The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 21, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Look at the Islanders and Matt Barzel. Their expectation for this season is much higher than the Canucks. Does Barry Trotz get blamed as much as Green? Fans need to be fair and crap on Pettersson and Boeser more. They take up a huge chunk of the cap space. They are getting paid for merely trying right now. 

i dont think they played bad, instead they just suffer from confidence and puckluck......they are somewhat connected. we came close so many times but hit the posts so many times. on a positive note there were some shifts that looked really good in the offensive zone and we managed to keep it tight on the pk....its not a step forward compared to the previous game but its not a step backwards....keep it up and we should get a w again....

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Garland is quickly becoming one of the most underrated forwards in the NHL. Hands, speed, good shot, good defensively, never gives up on a puck, relentless on the boards, and makes everyone on his line better... at this point it doesn't even matter what OEL becomes in a few years, we won that trade by getting the wolverine. (Trying to change that 'elf' nickname thing)

Exactly.  And what really stands out for me is his agility/speed and ability to creep into spots (like here) where he's basically undetected but lethal.  He's so good.  

Wolverine....perfect.  I like it!  Let's get that going instead (hate angry elf) and make it stick!

• Cheers 3

51 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Look at the Islanders and Matt Barzel. Their expectation for this season is much higher than the Canucks. Does Barry Trotz get blamed as much as Green? Fans need to be fair and crap on Pettersson and Boeser more. They take up a huge chunk of the cap space. They are getting paid for merely trying right now. 

Lol blame Barry trotz? Really? Sorry what expectation were you expecting with the islanders? Their entire defense of 8 cost less than hughes + myer. Fan haven't been crapping on pettersson and boeser? Really? Last I checked pettersson been crapped on part of last season the entire summer and every game so far this year?. Swap the 2 coaches around. Green will prolly get lit up like a Xmas tree every game the defensive style he plays letting the other team get 30+ shots a night with that defense. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, John.Tallhouse said:

6E895100-3A4E-4F2F-97B7-9E3192EED07A.jpeg

It's quite telling that Canucks play for entertainment purposes only. It's no longer about winning hockey games. This mindset is completely unacceptable. I am very surprised that Francesco Aquillini seems to be OK with this mindset. He isn't doing anything about it. That's disappointing. I think the best thing to do is to relocate this franchise to Quebec. Bettman recently had talks about establishing a NHL franchise to Quebec again.

• Wat 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

I think this team got a bad reputation. When we had the rookie trio of Benning, Linden, and Dejardins it felt that nobody with a a good resume wanted to work with the organization and Linden was kind of there to improve the image. Outside of Judd Brackett and Ian Clark I haven't felt much confidence in this group. 

interesting point. What are the reasons headcoaches and / or assistant coaches with great resumes don't want to come to VAN and work for this franchise?

18 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Sorry what expectation were you expecting with the islanders?

Islanders are in Stanley Cup or bust mode. 

They have been to the ECF the last 2 seasons. They have been picked by many to get out of the East this season.

With those expectations, their start has been underwhelming. Now they are dealing with Covid. 

They have the team and coaching to right this ship. They have been having a heck of a time scoring goals and generating offense (ie. Barzal slow start). 

I think they will climb out of this poor start to make the playoffs and again, go on a serious run. Not so sure about our Nucks though. Like you stated, Petey and Boeser NEED to get going.

12 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

interesting point. What are the reasons headcoaches and / or assistant coaches with great resumes don't want to come to VAN and work for this franchise?

FA 

he’s hired rookie gms since he had control 

because he wants to be the gm without being the gm.

Burke was the last GM with a solid resume this club had.

puppets  and pets are what FA wants self respecting professionals won’t work in this environment. 
hence why we still have JB who’s been terrible. 

FA - win now 

Gillis its time to rebuild - FA your fired 

linden it’s time to rebuild -FA  your fired 

Benning yes sir right away sir 8 years of failing FA -good boy  your not fired 

#FIREBENNING #FIREGREEN

#SELLTHETEAM

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Islanders are in Stanley Cup or bust mode. 

They have been to the ECF the last 2 seasons. They have been picked by many to get out of the East this season.

With those expectations, their start has been underwhelming. Now they are dealing with Covid. 

They have the team and coaching to right this ship. They have been having a heck of a time scoring goals and generating offense (ie. Barzal slow start). 

I think they will climb out of this poor start to make the playoffs and again, go on a serious run. Not so sure about our Nucks though. Like you stated, Petey and Boeser NEED to get going.

Until last night, they’ve played all their games on the road (Islanders).  That was one of the major issues.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

The only people who thought the Canucks were going to be a playoff team this year was Canuck management.  The rest of the league had us missing the playoffs. 

This club has a ways to go before they are a contender.  It takes ten years to do a complete over hall and that would have been if they had of blown it up. The problem now will be players who are UFA's in two years. Can they resign them or turn them into high quality young assets.

There was never a way to speed this up. Benning was categorically wrong and the owners were wrong to believe it.

You draft , draft , draft and then develop them. Some make it and some don't. Petey may or may not become a star.  Some players come in with a boom and go out as a bust. Some struggle then find their way. The solution is to just continue to draft and develop. 

The Canucks have never built a winning organizational structure. One that can continually supply talent. Moving their farm to lower main land is a good start.

Fans need to stop looking at the now and focus on the long term. If you ever want a cup "that is the way"

You are bang on. The Monday morning coaches and GM’s are in full force which is expected. IMHO a lot of fans cannot handle certain realities. Growing a team to a Cup is not given success. Evaluating all aspects of the org is a given and will generate appropriate changes. Knee jerk reactions doesn’t lend itself to long term success. I don’t view the current Canuck roster as a complete rebuild. IMHO what we have really started in 2014. This effort has always been a calculated effort that appeases the fan base more than ripped into a full rebuild. The fans kinda get what they ask for. We want change but we want a CUP contender at the same time. So JB makes his draft picks but signs a Erickson (well received at the time), appeases the media, blah, blah, blah. Now fans are unhappy that a couple of young players (Petey & Hughes) can’t drive the team more than they do. They could easily be a couple of years away from grounding their game. 

Not a problem questioning or guessing at solutions. My biggest one right now is BB? If I worry about any player it is why his game doesn’t have more consistency, more versatility? 

Canucks dominate the Hawks, hit 6 posts and bars, should have won 6-0. They played a great game. What did the team learn from the game? IMO this group is learning that talent alone doesn’t win games. Are they headed in the right direction? I think so. 

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

He broke up that line in the third period.

From what I have seen it appears that in game this is what Green seems to default to ard that line juggling is one of the only tools he has in his in-game toolbox to try to spark the team.

Rather than coming up with set plays or changing the system line juggling seems to be Green\s automatic default and is why he gets out coached.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Until last night, they’ve played all their games on the road (Islanders).  That was one of the major issues.

Yup and we whine about starting on the road with  or 7 games, whe NYI had double that...add Covid going through the team and they were destined to have a bad start imo. Play a ton of home games over the next quarter of the season.

• Cheers 1