The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

He has none. No pick or returned prospect in this market will get anything near a Miller level. There are only about 10-15 players better than Miller in the NHL and don’t count on one of those guys coming back here either.

Trade Miller for Picks and cap space.  No contracts coming back.  

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I'd rather than than spin our wheels in mediocrity. Who's coming up as the next wave? Pettersson will be 24 in November. Young guns won't stay young, Horvat and Boeser are inching towards 30 themselves.

We've precious little on the way as it stands. 

yep, the cupboard is pretty bare. Thats my reasoning for going for it for the next 3-4 years while we build up that next group. One Miller deal isn't going to be that big an impact imo, we need to develop 10-12 NHL ready players over the next 4 years. Its a much bigger job than just the Miller or not piece.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

yep, the cupboard is pretty bare. Thats my reasoning for going for it for the next 3-4 years while we build up that next group. One Miller deal isn't going to be that big an impact imo, we need to develop 10-12 NHL ready players over the next 4 years. Its a much bigger job than just the Miller or not piece.

I thought this was the Mike Gillis thread for a moment.:P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

If you can't get  a roster player back you fire the GM.

or that was the reality of the market. Whats Rutherford supposed to do, put a horse head in Sakic's bed if he doesn't agree to give us Byram?

We have a talented player, how about we just keep him? We can move cap other ways like shedding easily replaceable guys like Dickie and Pearson. 

Just now, JM_ said:

or that was the reality of the market. Whats Rutherford supposed to do, put a horse head in Sakic's bed if he doesn't agree to give us Byram?

We have a talented player, how about we just keep him? We can move cap other ways like shedding easily replaceable guys like Dickie and Pearson. 

Sometimes the best move is to do nothing (in this case, if you're not offered much for Miller).

• Cheers 1

Just now, JM_ said:

At some point we need to do a serious tank for several years.  I don’t mind going all in for Demko’s four years and then tanking, or tanking now.  If JR and his group think we can win with our young core guys then go all in now.  If they think our young core guys aren’t good enough to win with then start trading them for picks.  Either we sign Miller and tank in four years, or we trade him for picks and tank now.  No more middle of the pack craperolla.  

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I disagree, if we're gonna go for it we can do it without Miller, I'd move out him and guys like Pearson and Myers in their final year for picks,  prospects, or young NHL'ers. If we're not drafting top 10 we may as well get more bullets in the draft chamber, acquire more prospects. 

Folks get so caught up with the current roster that they ignore the glaring need that is our prospect pool. If we're four years out isn't that all the more reason to have more prospects drafted and developing sooner than later? Who's gonna step in as our young stars age and get even larger contracts than they have now? Our shallow prospect pool ain't doing that as it stands. We have maybe two blue chippers between Klimovich and Lekkerimaki.

We ain't likely to draft players middle of the pack and have them step in like Pettersson, Hughes, and Boeser have done. They'll need development time.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And what gives you confidence, if we are in the playoff mix come the 2023 TDL, that our owner will allow a Miller Trade?  No step back, right?  

If the owner is going to veto trades (not that I believe that) he better be willing to shell out 60 mil to Miller and be there when they inevitably have to buy out the contract. Otherwise get out of JRs way!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Why are we so sure? He scored 99 points in a season where both Boeser and Pettersson were injured or mentally drained the entire time. 

a fresh Pettersson and Boeser next year could easily see Miller rack up 90-100 points.

add to the fact that we increased our forward depth, and the quality of wingers he has available to him got better… he has a solid 3 year window of his prime imo 

It’s possible but I think it’s unlikely based on his previous numbers.

A lot seemed to go right for him last season. Not sure he can duplicate the season he just had.

I hope we re-sign him and I’m wrong but just like Kadri I think he’s gonna get overpaid and not live up to the contract.

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Problem being, you "can't go for it" without those assets to spend, on guys to push you over.

We're nowhere near a team like Colorado and with little in the way of pieces to get us even close to that level. We get some of those pieces by moving Miller and growing organizational depth over the next couple years 

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

common sense? So I guess Horvat has Leaf's PJ's because of course he'd want to be closer to home too? none of us know anything about Millers preferences or family situation. Maybe he hates his in laws and wants to be as far as possible from them. 

I don't know man. The possibility that an American wants to do business in America and live in America instead of Canada seems like a distinct possibility. If that simply doesn't make sense to you then OK, no problem. (Head in sand reference though) And sure I think it's also logical Bo may want to play closer to home as well at some point, although Van has been his home since he's been an adult, and he has been treated very well and given large responsibility here. I don't think Bo has an option to go to Toronto anytime soon either.

It's also possible like you said he hates his in laws but I would think he likes his parents. Hid dad drove him to practice in Pittsburgh from ages 12 -16 and was by all accounts a dedicated hockey dad. I think family is heavily involved in JT's life. They are building a house in Pittsburgh. On some level this must make sense to you somewhere that he values family and might want to be near them.

