The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

7 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Good breakdown. The closeness with contract negotiating is still in the air. He said something like "we're not as close as we want to be", which to me seems like it might get there. At the same time, I easily could've missed another moment where he said they're not close, which is a little more substantial. I forgot about the "is what it is" part, though, so I agree that it might be further away than I'm hoping for. 

The whole points thing is throwing me for a loop. His thoughts really do make me think that they may find common ground in the end and maybe it's more of an Allvin/agent thing at the moment, but JT may just sign something reasonable last minute before camp. 

Well, we have another 870 pages to go before we hit the next major milestone, so let's discuss :bigblush:

I think that is backwards

I would bet Allvin would love to have JT signed, but it is JR (who's position is too look out for the long term health of the club) not in a rush

JR earlier stated paying a guy 6 yrs he wouldn't expect to be getting the same production after 3 yrs (so thinking he has no inclination for 8 years at all)

I also think JR is saying why would I be willing to pay you $8+ million at 36 when guys like 36 Krejci ($1 mil),37 Bergeron ($2.5),34 Giroux ($6.5),36 Malkin ($6.1),35 Pavelski, ($5.5), 35 Cogliano,$1.25,38 Parise $750k, 38 Giordano ($800k), 34 Clutterbuck (1.75) sign for less

I believe JR is saying i will pay you great until 34 (JT turns 30 in Mar) and perhaps negotiate to 36 (It will depend on what JT expects in those final 2 years)

I don't think JR wants to gamble on what kinda player he will be paying top $ until 36 (The guys above have Proven they can still play and be effective at that age and why they still can sign contracts

The league is getting younger, quicker than ever before

I think they want him on the team and are exhausting all avenues, and if they can't get something done, then they will approach JT asking for a list of teams he would prefer to be dealt too and see what those teams might be interested in for him (If the Canucks don't see any good value in those trades, JT may then reconsider Canucks offer? or maybe the Canucks get an offer they would accept and let JT renegotiate a new contract with that team (maybe a chance he isn't overwhelmed by the offer and decides to take the  Canucks offer after all)?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well, I think Miller is gone, and New Jersey is the likely place..........

Here is why...........

We keep on yacking about developing players in a winning atmosphere, well, New Jersey had a .384 winning percentage last year, and "IF" Kadri signs with New York Islanders, it will even be harder to win, with their current lineup, so I see Miller as the best option to help their team through this transition. So if that is an important factor, then something has to give. Secondly, they have Severson, who has become less important over the summer, both short term and long term, and which Vancouver sorely needs.

"IF" Kadri does not sign with the Islanders, then it gives the Devils, the incentive to actually climb over the Islanders, if he does they need someone to counter that signing, and Miller is the only guy, who really changes that competitive dynamic. they would be fighting for the 4th and 5th spots in the Eastern Conference and against the 4th place team in the Atlantic.

There will not be another "Miller" type player on the market for the next 3/4 years, that a team move, while competing............Miller is the best and most versatile player on the market.

Conversely, the Islanders are in somewhat the same spot, with a older group of players, "IF" the Islander do not sign Kadri, they don't compete, "AGAIN!", So, I feel the rumor is probably true, and he will end up on the Island. If he doesn't. look for the Islanders to be interested in Miller...............

The return will be somewhat underwhelming in some aspects................

If it's the Devils..........................Severson, a protected 2023 1st (protected), and ???????????????????

If Kadri goes back to Colorado, I’d love to see NYI and NJD compete to get JT.

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I would bet Allvin would love to have JT signed, but it is JR (who's position is too look out for the long term health of the club) not in a rush

JR earlier stated paying a guy 6 yrs he wouldn't expect to be getting the same production after 3 yrs (so thinking he has no inclination for 8 years at all)

I also think JR is saying why would I be willing to pay you $8+ million at 36 when guys like 36 Krejci ($1 mil),37 Bergeron ($2.5),34 Giroux ($6.5),36 Malkin ($6.1),35 Pavelski, ($5.5), 35 Cogliano,$1.25,38 Parise $750k, 38 Giordano ($800k), 34 Clutterbuck (1.75) sign for less

I believe JR is saying i will pay you great until 34 (JT turns 30 in Mar) and perhaps negotiate to 36 (It will depend on what JT expects in those final 2 years)

I don't think JR wants to gamble on what kinda player he will be paying top $ until 36 (The guys above have Proven they can still play and be effective at that age and why they still can sign contracts

I think they want him on the team and are exhausting all avenues, and if they can't get something done, then they will approach JT asking for a list of teams he would prefer to be dealt too and see what those teams might be interested in for him (If the Canucks don't see any good value in those trades, JT may then reconsider Canucks offer? or maybe the Canucks get an offer they would accept and let JT renegotiate a new contract with that team (maybe a chance he isn't overwhelmed by the offer and decides to take the  Canucks offer after all)?

