The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 19, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

27 minutes ago, rekker said:

Honestly. Jannik should be hired on in some capacity. See where he fits in and where he could move into a role. He's a success story that has battled for everything. He played the right way and listening to him, he's a very articulate speaker. That voice, lol. But articulate none the less.

The way he breaks things down in his interviews really provides good insight.  As an observer now, he's been there/done that and, as you say...he had to work for what he got out there.  It was hard earned.

I'd love to see him involved behind the scenes.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

I thought there was lift for both EP and Boeser tonight playing without Miller.  Generally Miller has been too selfish with the puck or a kinder way of putting it is on some lines there is not enough puck to go around.  EP in particular is infinitely more dangerous with the puck on his stick then playing without it.  When EP starts with the puck on the PP he’s real triple threat guy on pass shoot or dangle around you.  They had been using him like ovie where it’s like stand to the side and Bomb one timers.  Total waste of his talent.  Looking forward to more of what we saw tonight.

I thought so too...  

Maybe it's that the young guys are afraid to make a mistake knowing that a patented Miller F bomb is coming, followed by some lazy back checking. 

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What was dif last night?

TOI: Far more balance across the roster. Generates more team play and respect.
PP: Imagine 2 PP’s with almost equal TOI. Generates more compete. Who got their way?
Neutral zone: better puck pursuit and play disruption.

D-zone: better puck support and general better puck battles, better exit passes, dropping into a 2:2 zone play gets them in trouble. 
O-zone: Players to the net, imagine. 
Strong games: Garland, Podz, OEL, Burroughs

Honourable mention: Petey, Pearson, Dickenson

Good analysis @Boudrias

It was very interesting to see Pods out protecting a 1 goal lead in the last couple minutes.  We have one heck of a player coming along in him.  Potential Miller replacement in time?  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, nux_win said:

It was a good win but we didn't get any help from the refs.  It was yet another display of brutally incompetent refereeing from the NHL.  The only reason it looked like they were favouring us at times is that they missed obvious calls the other way (Pionk with the obvious roughing call in front of their net, Hughes getting tripped during the delayed penalty - those were both obvious penalties with the ref standing right there with no call - brutal).  NHL referees are either completely incompetent or let too many other factors into their penalty calling decisions (i.e. they are corrupt - "game management" is just corporate whitewash for using refereeing to influence the games).  I pick the latter.  I don't think that they are collectively that stupid or blind, just completely corrupt.  GCG!

That one was so obvious it wasn't funny! Even the first penalty called was made by the guy at the blueline, not the guy 10 feet away.

Happy for the win

wpj played the night before 

we played their back up 

we got the “ lucky” bounces 

demko still had to face 37 shots 

the refs didn’t  call a single penalty against us and the could have easily called at least 3.
the Jets are terrible pkers too. 

we took advantage of those things which is a positive. 

Step in the right direction but we need to win a few in a row. 
Reminds of when we beat Dallas then Tanked for 5. 

Demko could be this teams best draft pick under Benning. He’d be in vezina conversations if he played for a average to good team. 

#firebenning #FIREGREEN 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

We out-skated and out-competed them last night.  Not much more complicated than that.  Schieffele, Wheeler and Connor were non-factors, pretty much completely shut down. 

That pretty much sums it up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Honestly. Jannik should be hired on in some capacity. See where he fits in and where he could move into a role. He's a success story that has battled for everything. He played the right way and listening to him, he's a very articulate speaker. That voice, lol. But articulate none the less.

Honestly, with all the story’s coming out around the league lately, Bettman might have to hire his brother Chris 

68EA4E40-080E-454A-B9EC-65B27685D248.jpeg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

That pretty much sums it up

puck support was the other huge difference. it's the first game this year that I remember being able to count 5 blue sweaters on screen at the same time pretty much all game long.  

36 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The Canucks weren't short handed once last night.  That is a pretty good strategy to fix an ailing PK.

