The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

It's just as likely that trading Miller will help the chemistry on the team, as his fiery personality is one that can potentially create division. 

Among the fans, for sure.  Don't know about the players.  If any are offended by his competitiveness maybe they should be playing for another team

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Well I have said this before which makes a lot more sense we resign both with front loaded contracts so the cap hit is way less and they get more money sooner.In case we have to trade them at any time we would have paid them and will be easier to trade if things do not work out.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Rutherford said he's not going to panic til the trade deadline.

March 21? I figure the panic should start sooner like January.  This gives enough time to negotiate between parties involved. I think he should aim for the xmas break to get things rolling.  Time will go too fast and we can't rush this deal too much to get our value.

If JT extends?

Nevermind.

My concern with Miller playing this season without a contract is with our owner allowing a TDL Trade that will definitely hurt the club’s playoff chances.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Great player but doesn't fit the timeline. I would re-up Miller first. A main reason for moving Miller is age and Landeskog is 29 as well. 

Age AND $$$... Landeskrog 7M v Miller at ? $$$...

I love Miller as well, but it has to work cap wise...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

We could always do a different trade to get a rhd like Pearson or Garland deal.

When was the last time a team traded a solid young right D for a winger especially an older middle six one. 
If Pearson brings back a RD it would be of third pairing quality or be dramatically overpaid. 
Garland may get you a B prospect at RD. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

depends on which side he plays I guess.  My understanding is that he can pay both sides, though I'm having trouble confirming that, but if he plays on the right side, I'd pair him with OEL probably.  If he plays on the left side, I'd play him with Myers or Dermott.

Girard would instantly be the best skater on the team and add a significant boost to offense from the backend and give them two (three if you consider OEL) top end offensive dmen on the PP and bring some much needed balance to the two pp units.  If the mantra for the draft is BPA, then maybe that same philosophy is required for a Miller deal and Girard is an outstanding dman who is cost controlled for the forseeable future.

add Newhok to that deal and it mght be the best they can get

Just a question, could you not just keep the OEL Myers pairing intact and play Hughes Right side with Girard? 

If OEL is going to be the defend Dman in his pairing, he might as well stay with Myers?

• Cheers 1

On 7/20/2022 at 3:25 PM, RWJC said:

Fletcher as GM has been abysmal.

whether it’s bad luck or bad choices x especially with contract, he’s really messed up what Hextall left him with. Not saying. Hextall was the greatest either, but PHI should be waaaaaaay further ahead than where they are by now 

If miller signs short term it will be 4-5 years to ensure he can still net a 3-5 year contract without the cap recapture 35 year old player issue

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

Not once year 3 or 4 hits I bet. 

Well I don't expect him to fall over a cliff edge in 3 years, maybe in 4-5 years. 

I'd rather do that than see him walk for next to nothing... 

So a bunch of the fans and media surrounding this team are really starting to get on my nerves, before free agency started the narrative was there’s no rush for the team to do anything with Miller blah blah blah now we’re only on day 10 of free agency and the same people are freaking out why haven’t we done anything with Miller! Like geez have some patience and stick with the original plan of not having to rush it…

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I will add that Miller seemed to have matured as the season went on. I believe that Bruce had a real impact on Miller growing as a leader, as well as influencing teammates (even Bo) to accept him as their emotional leader. 

Miller won't be accepting anything in the 7s, so I think that's a pipe dream. I still think Carolina, NJ, and both NYs will circle back and someone will give us something we want; I just don't think it will negatively impact the team chemistry like some think it will. 

oh, I agree an AAV in the 7’s is a pipe dream. And that’s why the best move for our long term prospects to win a cup is for JT to be traded for some assets that will help us win it all in 3 or 4 years.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

Why did cowgary trade their best player for two guys in Miller's situation if these guys " loss value by the day " and / or " will get injured + walk to ufa "

Fans just need to admit they have no patience and convince themselves of things that just aren't true lol

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

Why did cowgary trade their best player for two guys in Miller's situation if these guys " loss value by the day " and / or " will get injured + walk to ufa "

Fans just need to admit they have no patience and convince themselves of things that just aren't true lol

Division champ, second in west. 
‘Different position than playoff also ran. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Just a question, could you not just keep the OEL Myers pairing intact and play Hughes Right side with Girard? 

If OEL is going to be the defend Dman in his pairing, he might as well stay with Myers?

Yup, that'd work too, but you'd have two small guys on one pairing.  However, Girard is actually a solid defender, which would be a must with Hughes (though he is improving his d)

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

My guess they got some assurances that Huberdeau, at least, was favourable to an extension 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Yup, that'd work too, but you'd have two small guys on one pairing.  However, Girard is actually a solid defender, which would be a must with Hughes (though he is improving his d)

Aye and that was kind of my point... 

Hughes needs someone to help him defensively, while OEL Myers pairing worked well, although it stifled OEL offensively.

• Vintage 1