Good points. Management needs to get on top of this and show JT that if he really wants a monster contract that we can’t afford, all the other teams could potentially be the same position, thus dialling down any over the top expectations.

He could end up signing another 1 or 2 year extension, opening the door to another contract later when the Cap goes up more significantly and when we or other teams have more Cap space.

Right now we have most teams “Capped out”, which is why it’s so hard to make a trade. No one wants to just give away good players (except for Vegas)….

• Cheers 1

We are going to be a powerhouse this year offensively.  We have one of the best top 9 forward groups in the entire NHL, we have one of the best left sided D in the Western Conference who can all move the puck and we have a world class Vezina candidate goalie.

I think JT knows this and so he is probably thinking that he can have another monster year.  If he can stay healthy I think he can put up 100+ points next year with Boudreau at the helm from the beginning and with Petey coming in to also have a monster year.  We are so good up front that Horvat and Garland will be on the 3rd line.

Not trading Miller prior to training camp might backfire on the Canucks.  Miller might be the best UFA next summer not named MacKinnon or Pastrnak, who will both likely re-sign with their current teams.

No reason Miller can't get a 9x7 contract next summer if he has another monster year.

Also, in terms of the 2023 TDL, forget trying to trade Miller at that time.  If the season goes as expected we will probably be buyers not sellers.  If we pick up a guy like Severson at the deadline there is no reason we can't challenge Colorado in the playoffs.  Remember that Colorado got a new goalie this summer, so they don't really have a true #1 netminder, while we have a guy who can potentially win a series on his own.  Plus our power play and penalty killing will be much improved this year.

Picking up a guy like De Haan could solidify our D, especially if Poolman is 100% ready to go.  I'm pumped for the season really.  I think we have real shot at winning our division.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We are going to be a powerhouse this year offensively.  We have one of the best top 9 forward groups in the entire NHL, we have one of the best left sided D in the Western Conference who can all move the puck and we have a world class Vezina candidate goalie.

I think JT knows this and so he is probably thinking that he can have another monster year.  If he can stay healthy I think he can put up 100+ points next year with Boudreau at the helm from the beginning and with Petey coming in to also have a monster year.  We are so good up front that Horvat and Garland will be on the 3rd line.

Not trading Miller prior to training camp might backfire on the Canucks.  Miller might be the best UFA next summer not named MacKinnon or Pastrnak, who will both likely re-sign with their current teams.

No reason Miller can't get a 9x7 contract next summer if he has another monster year.

Also, in terms of the 2023 TDL, forget trying to trade Miller at that time.  If the season goes as expected we will probably be buyers not sellers.  If we pick up a guy like Severson at the deadline there is no reason we can't challenge Colorado in the playoffs.  Remember that Colorado got a new goalie this summer, so they don't really have a true #1 netminder, while we have a guy who can potentially win a series on his own.  Plus our power play and penalty killing will be much improved this year.

Picking up a guy like De Haan could solidify our D, especially if Poolman is 100% ready to go.  I'm pumped for the season really.  I think we have real shot at winning our division.

it's the off-season, so optimism galore! 

I think it's fair to say that we could win our division, it's not that strong. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Pretty sure JR has said a few times, like Allvin, that he would prefer to sign Miller but at something that works. But I think you're right in that teams aren't lining up to sign him for top dollar and term and that Miller may circle back to sign something reasonable with us, which is why I mentioned I think it's merely a negotiating thing right now between PA and the agent and I predict a deal will get done with us around the mid- to high-50mil range. 

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Pretty sure JR has said a few times, like Allvin, that he would prefer to sign Miller but at something that works. But I think you're right in that teams aren't lining up to sign him for top dollar and term and that Miller may circle back to sign something reasonable with us, which is why I mentioned I think it's merely a negotiating thing right now between PA and the agent and I predict a deal will get done with us around the mid- to high-50mil range. 

JT's reasoning might be, if he has to take a discount he could wait a year and take a discount to play in Pitt. 6x$8.5M is $51M, they could offer $10x3, then $7x3 perhaps. So it may come down to adding one more year, then they're getting very close to $60M and that does it?

31 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I don't get why people think Miller is some altruistic guy who is going to compromise and sign this very reasonable deal.........he ain't and he won't.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't get why people think Miller is some altruistic guy who is going to compromise and sign this very reasonable deal.........he ain't and he won't.

That might be the best deal he can find.  Gaudreau had only 2 concrete offers after moving on from Calgary - NJD and Columbus.  No other team made a bid because they had no cap space.  

The escrow balance isn't projected to be paid out next season - ie a cap increase of 1M at most.  Cap space will be just as scarce.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

That might be the best deal he can find.  Gaudreau had only 2 concrete offers after moving on from Calgary - NJD and Columbus.  No other team made a bid because they had no cap space.  

