The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Just now, Shayster007 said:

To be fair, this is also the timeline the president of hockey ops alludes to. 

but he never gave specifics. Did he mean a youth movement? maybe. But then we hear he loves Miller and wants to keep him,.

I get what the trade Miller folks see, I do. But I think part of the problem is they are designing a team from a blank slate. But reality is we have a difficult to solve issue where there are not ideal choices to be made. 

I just see it as a better move to make a push now while we have Demko, et al, vs. trying to step back for 2 years and then still have to go out and get expensive UFAs.

Teams can only design things correctly if you blow it up. We're fixing on the fly. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

but he never gave specifics. Did he mean a youth movement? maybe. But then we hear he loves Miller and wants to keep him,.

I get what the trade Miller folks see, I do. But I think part of the problem is they are designing a team from a blank slate. But reality is we have a difficult to solve issue where there are not ideal choices to be made. 

I just see it as a better move to make a push now while we have Demko, et al, vs. trying to step back for 2 years and then still have to go out and get expensive UFAs.

Teams can only design things correctly if you blow it up. We're fixing on the fly. 

What I heard was "we love JT, but only want him back if he's taking a team friendly deal"

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

There is no expected value in the 'blow it all up' argument (% x % x $ = a very low value) as there is almost always value in retaining some assets.

This is the team we have.  To me, it seems some posters tend to forget the implications of this fact.

You do not build by tearing down; you build by helping people up.

New management has me stoked for how we are going to be moving forward.

There exists the possibility of an incredibly successful relationship between the fan(atic)s of the team and the entire team.

GO CANUCKS GO!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

There is no expected value in the 'blow it all up' argument (% x % x $ = a very low value) as there is almost always value in retaining some assets.

This is the team we have.  To me, it seems some posters tend to forget the implications of this fact.

You do not build by tearing down; you build by helping people up.

New management has me stoked for how we are going to be moving forward.

There exists the possibility of an incredibly successful relationship between the fan(atic)s of the team and the entire team.

GO CANUCKS GO!

I haven't seen a single poster (reputable poster) say tear it down

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I haven't seen a single poster (reputable poster) say tear it down

They (pro-Miller camp) are using the “What if” scenario.  That because if Miller is no longer a Canuck, the team is not in the playoffs for a few years.  And by extension, EP40 and others want to leave (to play for contenders).  Then might as well blow it all up, tear it down, and start anew.

Edited by BPA
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, BPA said:

They (pro-Miller camp) are using the “What if” scenario.  That because if Miller is no longer a Canuck, the team is not in the playoffs for a few years.  And by extension, EP40 and others want to leave (to play for contenders).  Then might as well blow it all up, tear it down, and start anew.

Michael Richards Yes GIF

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, JM_ said:

You're way to focused on this "step back" narrative you've spun yourself.

I would fully expect management to continue to push building and improving the team and keeping it competitive after a Miller trade. Management's own comments have basically stated as much.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, BPA said:

Well now, that sounds like a conspiracy theory.  These Canuck fans are becoming very covert! 

• Haha 1

In light of the info from the Miller camp, unless a team calls and is willing to pay what nucks management wants (highly unlikely).  Allvin and co will probably risk going through the season, hoping JT doesn't get hurt seriously, and trade him as a rental at the deadline for whatever they can get.  Even if they're in a playoff position, they'll trade him.  

... This isn't a great scenario no matter how you stack it.  But probably the most realistic.

Is anyone okay with him just riding out this contract and seeing how far we can go with him until end of season?

As it stands (compared to the alternatives of getting very little for him in a trade before season or at deadline when we're probably in a playoff spot.)... I'd be okay with it.  I look at it like he's a rental this year.  Am I wrong?

7 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

In light of the info from the Miller camp, unless a team calls and is willing to pay what nucks management wants (highly unlikely).  Allvin and co will probably risk going through the season, hoping JT doesn't get hurt seriously, and trade him as a rental at the deadline for whatever they can get.  Even if they're in a playoff position, they'll trade him.  

... This isn't a great scenario no matter how you stack it.  But probably the most realistic.

Is anyone okay with him just riding out this contract and seeing how far we can go with him until end of season?

As it stands (compared to the alternatives of getting very little for him in a trade before season or at deadline when we're probably in a playoff spot.)... I'd be okay with it.  I look at it like he's a rental this year.  Am I wrong?

Yes there are a few posters that have stated they are OK with that, even if Miller doesn’t re-sign with the Canucks.  Basically walking away as a UFA.

Citing “valuable playoff experience” is needed for the core.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I'm ok with it too.  He's getting paid to do his job and will get a huge raise regardless next yr but nux can't overpay him too much or it will cripple the team. But without JT, I don't think they can make the playoffs this season. It's an important goal to accomplish. You need to build playoff experience and too many of them don't have any or very few (eg Demko played only 3 games).  Whether JT gets moved at the deadline or later, or even signs long term, we'll be determined next yr. I'm expecting him to be playing for nux from opening night until the trade deadline at the minimum. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yes there are a few posters that have stated they are OK with that, even if Miller doesn’t re-sign with the Canucks.  Basically walking away as a UFA.

Are you okay if that ends up happening?

25 minutes ago, BPA said:

I’m another poster that is fine with it either way and not because of playoff experience. I said before that Little Johnny Hockey walked at the end of his contract and Treliving turned that into Kadri and almost $3M in cap space. It might not be ideal but we can still make it work.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, BPA said:

That's rock bottom for me. There would be nothing more embarrassing.

• Cheers 3