The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I wonder if the Capitals could be a dark horse in this.

Something around Mantha, Lapierre, Alexeyev?

Fair and great value for both teams.

Mantha is injured so cant help Caps for these playoffs + some risk that he might not be the same player after returning from surgery. Give up 2 quality prospects.

Canucks give up Miller but get 2 quality prospects and a bit of a dice roll on Mantha for next year.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

So why is there talk that management is conflicted about Miller? 

My guess, 2 reasons:

1.  Aquillini has always expected playoffs, always - and keeping Miller is our best hope for that, nobody can deny that.

2.  They don't really know Miller's long-term intentions and that would make anyone nervous - Miller himself likely doesn't positively know what he want's to do at the end of his current contract at this time.

That's my best guess. 

*plus, a bonus comment - any notion that management is 'conflicted' could very easily be leaked misinformation to drive up the price of a Miller trade - JR is as cagey as they come, he's won it all and done it all at this level, he knows how to work the system. 

Edited by Fanuck

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

No thanks to all three.  Quantity ≠ quality. 

Lapierre is a great prospect. That’s not just getting quantity.

Alexeyev is a big young stud D man that can skate and play physical.

Mantha doesn’t help this season after shoulder surgery but he’s still only 27 and signed two more years after this at a reasonable cap. He’d help offset the loss of Miller up front.

Is Miller overvalued?  He's never scored 30 goals in his career. Or 29...or 28...

Is it possible that the team itself is bad, but Miller and Demko have given them a chance to win every night? Miller, on a contender is probably middle 6C, hardly their best player

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Mantha doesn’t help this season after shoulder surgery but he’s still only 27 and signed two more years after this at a reasonable cap. He’d help offset the loss of Miller up front.

If what people are saying is true, that this is a once in a decade opportunity to substantially change the course of this franchise in one move - this doesn't do it for me, not even close. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think the reason its such good value for both teams is Washington could really use the help during the playoff run, and we don't need mantha during that time. Hopefully he can recover during the offseason and we get him starting next year. 

Would be really happy if a trade like this can get made.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Would people prefer:

1. The Canucks keep Miller this year, make the playoffs and get knocked out in the 2nd round. They end up with the #20 pick in the 20220 Draft.  They end up trading him next year, at a lesser return (because he's in his final year of his contract, and a year older).

2. Trade Miller at the TDL at his maximum value to get the retool started, acquiring prospect and picks. The Canucks would end up with the #10 pick in  the 2022 Draft.

If 2nd round of the playoffs is guaranteed, then option 1. That means we knock off either Colorado or CGY/Vegas... I would love that. Would love it if it were Calgary that we knock off in the 1st round. The last time we did that was in 1994? 

Unless we go 13-4 in whatever number of games we have until the TDL, option 2 is the smarter of the two.

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If what people are saying is true, that this is a once in a decade opportunity to substantially change the course of this franchise in one move - this doesn't do it for me, not even close. 

We all value Miller but we’re not getting these fantasy returns of Lafreniere, Schneider, and a 1st round pick.

As fun as it is to propose it ain’t happening. Fans are setting themselves up for disappointment.

The likely offer would be Chytil, Lundqvist, and a 1st.

The Caps offer I proposed would be in line with that.

Would people prefer:

1. The Canucks keep Miller this year, make the playoffs and get knocked out in the 2nd round. They end up with the #20 pick in the 20220 Draft.  They end up trading him next year, at a lesser return (because he's in his final year of his contract, and a year older).

2. Trade Miller at the TDL at his maximum value to get the retool started, acquiring prospect and picks. The Canucks would end up with the #10 pick in  the 2022 Draft.

1 isn't even remotely possible.

9 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I think the reason its such good value for both teams is Washington could really use the help during the playoff run, and we don't need mantha during that time. Hopefully he can recover during the offseason and we get him starting next year. 

Would be really happy if a trade like this can get made.

Mantha would be a perfect winger for Bo IMO.

Dump guys like Pearson, Poolman, and Hamonic in the offseason and replace them with some better value contracts.

Then sign someone like Domi short term to play on Bo’s other wing.