The escrow balance isn't projected to be paid out next season - ie a cap increase of 1M at most.  Cap space will be just as scarce.  

It only takes one big offer.  Miller will get his payday

44 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I don’t think miller wants to be here and I don’t think he’s part of the JR-PA plan both sides just saying the “right” things. Jt doesn’t want to say he wants out then get a great offer or have to play out his deal in front of fans that he’s just keslered, pa/jr don’t want to say he’s not part of the future because they arent JB stupid and know  it would hurt his trade value. 

So I highly doubt he circles around and I highly doubt pa/JR moves from what he’ll pay . If he’s going to take less he might as well wait till he’s a UFA and most likely still make more than what we’re offering.

if he can duplicate last season he’ll get paid as a ufa. 
if he can’t nobody will be sad we aren’t paying him 7-8+mill for the next7- 8 years 

Besides all that 
we have no nhl prospects and Our cap is screwed  fans just starting to see the cost of eight years of stupid. 

38 minutes ago, aliboy said:

JT's reasoning might be, if he has to take a discount he could wait a year and take a discount to play in Pitt. 6x$8.5M is $51M, they could offer $10x3, then $7x3 perhaps. So it may come down to adding one more year, then they're getting very close to $60M and that does it?

From JT's words, he wants to be here and loves playing for the Canucks and the team we're creating. He also said he enjoys the role he plays with us and that it would likely be diminished elsewhere. 7yX8.25AAV hits a dollar amount that he could very well be okay with. 

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

Something in the mid- to high 50mill range is not some sort of compromise. 

17 minutes ago, combover said:

I don’t think miller wants to be here and I don’t think he’s part of the JR-PA plan both sides just saying the “right” things. Jt doesn’t want to say he wants out then get a great offer or have to play out his deal in front of fans that he’s just keslered, pa/jr don’t want to say he’s not part of the future because they arent JB stupid and know  it would hurt his trade value. 

So I highly doubt he circles around and I highly doubt pa/JR moves from what he’ll pay . If he’s going to take less he might as well wait till he’s a UFA and most likely still make more than what we’re offering.

if he can duplicate last season he’ll get paid as a ufa. 
if he can’t nobody will be sad we aren’t paying him 7-8+mill for the next7- 8 years 

Besides all that 
we have no nhl prospects and Our cap is screwed  fans just starting to see the cost of eight years of stupid. 

Go watch the podcast with him. He clearly wants to be here and isn't just talking out his arse. What we're seeing is very similar to what we saw with Brock. Both sides were playing a game of brinksmanship, the player comes out multiple times to say how much they want to be here, and then close to the last minute kapow, we signed Brock to something that works for both sides. Miller at eight years is a little much, but Miller at seven years is palatable.

JR has also publicly said that a team having a contract that isn't the most favourable in the latter years is not the end of the world, and most teams have a contract like that, which is why it won't surprise me if we sign him to 7X8.25. Some reports said we're offering him something in the 7m range, so coming up a million'ish and Miller coming down a year is not a unreasonable prediction. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

From JT's words, he wants to be here and loves playing for the Canucks and the team we're creating. He also said he enjoys the role he plays with us and that it would likely be diminished elsewhere. 7yX8.25AAV hits a dollar amount that he could very well be okay with. 

Something in the mid- to high 50mill range is not some sort of compromise. 

Go watch the podcast with him. He clearly wants to be here and isn't just talking out his arse. What we're seeing is very similar to what we saw with Brock. Both sides were playing a game of brinksmanship, the player comes out multiple times to say how much they want to be here, and then close to the last minute kapow, we signed Brock to something that works for both sides. Miller at eight years is a little much, but Miller at seven years is palatable.

JR has also publicly said that a team having a contract that isn't the most favourable in the latter years is not the end of the world, and most teams have a contract like that, which is why it won't surprise me if we sign him to 7X8.25. Some reports said we're offering him something in the 7m range, so coming up a million'ish and Miller coming down a year is not a unreasonable prediction. 

C'mon, JG said the same things........they all do. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

C'mon, JG said the same things........they all do. 

So factors like teammates, coach and city mean nothing? It’s all about who pays the most in your mind right? 

At the end of the day, if a player takes 1-2M less per in order to be happier, it’s not so far fetched and has been done many times before.

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

So factors like teammates, coach and city mean nothing? It’s all about who pays the most in your mind right? 

At the end of the day, if a player takes 1-2M less per in order to be happier, it’s not so far fetched and has been done many times before.

they don't mean as much, combined, as tens of millions of dollars, no.  Do you think Vancouver is the only team with good teammates, good coaching staff and a good city?  I'd bet he'd list off half the league that meets his requirements in those areas.  I'm sure he'd stay in Van if they shell out huge dollars over max term

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1