The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

One thing that perplexes me is that people really seem to be biting on all these rumors out there and seem to think that GM's announce all their business and possible trades as tweets... But c'mon there is no groundbreaking journalism going on here. These guys are just people like us who can use google and imagine possible trades, and then totally make this stuff up.

I wouldn't get to wrapped up into what the media reports. They're really not part of the process at all and are just guessing like we are. I would imagine if you took all trade rumors and compared them to actual trades they're less than 5% accurate over time. Have faith Jimmy. Maybe some of the reports are even accurate and that's why we haven't pulled the trigger yet but there is a real possibility the trade will look nothing like what's being reported and we do indeed get a more established player back like you wish.

One thing does seem certain our management has repeatedly indicated our window is 2 or more years away so some logical deduction does make it seem like JT is on the way out the door.

A lot of them yes make stuff up, I agree, but some of them got real connections inside teams and NHL offices.  I get there is a lot of click bait and we like to bash on them, me first, but the majority of them are still professional and have real information.  Are there exaggeration, of course.

They can't be 100% accurate either...I mean teams don't decide to put a player on the market, talk to 1 teams and that trade happens.  I would assume if JT Miller is on the market, JR would have at least 10 meaningful conversation with others teams.  If those 10 conversations gets leak, there can only be one trade, therefore your rumors cannot ever be more than 5-10% accurate anyways, even if they are all real.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JM_ said:

I heard that they wen't close to a Malkin extension tho. 

Zucker will be hard to move for sure. They don't really have the assets to sell him off either. 

They aren't but they are trying:

"First and foremost, we would like to sign Geno, so we'll work through that," Hextall said. "If at some point we realize that can't happen, then we'll certainly look elsewhere. But right now, our focus is on Geno."

2 minutes ago, mll said:

They aren't but they are trying:

"First and foremost, we would like to sign Geno, so we'll work through that," Hextall said. "If at some point we realize that can't happen, then we'll certainly look elsewhere. But right now, our focus is on Geno."

He isn't worth 9.5 anymore and its an over 35 contract, so really it can't be more than for one year. Letang will get a multi-year deal but he's held up physically better. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

He isn't worth 9.5 anymore and its an over 35 contract, so really it can't be more than for one year. Letang will get a multi-year deal but he's held up physically better. 

They are apparently talking 3 years so that it coincides with Crosby.   

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

some of the best Captains I've ever played with weren't boisterous, rah rah guys.  We followed because they were calm and collected and tyhen went out there and led by example.  Most players eventually tune out the very vocal leaders

This is something that bugs me when it comes to captaincy talk around these parts, or maybe it's just an NHL thing in general. But it seems a lot of folks have a prototypical idea of what a captain should be and anything that deviates from that isn't a good fit or is somehow undeserving. There seems to be this theme where a captain's got to be big, tough, a high quality/elite level player, vocal, and passionate in a more animated sense; it reads like a shopping list and doesn't leave space for individuals who don't fit this cookie cutter mold.  

Yes, the captaincy is important but some folks seem to attach some sort of mythology to it. 

Some of it comes down to an individual take, some of it is likely a norm that's developed amongst hockey fans over time, some of it's fans being impatient, and some of it is people simply being unrealistic. But sports fans in general can be a rabid bunch, it was only a few months ago the overall sentiment seemed to be that Bo didn't have "it" and needed to be shipped out, and then he went on a tear and made a lot of folks look pretty stupid. Losing him was the last straw at a critical time and the team just didn't have it without him. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

This is something that bugs me when it comes to captaincy talk around these parts, or maybe it's just an NHL thing in general. But it seems a lot of folks have a prototypical idea of what a captain should be and anything that deviates from that isn't a good fit or is somehow undeserving. There seems to be this theme where a captain's got to be big, tough, a high quality/elite level player, vocal, and passionate in a more animated sense; it reads like a shopping list and doesn't leave space for individuals who don't fit this cookie cutter mold.  

Yes, the captaincy is important but some folks seem to attach some sort of mythology to it. 

Some of it comes down to an individual take, some of it is likely a norm that's developed amongst hockey fans over time, some of it's fans being impatient, and some of it is people simply being unrealistic. But sports fans in general can be a rabid bunch, it was only a few months ago the overall sentiment seemed to be that Bo didn't have "it" and needed to be shipped out, and then he went on a tear and made a lot of folks look pretty stupid. Losing him was the last straw at a critical time and the team just didn't have it without him. 

