The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

8 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

Step 1: Trade your best defenseman, who is just 22 years old and had a breakout season showing future #1 potential for one year of JT Miller.

Step 2: Replace Dobson with a soon to be 30 year old who is trending towards a #4-5 defenceman that you will have to over pay.

Step 3: Watch JT Miller decide he wants to walk away and test free agency. 

Step 4: Move forward with just John Klingberg and no Noah Dobson or JT Miller

Step 5: Get fired

OR

Step 1: Re-sign your best defenseman

Step 2: Sign Kadri instread of giving up assets for Miller. 

Sounds like an easy decision to me. 

Or

Fire Barry Trotz

Watch Dobson walk because he doesn’t want to play for a guy who won’t let him have facial hair.

Fail to sign Kadri because of his dithering.

Get fired :towel:

1 minute ago, PistolPete13 said:

Or

Fire Barry Trotz

Watch Dobson walk because he doesn’t want to play for a guy who won’t let him have facial hair.

It's the players that wanted Trotz fired per media in NYI.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JM_ said:

none of his shtick has produced anything while with TO or NYI. Just makes him flaky to deal with imo. 

perceived results or not, I want leadership that thinks about things from all possible angles. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

perceived results or not, I want leadership that thinks about things from all possible angles. 

sure, but how do you know that this group doesn't do that? Lou is a little side-show all to himself. Lou hasn't done much in the hard salary cap era, not sure I'd be looking to him for what we want in a modern management style. Just my 2 cents. 

12 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Or

Fire Barry Trotz

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think the goal is to try to bring Millers agent down off the idea of a massive contract. All of the big contract extension expectations are part of whats lowering his trade value, this isn't news to any GM.

Same problem with Klingberg, big expectations with little interest. 

Man if Miller swaps agents that should spawn at least another 500 pages on its own. 

Or maybe he's trying to shut down the constant speculation and negative press letting all fans know to relax he will be traded eventually. I don't know if I speak for the majority but I've felt a shift amongst those like myself who are looking for change in the organization. I've gone from mildly engaged to vividly enthralled to now feeling ripped off and somewhat bored with the whole situation after watching other teams make big moves while we stand still weeks after free agency.

I mean I'm a sucker and I'll watch no matter what but I wouldn't blame a more casual fan for completely tuning out at this point either. Maybe JR underestimated just how long a Canadian fanbase can be fixated on summer hockey news.

• Upvote 1

Just don’t see our cap situation (thx no foresight  Benning) making miller signing  a possibility.
could be millers last contract I don’t see him taking that much less To resign.

especially knowing full well what he’s get as a UFA next summer.

I really hope we don’t go into the season with this the main nightly  story line for all the simpleton  Vancouver vulture media. 

Asking  miller after every game the stupidest question in sports “are all the trade rumours distracting” 

then fabricating stories and trade rumours (drance) to stay relevant. 

Last year it was hughes and EP i hope this year we don’t have those kind of distractions and easy money for the crap media. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Or maybe he's trying to shut down the constant speculation and negative press letting all fans know to relax he will be traded eventually. I don't know if I speak for the majority but I've felt a shift amongst those like myself who are looking for change in the organization. I've gone from mildly engaged to vividly enthralled to now feeling ripped off and somewhat bored with the whole situation after watching other teams make big moves while we stand still weeks after free agency.

I mean I'm a sucker and I'll watch no matter what but I wouldn't blame a more casual fan for completely tuning out at this point either. Maybe JR underestimated just how long a Canadian fanbase can be fixated on summer hockey news.

I guess I don't understand why you built up that whole drama for yourself tho? JR has always said he'd like to try to find a way to keep Miller, so why would you expect big changes from a Miller deal? It was never going to be easy to fix Bennings roster mistakes, and do it without burning more picks. 

I agree it does sound like there's little movement on salary expectations and it does look more like this will end up in a TDL trade. The trade return expectations for Miller last season were ridiculous, I guess if people really were hyped for some mega, franchise altering return they would be very disappointed right now. 

Millers camp has to come down to earth a bit no matter what tho,  if he wants to get moved to a team he likes or stays here it seems like the numbers are just too high. Thats one of the reasons I think Millers camp hasn't been allowed to talk extension with other teams, if its unrealistic it kills a trade anyway. 

• Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I guess I don't understand why you built up that whole drama for yourself tho? JR has always said he'd like to try to find a way to keep Miller, so why would you expect big changes from a Miller deal? It was never going to be easy to fix Bennings roster mistakes, and do it without burning more picks. 

I agree it does sound like there's little movement on salary expectations and it does look more like this will end up in a TDL trade. The trade return expectations for Miller last season were ridiculous, I guess if people really were hyped for some mega, franchise altering return they would be very disappointed right now. 

Millers camp has to come down to earth a bit no matter what tho,  if he wants to get moved to a team he likes or stays here it seems like the numbers are just too high. Thats one of the reasons I think Millers camp hasn't been allowed to talk extension with other teams, if its unrealistic it kills a trade anyway. 