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Domi Horvat Mantha 

Garland Lapierre Podkolzin 

Hughes Schenn

OEL Myers

Alexeyev Burroughs 

This team badly needs a young center in a return for Miller.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is Miller overvalued?  He's never scored 30 goals in his career. Or 29...or 28...

Is it possible that the team itself is bad, but Miller and Demko have given them a chance to win every night? Miller, on a contender is probably middle 6C, hardly their best player

This version of Miller is not a middle 6C. He was only a 3rd line C on historically stacked Lightning team, and he's way better now than he was then. 
Miller would command a lot in a trade--probably not Lafreniere, Schneider, and a 1st, but a lot. 

I would only trade him if it was an overpayment coming our way.

Would people prefer:

#2 unquestionably

Imagine holding, missing and picking 14th.  Then imagine being in the same position next TDL day but with a less valuable asset. 

This is what being the definition of mediocre get's you.  

This team has too many holes and zero prospect depth, the time to move him is now.  

12 minutes ago, Nave said:

This version of Miller is not a middle 6C. He was only a 3rd line C on historically stacked Lightning team, and he's way better now than he was then. 
Miller would command a lot in a trade--probably not Lafreniere, Schneider, and a 1st, but a lot. 

I would only trade him if it was an overpayment coming our way.

Unless it is return of which you just described, I would rather keep Miller. Hell, I rather not trade him at all. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I’m sure that Drury and his staff is thinking, they offer their initial offer as low as possible to see if Van management is dumb enough to bite (cause, well, Benning might have). I don’t think their initial offer is their final offer. Lots of time to negotiate too. JR talking to the media, he’s playing the media and the game the right way, unlike Benning. 

Oh for sure drury is playing hardball right now and that might change. I’m fairly confident Rutherford will be smarter than benning was when it comes to these types of negotiations.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Would people prefer:

Easily #2. 

Even if we miraculously make the playoffs I imagine we'd just be bounced in the first round. We'd likely play Calgary or Vegas and I just don't see this group beating either team in a seven game series. Calgary in particular, they absolutely smother teams defensively and we don't match up well against them, perhaps moreso now that they've added Toffoli. Eichel's a wildcard in Vegas, but we'll get to see what he brings pretty soon. 

Would people prefer:

I couldn't help myself Nucker, feeling quite pessimistic at the moment, I have to add:

Would people prefer:

1.  The Canucks keep Miller this year, miss the playoffs (odds are not in our favour people - accept it) and lose the lottery, yet again.  They end up getting a 'middling' first rounder and Miller ends up having a down year next season (or worse, he's injured) and is traded for a fraction of what he's worth now? 

2.  Trade Miller in the next few weeks and receive a first round pick (giving us two firsts this year), a young blue-chip defence prospect, a young roster forward, and the elusive 'cap flexibility' that JR has referred to often. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

We all value Miller but we’re not getting these fantasy returns of Lafreniere, Schneider, and a 1st round pick.

As fun as it is to propose it ain’t happening. Fans are setting themselves up for disappointment.

The likely offer would be Chytil, Lundqvist, and a 1st.

The Caps offer I proposed would be in line with that.

they're not getting Schneider, laffy and a 1st, that's for sure and I don't see the Rags moving Laffy at all. 

However, I don't think Schneids is untouchable and you could get him with a first and chytil.  I also don't think that Lundqvist is the poor consolation prize that most think he is.......he might not be the big physical dman people want, but he's going to be a good player and if he's involved, I think you might get kakko in that deal as well as a first, even if they have to throw in a Jet Woo to make it work.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I couldn't help myself Nucker, feeling quite pessimistic at the moment, I have to add:

Would people prefer:

1.  The Canucks keep Miller this year, miss the playoffs (odds are not in our favour people - accept it) and lose the lottery, yet again.  They end up getting a 'middling' first rounder and Miller ends up having a down year next season (or worse, he's injured) and is traded for a fraction of what he's worth now? 

2.  Trade Miller in the next few weeks and receive a first round pick (giving us two firsts this year), a young blue-chip defence prospect, a young roster forward, and the elusive 'cap flexibility' that JR has referred to often. 

I think Miller is still going to have good value at next year's tdl, just not like he's got this year.  It could be that the ask is just too much to move him this year, but I think there's enough contenders with cap space and good prospects to make a franchise altering deal this season