Their 5 on 5 play is ok in terms of not getting scored on a lot.  So just stay out of the penalty box, play disciplined and they have a chance

Unfortunately, that type of play is unsustainable. We will take penalties, and we need to get our P.K $&!# together.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

The way JB was talking before the draft, PLD was the guy he expected to pick.   Doubt we will know anytime soon who he really wanted, maybe it was just smoke and mirrors, but i was sad when CLB picked him as already was loving the idea of him on our team.  A big C with some nasty.   Used to be we had plenty of nasty on our team and size ... for decades really.   He'd fit in well in any of those teams. 

Big, nasty, and skilled. Haven't had a center like that in a while, last one I can think of is maybe Kesler. 

A combo of Dubois and Bo as center's would have been great. But noooo, CBJ had to a throw a wrench into things. That's hockey though. :(

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Big, nasty, and skilled. Haven't had a center like that in a while, last one I can think of is maybe Kesler. 

A combo of Dubois and Bo as center's would have been great. But noooo, CBJ had to a throw a wrench into things. That's hockey though. :(

Is there a C in the upcoming drafts or prospects to trade for that is like that (ie Kesler)?

Think we need a beefier C to win faceoffs and move EP to the wing.

Good to get the 2 points, but in all honesty, I think the refs helped the Canucks. Weird eh?  WPG had no PP time.  Might've been a very different outcome if the Canucks had to go on the PK. 

Nice the losing streak is over, but until they can win 3 in a row, I'll be cautiously optimistic. 

• Vintage 1

Maybe I’m pessimistic but we were outshot in a game the PP were lopsided. 

Our only penalty was an offsetting roughing call so we weren’t short handed at all.

It’s safe to say penalties are even or we even take 1/2 we lose that game. 

even that call on Logan Stanley vs petey I thought that was a weak call and petey fault. He got caught trying to reach around a a big guy and put himself in a vulnerable position. Feel his confidence is super low

demko had 0.949 save percentage and we scored 2 power play goals and had 0 pp to defend against a team coming off a back to back icing their back up tender.

im surprised we won and happy for the boys but I’m not excited or inspired by the win at all. we will see what we do to follow up this game

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Boys were in some ways lucky tonight considering they didn’t go to the penalty box at all? 

I’m not sure if not getting a penalty during the entire game is sustainable. Hawks are playing well. We’ll see, but I’m not super confident that if they had to kill a Blackhawks power play, that they would be able to do it. 

Even Hansen criticized the team’s performance on special teams (PK). 

The on ice product, is sooo bad that this forum is starting to sound like an echo chamber.  I am glad for the win but the obvious move is to replace the staff and just like with Gillis & Loungo: Greens two year extension, is complicating the decision.   Imo, the best move is to try the roster with a different coach before any more trades.   Plus, depending on the Zebras is a waste of time - especially, in the playoffs.

21 minutes ago, BPA said:

Is there a C in the upcoming drafts or prospects to trade for that is like that (ie Kesler)?

Think we need a beefier C to win faceoffs and move EP to the wing.

Ya Wright would be a game changer, geekie would be interesting he’s a very big boy 2 way player, and some other interesting high skill C options at the top of the draft.

if we pick top 10 really hope we get an impact rhd or a top 6 C to push petey to wing.

losing faith he can be an NHL #1 C. Still think a high scoring winger that specializes in zone reads, steals and defensive prowess on the boards is possible. He was an SHL star as a winger, and if he strengthens his body to a pro frame like a Hossa hopefully he could model his game after him to some extent.

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Maybe I’m pessimistic but we were outshot in a game the PP were lopsided. 

Our only penalty was an offsetting roughing call so we weren’t short handed at all.

It’s safe to say penalties are even or we even take 1/2 we lose that game. 

even that call on Logan Stanley vs petey I thought that was a weak call and petey fault. He got caught trying to reach around a a big guy and put himself in a vulnerable position. Feel his confidence is super low

demko had 0.949 save percentage and we scored 2 power play goals and had 0 pp to defend against a team coming off a back to back icing their back up tender.

im surprised we won and happy for the boys but I’m not excited or inspired by the win at all. we will see what we do to follow up this game

The Canucks outworked and outplayed the Jets.   That's why they won

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1