The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

11 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Again....negotiations often are locked in like this until....they're not.

Context...if you listened to the entire interview you got a good sense that JT is excited about this team and where they're heading and would love to be here. There's a lot to consider for him (and his agent). Like the fact that, when asked about his current success, he accredited "opportunity" and the fact that he was given that chance here...wasn't/isn't always the case. It's not just cut and dry as you present it. This is all part of the dance that happens in negotiating and anyone jumping to conclusions on either side may be surprised in the end.

good thing we have lots of time. There's been a lot of fake urgency in the media (and on here) about the timing of a Miller trade. We've seen these "deadlines" come and go. 

Fact is, the guy is talking like someone that would like to stay. Will it happen? dunno, maybe not but its not because the guy wants out or wants to be in the US. I think that narrative can be put to bed now.

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Difference too big. Neither side should concede. Miller's earned his pay day. The Canucks aren't in position to give it to him. Ergo...

It's nice that we don't have to shift our position or reassemble our stance everytime news comes out of either camp.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

and you expect them to negotiate against themselves in the media?

C'mon JM, at some you have to admit if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

It's pretty clear Miller is expecting a massive payday, and he's earned it, and the Canucks are not in a position to give him that payday 

• Vintage 1

If he just wanted out, sure. But he knows this group's building something special and that he's assigned as a leader in that. Made reference to Demko being the best goaltender there is....Petey, Quinn....super high on Podz. Also talked about Bruce like he's really bought in. 

So sure, they're far apart but he's also giving many reasons why he'd want to stay and it all factors in. The offer he has here is stability on a team that allows him to shine. There's something in that and he's obviously not just "out of here" in respect to "wanting out" as some have presented. There's a lot to consider.

image.png

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Again....negotiations often are locked in like this until....they're not.

Context...if you listened to the entire interview you got a good sense that JT is excited about this team and where they're heading and would love to be here. There's a lot to consider for him (and his agent). Like the fact that, when asked about his current success, he accredited "opportunity" and the fact that he was given that chance here...wasn't/isn't always the case. It's not just cut and dry as you present it. This is all part of the dance that happens in negotiating and anyone jumping to conclusions on either side may be surprised in the end. 

To be fair, context of that interview (I listened to the whole thing despite thinking Scott is a tool) also shows JT is looking for a big payday. He clearly said it's a business and he had do what was right for him and his family. I didn't get the sense from that interview that he "would love to be here" at all.  It sounded like he liked being the guy, likes the direction, and is willing to stay for a huge payday. If he loved to be here he would be willing to take a haircut because he wants to stay so much, and allow this team to continue to grow with some extra cap. I'm all for the guy chasing money, he's earned it. But to me that interview sounded more like a guy who was going towards a big payday not settling for the love of an organization or city.

One thing that I also noted, was the lack of defending Petey when Scott shows his ignorance and started talking smack against him. Not that Petey needs to be defended, but I was legitimately surprised JT didn't step in and say something to try to set the record straight about Petey and is work ethic. JT had all the praise in the world for Pod, but really let Scott solidify his crappy opinion on Petey. Thought that was pretty weird.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

C'mon JM, at some you have to admit if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

I don't know what this is supposed to mean. Are you really trying to spin that he doesn't like it here? 

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's pretty clear Miller is expecting a massive payday, and he's earned it, and the Canucks are not in a position to give him that payday 

sure we are, if it comes with term. 

56 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Technically Miller confirmed in that interview that they're "not close" and he "respects their vision" AKA: probably getting traded.

Yeah, that’s true. THere’s nothing there, haven’t been a while. I wish this would just get resolved. Time to move on. 

10 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

To be fair, context of that interview (I listened to the whole thing despite thinking Scott is a tool) also shows JT is looking for a big payday. He clearly said it's a business and he had do what was right for him and his family. 

One thing that I also noted, was the lack of defending Petey when Scott shows his ignorance and started talking smack against him. Not that Petey needs to be defended, but I was legitimately surprised JT didn't step in and say something to try to set the record straight about Petey and is work ethic. JT had all the praise in the world for Pod, but really let Scott solidify his crappy opinion on Petey. Thought that was pretty weird.

I wished JT set him straight on Petey. He did say that Petey was the best player in the team when he was on and loved playing with him. John Scott sounded so trashy and so disrespectful that I think JT paused a bit in shock. I agree with Deb, JT clearly wants to stay here. It’s now a numbers game. Hopefully he stays. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't know what this is supposed to mean. Are you really trying to spin that he doesn't like it here? 

sure we are, if it comes with term. 

And what does massive payday mean? He's getting 5.25 million dollars per year for playing hockey.  So is getting 10 ml massive but 9 isnt?   Like you said    meet in the middle and call it a day.  If he wants to be here that's what will happen  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

To be fair, context of that interview (I listened to the whole thing despite thinking Scott is a tool) also shows JT is looking for a big payday. He clearly said it's a business and he had do what was right for him and his family. 

I wished JT set him straight on Petey. He did say that Petey was the best player in the team when he was on and loved playing with him. John Scott sounded so trashy and so disrespectful that I think JT paused a bit in shock. I agree with Deb, JT clearly wants to stay here. It’s now a numbers game. Hopefully he stays. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I'm honestly surprised JT didn't set him straight. Felt odd to me, peticularly for a guy who has historically always been a straight shooter and willing to speak his mind and speak out. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it...

