The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

21 minutes ago, gurn said:

Maybe to you, but I've never seen someone say wait for the perfect window, or even an almost perfect window. 

I've seen plenty of 'wait for a better window' but not 'perfect'.

fair enough. 

I see the F group ready. Demko is ready. We're 2 top 4 d away from ready, maybe 1 if Rathbone is top 4 quality. 

I really haven't seen a compelling argument why this ^ can't be true. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

The flipside is that some are suggesting other teams will pay him what he wants or not consider his age.

My concern in this regard is that every year there always seems to be some team that makes stupid decisions.  

I'm going to be hate watching the Sharks because of that Hertl contract lol.

Edited by Baratheon
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

It 'implies' waiting for a better chance- not a perfect chance. 

This whole conversation has been full of continually moving goalposts for some.

Miller will sign a team friendly deal, has become- pay him what he asks for- he's worth it.

Miller is a good leader, has become the team is doomed with out him.

Miller on a decent mid length deal has become- Miller won't age like most players, so sign him to a full 8 year deal.

Now someone is trying to say people want to wait for the 'perfect' opportunity.

but things have changed since the Miller saga began. Changing or modifying a position based on new info isn't "moving goalposts" its just looking at how the landscape has shifted. 

Remember when Miller was going to be a 4 piece haul?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

It 'implies' waiting for a better chance- not a perfect chance. 

This whole conversation has been full of continually moving goalposts for some.

Miller will sign a team friendly deal, has become- pay him what he asks for- he's worth it.

Miller is a good leader, has become the team is doomed with out him.

Miller on a decent mid length deal has become- Miller won't age like most players, so sign him to a full 8 year deal.

Now someone is trying to say people want to wait for the 'perfect' opportunity.

I have changed my opinion along the way.  

I would still really like to re-sign JT Miller even if it takes 8.5 mil across 6 years, but it's becoming more and more clear that JR and Allvin have settled in on their offer in the low 40s and aren't budging. After seeing the Huberdeau deal, it's really easy for JTs camp to make a case for a 60 million deal.  

The gulf seems too wide, so that's why I'd prefer to trade JT out in the off-season and go in with a clean slate.  

As far as the question that @JM_ asked earlier, I would be really disappointed if we don't get a premium asset back.  

2023 1st round pick that ends up being 30th overall doesn't feel like one.  

That's where I see problems when talking about a deal with a team like Boston for example... They don't have any grade A prospects, their 2023 1st rounder might end up being 26th or higher, and they don't have any young roster players that they don't need. 

36 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, "implied". Saying things like "we're not a playoff team/close" and:

sort of presents that way. Some of us feel the window is currently open and why not give it a go?

Who said we're not a playoff team? You guys just can't help yourselves :lol:

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I have changed my opinion along the way.  

I would still really like to re-sign JT Miller even if it takes 8.5 mil across 6 years, but it's becoming more and more clear that JR and Allvin have settled in on their offer in the low 40s and aren't budging. After seeing the Huberdeau deal, it's really easy for JTs camp to make a case for a 60 million deal.  

The gulf seems too wide, so that's why I'd prefer to trade JT out in the off-season and go in with a clean slate.  

As far as the question that @JM_ asked earlier, I would be really disappointed if we don't get a premium asset back.  

2023 1st round pick that ends up being 30th overall doesn't feel like one.  

That's where I see problems when talking about a deal with a team like Boston for example... They don't have any grade A prospects, their 2023 1st rounder might end up being 26th or higher, and they don't have any young roster players that they don't need. 

What is the last "rental" player of Miller's caliber, that went for JUST a late first?

Look what an older Giroux got just last year.

I don't know why you guys can't just argue actual reality :lol: 

No, Miller isn't going to net us Bedard, the Swedish bikini team, Jesus and  bring John Lennon back from the dead. But he's going to net us more than just a late first.

No Miller is not such a good player that the entire Canuck team would collapse without him.

No he's not simultaneously the above Canuck-Jesus, while also signing far below market value (or returning only a late first in trade, both equally silly).

Like goodness :picard:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 8/8/2022 at 7:04 AM, IBatch said:

Nothing wrong with having extra leadership on your team.   Being a Captain for sure is a huge honour at the NHL level, and it's no coincidence, that teams often pick a vet over an up and coming star.    The only C i disagreed with was picking Naslund over Jovo.   Hank was fine.   As far as Smyl goes i absolutely agree, try and find one guy in the entire league like that now.   They don't exist anymore.   

