Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Laffy's stats

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=208990

Virtanens stats

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=149178

They are comparable to about the same ppg average over games played at this stage of laffys career and Virtanens full 2nd year.  Potential and pedigree pay the bills as much as exposure bucks

1 minute ago, 70seven said:

Rather keep Miller honestly

It would be tough, a difficult decision.   Hughes - Carlo pairing is intriguing though.

I wonder, all of these trade proposals with Lafreniere or Kakko, a 1st and Schneider etc. if that's just dreaming.

What is the realistic return for Miller?  I hear it's a 1st, a prospect and a player. I'm assuming "the player" has to already have a sizable contract to make the money work for both teams.

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Seravalli reported a few days ago that NYR, BOS, MIN and CGY are interested in JT Miller

One of the trades proposed I've seen is:

to BOS - Miller, Poolman and 3rd (2022)

to VAN - Carlo, Debrusk and 1st (2022)

The money works out almost even

Thoughts?

Boston needs to add. Debrusk is basically a cap dump at this point and that will be a late first. I like Carlo but not Miller-level like.

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Laffy's stats

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=208990

Virtanens stats

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=149178

They are comparable to about the same ppg average over games played at this stage of laffys career and Virtanens full 2nd year.  Potential and pedigree pay the bills as much as exposure bucks

In Virtanen's third year after the draft he only had 1 point in 10 NHL games. They are not really comparables. 

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Seravalli reported a few days ago that NYR, BOS, MIN and CGY are interested in JT Miller

Thoughts?

Keep in mind that the 1st will be a late one, so really it’s like a second.

No thanks.

29 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

In Virtanen's third year after the draft he only had 1 point in 10 NHL games. They are not really comparables. 

Bottom line is that it is inarguable that Lafrenier is looking more and more bust like for his draft spot as the months go on.

But low

I would easily move Miller for either Kakko/Schneider, Lafren/Schneider, or Kravtsov/Schneider/1st.  It just feels like too good of a fit for us and the Rangers for it not to happen.  I'm sure this is more in line with what Miller would aim for with regards to a destination, but who knows.

I wonder if the Minnesota discussion is more around Boeser for Fiala.  I think Fiala is the more dynamic player, but Boeser may have the marketability in Minn, but also the higher qualifying offer which impacts us in the short term.

Overall I think the Rangers deal gives Petey a future linemate for the long term, the Minny deal gives us a player with similar drive to Horvat to pair with him, plus we get a top 4 RD to grow with the team.  Could be a major step in the right direction.

17 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would easily move Miller for either Kakko/Schneider, Lafren/Schneider, or Kravtsov/Schneider/1st.  It just feels like too good of a fit for us and the Rangers for it not to happen.  I'm sure this is more in line with what Miller would aim for with regards to a destination, but who knows.

I wonder if the Minnesota discussion is more around Boeser for Fiala.  I think Fiala is the more dynamic player, but Boeser may have the marketability in Minn, but also the higher qualifying offer which impacts us in the short term.

Overall I think the Rangers deal gives Petey a future linemate for the long term, the Minny deal gives us a player with similar drive to Horvat to pair with him, plus we get a top 4 RD to grow with the team.  Could be a major step in the right direction.

Boeser for Fiala is not likely.  For cap reasons - the Wild are in a far deeper mess than Vancouver with 13M-15M in dead cap for the coming 3 seasons.  They likely won't even be able to retain Fiala whose qualifying offer is much lower.   Fiala has also been the more productive player while playing with significantly worse linemates.

Guerin doesn't believe in targeting local players - was asked about it.  Fan favourites have been from all over the world and he has actually shipped local players out.  Russo also shot down the idea that it would matter. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Miller has all but said trade me to a contender while you can. We have nothing against Vancouver but my family and I are out of here as soon as possible.

He's as good as gone. We're just waiting for the best deal. Lol sorry to break it to you but you'll be thanking me in 3 years.

Oh cool.

Article? Radio interview? TV interview? Someone you know has information? 1st source?

Thanks

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I would like some sort of proof 

56 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Oh cool.

Article? Radio interview? TV interview? Someone you know has information? 1st source?

Thanks

Ha, sorry I was just messing around a bit. He hasn't said it literally but he's never even come out with a half-assed statement saying he'd like to win a Cup here, he believes in the team, or any scrap at all committing to the Canucks in the future.

Also add to that he never asked to be traded here in the first place and he's in a position to write his own ticket. Factor in that he's spent the majority of his time here suffering through crappy Covid seasons and the team is in a state or retooling. As an American who will probably be a star in the next Olympics I don't see anything whatsoever suggesting he's going to sign a retirement contract to play out his career in Canada.

It would be a massive mistake not to trade him if the rumors of teams chasing him are true. I just don't see evidence or logic leading him to stay here. Unless he tells management he's dying to stay here and will sign long-term for x amount, and even that comes with risk.

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Smart man. target best players available. 

everyone says that, but thats a moving target. So much depends on a teams internal scouting and future needs. Look at Stevie Y, reached down for Seider who wasn't the consensus BPA at 6 but thats working out nicely. 

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

everyone says that, but thats a moving target. So much depends on a teams internal scouting and future needs. Look at Stevie Y, reached down for Seider who wasn't the consensus BPA at 6 but thats working out nicely. 

Some of us had him up there :bigblush:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Thoughts?

Not for Miller. Maybe for Garland. If they want Miller they have to add to that.

It must be a very difficult decision for management, on what to do with JT Miller. 

Trading him would fetch a big haul, starting with an extra 1st and a good young player/prospect. That would really help the Canucks future. 

Selling it to a young roster that is dying to get to the playoffs would be a tough job, though. Horvat, Hughes, OEL and Garland etc. want to get in badly, and trading the team's best player, heart and soul leader, sends a message "we're going to step back and take our time here". They just recently lost core guys in Markstrom and Tanev.

I think the only way it works is if the return coming back is significant, and to help the team now. 

Hypothetically, what if there was a mega deal trade with STL - Miller, Motte and Schenn to the Blues for Robert Thomas, Colton Parayko and 1st?  Luke gets to play with his bro and try to win a Cup together. Nice story.  Although, not sure about Parayko's infinity contract, but that's why STL gives up their 1st. I dunno, it's hypothetical. 

Or, what if they decide to keep Miller? If they re-signed him for say...$7 x 3 (he'll be 33 when his extension ends).  But in order to do so, they need to unload salary. And that's only if he really wants to play in VAN. He may want a 5 year term instead with a full NTC.

Difficult decisions