Like you said though no one knows his true key motivations and maybe mountains and rain are his ultimate dream as is Canadian schooling, no guns, and our way of life. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is his hockey ties. I would guess growing up he had a lot of influential hockey people guiding his career, coaches, mentors, GM's, scouts, agents, players, friends, family, etc.. I would venture to guess that those types of people would have influence in JT's next decision, whomever they may be. JT may trust the vision of a certain GM, or simply resonate with the way their future is expressed to him.

I just got in and I'm catching up but holy the desperation by some is getting up there. 10 million a season over 8 years is alright for some now, I've heard give him whatever he wants by several posters, and now even draft picks are useless too. Jeepers ... that just sucks. I like having good young players in the system and a future to look forward to. I guess some people couldn't care less.

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

Why would I plan to replace Miller with a free agent, when I can trade Miller for a player/s/prospects/picks to replace Miller?

I think New Jersey is still in play. Especially if Kadri goes to NYI. They don’t want Severson to walk for nothing either. A package of Severson and a prospect and a 1st round pick or maybe a guy like Michael McLeod would be a good deal and much better then letting Miller walk for nothing. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

If the owner is going to veto trades (not that I believe that) he better be willing to shell out 60 mil to Miller and be there when they inevitably have to buy out the contract. Otherwise get out of JRs way!

Why was Miller taken off the trade market (as reported by Elliot Friedman) two weeks before the 2022 TDL?  Was that JR’s doing, or was our owner involved?  Capacity was just getting to 100%.  We were in a playoff hunt and playing well.  Miller was leading the charge.  I can definitely see our owner talking to JR about keeping Miller down the stretch, and revisiting the situation after the season.  And it looks like, even though JR said his opinion of our team didn’t change during the Boudreau games from what he believed was a club that needed a lot of work, we had offers for JTM and could have started the changes JR said we needed.  It’s like the Boudreau Bump actually stalled us going forward with needed change.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think New Jersey is still in play. Especially if Kadri goes to NYI. They don’t want Severson to walk for nothing either. A package of Severson and a prospect and a 1st round pick or maybe a guy like Michael McLeod would be a good deal and much better then letting Miller walk for nothing. 

Isn’t McLeod one of the “group of 8” that assaulted that girl in London?  Stay off those guys. 

48 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

Miller to NJ confirmed.  :frantic:

In all seriousness, we're still waiting for the Kadri domino to fall.  Sounds like Nazem priced himself too high and is waiting for a team to step up (NYI?).  What do we really know so far?

- JR/PA would like to keep Miller for the right price but JR has stated they are far apart and we can assume by the Huberdeau deal that this is true.

- there have been offers but none that management has liked.

- JT's agent has come out and said he likes Vancouver and would like to stay.

- JR has stated that if they can't re-sign him then they want to trade him.  Next pressure point is at the trade deadline.

Reading between the lines, I think JR conveniently did not mention that training camp is another pressure point and only mentioned the trade deadline as to let other teams know "do you want to risk your season by waiting until the trade deadline to pony up?".

There's too much risk involved for the Canucks, JT and the team hoping to acquire him to all go into the season as is.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why was Miller taken off the trade market (as reported by Elliot Friedman) two weeks before the 2022 TDL?  Was that JR’s doing, or was our owner involved?  Capacity was just getting to 100%.  We were in a playoff hunt and playing well.  Miller was leading the charge.  I can definitely see our owner talking to JR about keeping Miller down the stretch, and revisiting the situation after the season.  And it looks like, even though JR said his opinion of our team didn’t change during the Boudreau games from what he believed was a club that needed a lot of work, we had offers for JTM and could have started the changes JR said we needed.  It’s like the Boudreau Bump actually stalled us going forward with needed change.  

I think at some point management shifted their plans based on wanting to re-sign Miller. 

They realized the offers weren’t coming close to what they needed to make it worth trading him and pulled him off the market out of respect to him. JR has spoken about trade rumours being hard on players and their families. And if they decided they wanted to try and re-sign him there was no need to damage that relationship.

Just now, DeNiro said:

I think at some point management shifted their plans based on wanting to re-sign Miller. 

They realized the offers weren’t coming close to what they needed to make it worth trading him and pulled him off the market out of respect to him. JR has spoken about trade rumours being hard on players and their families. And if they decided they wanted to try and re-sign him there was no need to damage that relationship.

Espn Party GIF by X Games enjoy the summer. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yeah I don't get the whole Aquilini can't tell JR what to do or else he never would have accepted this job narrative.  From all accounts that is exactly what happened at last year's deadline when Miller was taken off the market and JR came out and said we are going to give our boys a chance to make the playoffs.  Obviously that decision came from the owner because the best thing for the team was to trade Miller at that time as teams were calling.  Same thing will happen this year and this year we WILL make the playoffs with the current team we have.  

• Like 1