Again, I think JT is ok with staying, not even wants to and and definitely not would love to. Even just off this interview. I think if the Canucks are willing to throw a ton of cash at him he would be more then willing to sign. I don't think he is going to waiver far in his negotiations though. Nothing at all he or his agent have said have indicated that. It's also clear that our management team has a number in mind that they feel is Adair for JT and can't break the bank for him.

I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to see JT stay a Canuck if he is willing to sign a reasonable contract. But those pushing a narrative that he loves the city and the team just don't make sense to me. He says the right things, but nothing so far has indicated he is willing to put the team before himself. Again, that's fine and I'm not expecting him to, it is what it is.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

If he just wanted out, sure. But he knows this group's building something special and that he's assigned as a leader in that. Made reference to Demko being the best goaltender there is....Petey, Quinn....super high on Podz. Also talked about Bruce like he's really bought in. 

So sure, they're far apart but he's also giving many reasons why he'd want to stay and it all factors in. The offer he has here is stability on a team that allows him to shine. There's something in that and he's obviously not just "out of here" in respect to "wanting out" as some have presented. There's a lot to consider.

image.png

And he'd be happy to do so.... If we pay him loads and loads of money that we shouldn't.

It's not about him "wanting out". It's that he's not signing at the discount we'd require, to stay here. 

Would he maybe sign for something closer to the discounted rate we'd require, on a contender, in a lower tax area, that's closer to his home....? Maybe. Though even then he probably gets a bit more than we should be offering. But he's not staying here for that amount.

Edited by aGENT

So I'm not convinced he'll stay....but I also know it's not all written off at this point. Money is the driving factor, but not everything and JT's own words reveal that. Look, he's an ultra competitive guy who wears his heart on his sleeve. He delved into being an emotional player (and how he wants to work on that) and you have to factor that in to his decisions too.

A BIG part of this is the role he's been put in here...the "opportunity" (his word) that was presented to him and really allowed him to flourish. He mentioned that he was getting 21 minutes per game, was used in every situation and spoke of "5 on 3 on both sides". They used him in a way that was advantageous to the team but also allowed him to really open up his game. "Opportunity with really good players playing beside you".

He may step into a bit of a lesser/different role depending on where he'd go. 

We've seen how JT reacts when he's unhappy....it's not a given that he'll enjoy the same success because chemistry matters.

We'll see....it is what it is. Yes, he's looking for a huge payday but if he plays under contract next year and doesn't have the same production, that impacts things and is something to consider. He WILL be 30 and other teams will factor that in...not just ours. As much as people slammed Benning for saddling us with those contracts, other teams are also well aware of how they can play out.

It's a wait and see and I'm fully prepared that he may go. But there's still nothing stating that as fact....he could also end up staying and those feeling like we'd trade him for a massive deal saw that window come and go as the offers weren't there. That plays into things to some degree...other teams perhaps CAN pay him the big bucks but...will they? He had an incredible year but....as some here state like it's inevitable....could decline and not give the value of a hefty contract down the road.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, gurn said:

"wants to' and 'willing to' are not the same thing.

If JT 'wants to stay" he'd sign for his current contract.

If the team 'wants' to keep him, they'd offer max term and max money.

It’s also negotiations. Both sides want the best deal they can get.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

"wants to' and 'willing to' are not the same thing.

If JT 'wants to stay" he'd sign for his current contract.

If the team 'wants' to keep him, they'd offer max term and max money.

It's the cat and mouse of negotiating...and could change as time goes on.

You inch there, you don't just throw it all out there. As time goes on, I think it plays more into the team's favour. 

25 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

To be fair, context of that interview (I listened to the whole thing despite thinking Scott is a tool) also shows JT is looking for a big payday. He clearly said it's a business and he had do what was right for him and his family. I didn't get the sense from that interview that he "would love to be here" at all.  It sounded like he liked being the guy, likes the direction, and is willing to stay for a huge payday. If he loved to be here he would be willing to take a haircut because he wants to stay so much, and allow this team to continue to grow with some extra cap. I'm all for the guy chasing money, he's earned it. But to me that interview sounded more like a guy who was going towards a big payday not settling for the love of an organization or city.

I understand the logic of signing players for big bucks when your team is a defending or contending CUP roster. That said I also think the big $ deals will drift down to younger players as well. Not only does it allow the signing team to capitalize on the player but it allows them some flexibility in moving the player if circumstances change. Obviously PA has not received an offer for JT that makes a deal worth taking. We don't know what is on the table for JT right now but rest assured there are offers on the table. At some point a team ups the offer or PA decides there isn't anything more to be had. Either way I don't see JT suiting up for the Canucks in October. The risk that he regrades back to his career mean or that he is injured simply makes the risk to high for the Canucks to risk. Resigning JT is a short term decision which again the Canucks cannot afford. Resigning JT leaves the revamping of the d-core unresolved and leaves the org depth as the solution. This doesn't mean that another player might be moved instead or that a depth player catches fire. My assumption is that Miller has to be moved because he won't resign for an affordable contract.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Would he maybe sign for something closer to the discounted rate we'd require, on a contender, in a lower tax area, that's closer to his home....? Maybe. Though even then he probably gets a bit more than we should be offering. But he's not staying here for that amount.

So you only consider one angle in this.

Would he play the same role? Have the same success with new line mates?

He found his greatest success on this team...that matters. As he spoke to, the way he was provided opportunities here...that could change elsewhere. 

"He's not staying" isn't something you can state...only he can.

• Like 1