Thing is, I bet those contract demands would come down to teams on the east coast, nearer his home, with lower taxes, and closer to contending. 

• Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, JM_ said:

sure, but how do you know that this group doesn't do that? Lou is a little side-show all to himself. Lou hasn't done much in the hard salary cap era, not sure I'd be looking to him for what we want in a modern management style. Just my 2 cents. 

I made no implication one way or another about canucks management or whether or not lamoriello is a fit with the canucks.

22 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I guess mainly for myself it was based off what management said over and over again when hired. This is not a great team, not a horrible team but major changes are needed (which I totally agreed with), and big decisions will be made that may be tough on fans. They definitely left me with the impression something (anything) would have happened by now. I think JR has even confirmed he didn't think it would take this long to sort some things out.

I always felt a JT re-signing was not going to happen, even days after we traded for him I knew his next contract would be a stretch at his age and our timeline ... and I was fine with that. I didn't need an earth shattering return on him (although hoped for something decent for sure) just a sign that we're finally making calculated decisions. Still in purgatory here lol.

As far as Miller yeah he picked the worst time to be looking for a huge payday contract both for himself and for our Canucks.

• Cheers 3

52 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

. I've gone from mildly engaged to vividly enthralled to now feeling ripped off and somewhat bored with the whole situation after watching other teams make big moves while we stand still weeks after free agency.

added Mikheyev, Kuzmenko and Lazar. 

• Thanks 1

It's extremely difficult to make big moves. Just look at OEL and Myers and their big contracts. How do you get rid of their contracts ? How do you trade a player like OEL with this contract given the fact that most teams lack cap space. Once the Arizona/VAN deal was announced on draft day including OEL + Garland / VAN's 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, Roussel, Loui Player Name and Beagle I wrote that this was the worst trade in Canucks history.

1 year later the new management is trying to trade OEL and Garland.

7 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

It's extremely difficult to make big moves. Just look at OEL and Myers and their big contracts. How do you get rid of their contracts ? How do you trade a player like OEL with this contract given the fact that most teams lack cap space. Once the Arizona/VAN deal was announced on draft day including OEL + Garland / VAN's 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, Roussel, Loui Player Name and Beagle I wrote that this was the worst trade in Canucks history.

It can’t be that tough.
Calgary and Florida did what we have been trying to do in a week.  
Trade a 100 point guy and have a new contract signed as soon as the trade papers go through. 

21 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I think the Cam Neely takes the cake no? You sound very dramatic with a hint of recency bias. 
OEL and Garland both had a great year, let's stop being so negative; new management wanting to trade them is purely speculation. Surely management saw both of them have great years and think they can hold on to that, seeing as how OEL was one of the better 2 way dmen in the entire league last year, being the backbone of the best 5on5 defence in the league. Garland and his near 50 point season (with limited PP time) was also great. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I guess mainly for myself it was based off what management said over and over again when hired. This is not a great team, not a horrible team but major changes are needed (which I totally agreed with), and big decisions will be made that may be tough on fans. They definitely left me with the impression something (anything) would have happened by now. I think JR has even confirmed he didn't think it would take this long to sort some things out.

I always felt a JT re-signing was not going to happen, even days after we traded for him I knew his next contract would be a stretch at his age and our timeline ... and I was fine with that. I didn't need an earth shattering return on him (although hoped for something decent for sure) just a sign that we're finally making calculated decisions. Still in purgatory here lol.

As far as Miller yeah he picked the worst time to be looking for a huge payday contract both for himself and for our Canucks.

I guess to me it just speaks to how hard it is to move cap. Would you have been happy to see us burn 2nd or 3rd round picks to be able to make some more moves?

37 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

The more i think about it and hearing JR's comments, my feeling is they are trying real hard to get Miller signed to what makes sense for them and that is the reason they won't let others talk extension with JT (until they exhaust that option)

If they can't work out a deal, I think between now and the end of Aug they will ask JT which teams would you be interested in extending a contract with, and then let him  see if the offer is better than the Canucks and the Canucks will see if the offer to them for trading JT is good value, I do not think this becomes a distraction for the season and is resolved (one way or the other) before the season starts 

There may be less teams, but I think they really want JT and have had discussions with teams knowing each others time line to make a deal, yes, it may bite them if a team they are close to trading with  in case Canucks can't sign him) grabs someone else outside of that timeline that was given

They keep pumping JT’s tires taking about how good he’s been and how important he is.  Saying the first choice would be to re-sign him.  Couple that with a soft trade market.  

Makes a lot of sense that the focus right now is bringing him back. I think they’ve just set a “can’t say no” price out there and are currently trying to get a deal done.

I also think the whole thing is on the back burner right now - because sure hasn’t been a lot of chatter about it from legitimate sources.  (I know everyone else - me included - won’t shut up about it.)

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

wah wah wah. entitled much? billy at school got a nintendo under the christmas tree and I only got a sweater!

• Vintage 1