Really, the job of the captain, at that level is more of a conduit between coaching staff and players.  Once you hit junior and above, the coaching staff and rank and file players don't have a lot of contact, to be honest.  The coaches communicate with the leadership group and the messages filter down from there........very much like the military

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yes that's what I meant. Some people take these leaks as gospel and then speculate based on that or try to do things like condemn a possible trade when they really only have a tiny bit (5%) of the information. People should understand/remember most GM's are probably quite good at not blabbing their personal boardroom talk to others. In a situation like this where a player like Miller is involved there could easily be 50 different ways a deal could get made across 7-10 teams. Also things like missing a piece in a four player deal can make quite a difference. Sometimes insiders only hear parts of the info. This happens quite frequently where the additional parts to a rumor end up being quite significant and a good trade in the end.

I should rephrase my statement though. Yes some of them have real connections but we have no way of verifying how accurate any of these statements are so we should be taking them all with a grain of salt. Some people are so down and convinced we'll get nothing for JT based on some random tweet out of New York 2/3 months ago. At the end of of the day Miller is a hell of a player and definitely worth some good parts in a trade. We'll have to see what happens but I believe the return will both be good and probably contain some surprise parts as well.

Heaven forbid you try to contradict somebody around here who has some kind of social media post backing up a completely fabricated rumor from some supposed insider lol, they can become irate....it's laughable how gullible some people are and how seriously they take these people who's primary job it is to simply generate 'hits and clicks' for their sites.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

he's not really the player he once was tho. 

Hmm you could be right but that comes with age. Over a PPG at age 34 this past season sounds like Crosby still if you ask me. He hasn't had 1 season where he has not had a PPG I believe.

Edited by HOFsedins

37 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Heaven forbid you try to contradict somebody around here who has some kind of social media post backing up a completely fabricated rumor from some supposed insider lol, they can become irate....it's laughable how gullible some people are and how seriously they take these people who's primary job it is to simply generate 'hits and clicks' for their sites.

These sport media bozos are starving for controversy to get ratings. It’s a cut throat business and most of what they say are lies or half truths. Don’t want to sound like I wear tin foil hats but this goes beyond, including the mainstream media. 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

well... what if Pits isn't going to re-sign Malkin?

Go with Miller @2.65 mil for year instead, don't re-sign Zucker the year after when Miller gets paid big $,  they re-sign Rakell, and if they trade us Marino maybe they still have the cap room to go after Klingberg or Manson. That low initial year of Miller makes a lot of moves possible. 

Marino could be available in a scenario like this where Burkie goes after a UFA RHD. I suspect they could attract one of those two guys if they replace Malkin with Miller. 

So:

Miller 50% retained for Marino, Bluger, 2022 1st (21st oa), 2023 2nd?

KUZMENKO - MALKIN - PODKOLZIN

STOP

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

Hmm you could be right but that comes with age. Over a PPG at age 34 this past season sounds like Crosby still if you ask me. He hasn't had 1 season where he has not had a PPG I believe.

if I were a Pens fan, I'd be hoping for 1 year deals but its hard to say if Malkin would go for that. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

I wouldn't be thrilled, but I'm starting to see that this might be where the team is headed. If we could land a more established RHD I'd feel better about it.

I think pretty highly of Schneider so if he was in a package I’d be extremely happy, I really do t see the Rangers giving up a package with him in it though 

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I still don't see the Rags trading for JT, but if it did happen, I would want Kravtsov included.  He is an RFA now.

Ranger's need a top 6 RW; maybe they take Garland + 2nd (2023)  for Kravstov + Lundkvist

I think any trade they make they’re going to be looking to include Kravstov, he doesn’t want to be there and that bridge may be burned so I imagine they look to move him and of all their young pieces on D I’d think they probably prefer to move Lundqvist too

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I think pretty highly of Schneider so if he was in a package I’d be extremely happy, I really do t see the Rangers giving up a package with him in it though 

they are going to have to give up something more than Chytil and Lundkvist tho. We can probably get equal value at that level from a lot of teams. 

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

they are going to have to give up something more than Chytil and Lundkvist tho. We can probably get equal value at that level from a lot of teams. 

Honestly, I'd prefer that Marino, Blomqvist, Poulin and 1st theoretical package from PIT.

I don't mind either Chytil or Lundkvist as "parts" but we can do better if they're supposed to be NYR's main pieces.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Honestly, I'd prefer that Marino, Blomqvist, Poulin and 1st theoretical package from PIT.

I don't mind either Chytil or Lundkvist as "parts" but we can do better if they're supposed to be NYR's main pieces.

at least Marino makes compete sense as a "now" piece. It might even let us move Myers. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1