The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 19, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

How many games do you think the opposition will get no power plays though? Let’s not put the cart before the horse. They almost gave up a 2 goal lead in the last few minutes against a team who played against a fast strong team last night and still needed Demko to basically stand on his head again. 

Would love to see your wish come true but they have a lot more to prove before I would think it is likely.

Agreed.  Like I said.....one game at a time.

If I’m Travis Green and I’m talking to the players, I don’t bring that $&!# up.  Why?  Because we are struggling right now and need something, anything, to a draw a positive from and pick ourselves off the mat.  We defeated a playoff caliber team tonight and that’s the only thing that matters right now.  One game down, 6-7 more to go.  The PK, the late goal, etc., equals a discussion for another time.  After such a terrible stretch, the only thing that should be said to the boys is “good job and onto the next one.”

Edited by Patel Bure

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Ya nothing says team unity and leadership more than insulting your pk’ers with a comment like that.

He’s part of the PK and he hasn’t been very sharp lately either. Colorado and tonight he was pretty good. He was definitely on the team level on the that road trip

Edited by Devron44

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah they're both not doing very well at the moment...  however the Elias contract is already signed, and there's no need to make the same mistake twice.  

So if our team is pretty far out of the playoffs and Minnesota comes in and offers up a 1st rounder and a grade A prospect, I think you have to take that and open up a spot for Hoglander/Podkolzin in the top 6 with an eye out for Klimovich in a year or two.  

Well both players are under contract, you just have to weigh who will be worth more in a few years and how long you can wait to make a move.  

Brock is an RFA, and I like his character more than Petey in their short careers which is why I resign Brock and kick the decision down the road. Put pressure on Pete to put his money where his mouth is. 

Trading either of them at this deadline for anything but a grand slam would be stupid since there's no reason to. If Hog/Pod want the top 6 they can play their way onto it.  

I'm happy for the boys, you can tell it was starting to get to them. But let's be real, that's one win after five losses where we mostly got lit up. Our PK is still a problem, most games we're not going to avoid taking penalties all game. And even then, Demko had to be sharp because the Jets got a lotttt of good looks tonight. 

I admire the optimism some of you seem to have, but I don't share it. Making the playoffs ain't impossible, but we're still more likely to miss. One game doesn't mitigate the struggle this season has been or the problems plaguing this team, though it might help. Time will tell. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

I'm happy for the boys, you can tell it was starting to get to them. But let's be real, that's one win after five losses where we mostly got lit up. Our PK is still a problem, most games we're not going to avoid taking penalties all game. And even then, Demko had to be sharp because the Jets got a lotttt of good looks tonight. 

I admire the optimism some of you seem to have, but I don't share it. Making the playoffs ain't impossible, but we're still more likely to miss. One game doesn't mitigate the struggle this season has been or the problems plaguing this team, though it might help. Time will tell. 

It sure doesn’t but I for one can enjoy it for a day or 2. Hopefully we can beat the scum bag Hawks and who knows for sure where we go. PK can’t click at 50% all year. Scared poopless of us getting penalties though 

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Pretty much agree. Although our PK was rock solid tonight :ph34r:

Green looks shell shocked, but at least we skated a bit. Would we have fared as well against Hellebuyck? Probably not, but thems the regular season breaks. Sunday should be interesting.

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah they're both not doing very well at the moment...  however the Elias contract is already signed, and there's no need to make the same mistake twice.  

So if our team is pretty far out of the playoffs and Minnesota comes in and offers up a 1st rounder and a grade A prospect, I think you have to take that and open up a spot for Hoglander/Podkolzin in the top 6 with an eye out for Klimovich in a year or two.  

Minnesota won’t do that.  They are still rebuilding and likely won’t even be able to afford Fiala at his current 5M.  Parise and Suter are going to combine for 13M on the books next season (an increase of 8M from this season) and then 15M for 2 more seasons after that.  They plan on injecting prospects/close to league minimum players to weather their cap commitment the next 3 years after this season. 

Doubt Boeser brings that kind of return either.  He has a 7.5M qualifying offer which puts whichever team that trades for him in risk of losing him in a year + having him on the books for more than he is worth when the cap can’t increase by more than 1M given the massive escrow deficit.

EDIT:  He's 2 years to UFA and not 1.  He's in year 5 and turns 25 this season so he won't reach either 27 or the 7 years required to become UFA by the end of next season.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, AC30 said:

So let’s get this straight - he as in TG messed with what was working and it backfired? 

we need to loose so that he gets fired 

He tends to make changes back to his supposed “safe” defensive players with the lead but it just ends up going back to the passive box D and they start getting peppered with chances. He should just leave what is working alone and push for more of the same but he doesn’t.

Canucks deserved to win this one, although they almost gave it away in the last two minutes.

Biggest difference in this game...  the team didn't take any penalties.  (with some kindness from the Refs... I think the striped shirts realized that 1st period boarding penalty when Hoglander was high sticked needed some makeup)

Yes, the team did score two PP goals, but I actually did not see a lot of difference in how the PP was structured... still very little movement, very static.  But given enough PP's any team will score at some time, and this game the Canucks finally put a couple in the net.  I didn't see that the re-shuffle of the personel in the PP made that much difference... it was just the same as the re-shuffle of the forward lines we regularly see.  The team needs a completely re-vamped PP which emphasizes player movement, fast puck movement and going to the net to get the greasy ones.

I think the Jets looked tired... they were back to back off a really hard fought game versus the Oilers which went to overtime.  Schieffle was almost invisible most of the game.  They finally woke up late in the third and really put pressure on Vancouver... and the Canucks with the usual collapse to the net made it easy... except that Demko decided enough of this and basically slammed the door.

Lets see if they can continue this positive note... I am not hopeful.

33 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Well both players are under contract, you just have to weigh who will be worth more in a few years and how long you can wait to make a move.  

Brock is an RFA, and I like his character more than Petey in their short careers which is why I resign Brock and kick the decision down the road. Put pressure on Pete to put his money where his mouth is. 

Trading either of them at this deadline for anything but a grand slam would be stupid since there's no reason to. If Hog/Pod want the top 6 they can play their way onto it.  

No one in their right mind is signing boeser to 8 mil.  Hes got slower every single year, hes not a line driver, and is a soft is a turnover machine.  You cant pay 8 mil for character.  

• Upvote 1