Have to change with the times.    Horvat was the best choice at the time, and he's grown into the role well enough.   Orr, considered one of the best leaders all-time by Sportsnet, who released a book awhile ago, never wore the C on the big bad Bruins.    He wasn't the only one either,  Howe was also way up on their ranking list, ahead of Lindsay actually (4th i believe), although he was also way up there.    Recall the start of last year and all the new faces.   And the way they talked about how much leadership was in our dressing room.  

Your setting yourself up for disappointment if your still waiting for a Smyl type.   Linden ... well let's just say, I for one am happy to have Horvat.   And hope we get to see if he can keep up what he managed both as a green player against CAL (he was very good for us) and of course in the bubble ... nobody could handle St. Louis O'Reilly line but Horvat, certainly wasn't Miller or EP.   That line was dangerous every single shift and guess who was sent over the boards to mitigate it, and guess who did his best Linden impression. 

No,.   We have our “Smyl@ type of leader in Miller,.  It’s there,.  Maximize that leadership from him , a C needs to be placed on his sweater.  

the disappointment will be if we lose Miller via trade or otherwise..   

What we had in our grasp will be replaced with nothing like him, or that potential.

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

No,.   We have our “Smyl@ type of leader in Miller,.  It’s there,.  Maximize that leadership from him , a C needs to be placed on his sweater.  

the disappointment will be if we lose Miller via trade or otherwise..   

What we had in our grasp will be replaced with nothing like him, or that potential.

If Bo will return the same value as Miller (and I think Bo actually has more value) should we trade Bo, and extend Miller - making him captain?  

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Offer a fish his favorite bait and wait?

Teams do phone on players, so if the offer was really good for Bo would JR/Allvin still say no?

what if the Sabres offered up their 2023 first (top five protected) and Middlestadt for Bo?  

42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What is the last "rental" player of Miller's caliber, that went for JUST a late first?

Look what an older Giroux got just last year.

I don't know why you guys can't just argue actual reality :lol: 

No, Miller isn't going to net us Bedard, the Swedish bikini team, Jesus and  bring John Lennon back from the dead. But he's going to net us more than just a late first.

No Miller is not such a good player that the entire Canuck team would collapse without him.

No he's not simultaneously the above Canuck-Jesus, while also signing far below market value (or returning only a late first in trade, both equally silly).

Like goodness :picard:

I guess I should've been more clear, I am more concerned about the deal including one premium piece rather then a mish mash of mediocre picks and grade B prospects.  

I know that premium players get 2 or 3 pieces coming back. 

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

maybe Miller decides to stay if the team looks like it has real potential after a good playoff run too.

One of the main problems with this whole Miller discussion is the initial idea of a return for him was massively overblown. Trading Miller was franchise saving. 

But of course its not, and now its reduced to "anything is better than nothing". 

I sure would like to see Podkolzin learn how to raise his game in the playoffs. Petey, Brock and Hughes need more of it too. 

I'm sure some of the fanbase would lose its mind if Miller left as a UFA, but pretending thats everyone is a bit much. 

Last season in the KHL - 11 points in 35 regular season games, then 11 points in 16 playoff games

I don't think he has much to learn .....

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2018-19 St. Petersburg SKA KHL 3 0 0 0 0 -1 -- -- -- -- --
2019-20 St. Petersburg SKA KHL 30 2 6 8 7 8 4 1 2 3 0
2020-21 St. Petersburg SKA KHL 35 5 6 11 15 6 16 6 5 11 6
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

I do think its an interesting exercise tho. What level of trade return would you (or anyone else) be OK walking away from, to have the kids get the benefit of playoff experience?

I'd walk away from a third but take a second. I don't think we're making the playoffs anyway. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

**** Hertl.

It's been about a decade & I am *STILL* ticked off at Edler's suspension:

And that suspension emasculated Edler - he was never the dominant physical player after that

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Teams do phone on players, so if the offer was really good for Bo would JR/Allvin still say no?

what if the Sabres offered up their 2023 first (top five protected) and Middlestadt for Bo?  

You never know, but it'd go against everything that's been reported regarding Bo and management. 

If you wanna go around in circles regarding this what if be my guest though.