The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

Who knows, this could happen. But I really doubt it unless the Canucks solve their D issues. We have something a lot of teams don't in Demko. Management really needs to push while he is on such a bargain contract. 

Yeah. I can’t see him signing another deal like the one he signed. He’s probably going to cost a lot more, but if he wants to remain a Canuck, and win here, then he’ll probably have to take some sort of discount. 

The problem often with teams is when all of their good high end players all want to be paid. There isn’t enough room under the cap to do that, as we’re seeing with the Canucks. If all of their high end players want to be paid well, then sorry, gotta break up the band, and move some of the players out, for cheaper pieces for depth. 

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I can’t see him signing another deal like the one he signed. He’s probably going to cost a lot more, but if he wants to remain a Canuck, and win here, then he’ll probably have to take some sort of discount. 

The problem often with teams is when all of their good high end players all want to be paid. There isn’t enough room under the cap to do that, as we’re seeing with the Canucks. If all of their high end players want to be paid well, then sorry, gotta break up the band, and move some of the players out, for cheaper pieces for depth. 

Two of our young core just held out for more money - still good contracts though.

All the good vibes established between the org and the Boeser family may end up resulting in a smoother negotiation but with many new management faces and inevitable change because of cap crunch, I just can’t see BB taking much of a discount on his contract. Sorry.

8 hours ago, stawns said:

Why do people think they play "soft"?  They play a pretty aggressive game, actually

Canucks get pushed around a lot, with very few of our players able and willing to push back. Outside of Schenn, Miller and maybe Myers. Burroughs has some grit to his game. Hits lots and is willing to stick up for himself and his teammates. 

Ovi, even though he is a star and stud player, throws his weight around and doesn't shy away from that side of the game.

I'm not saying everybody needs to drop the gloves or throw bone crushing hits but when someone takes liberties with a teammate, I want to see more team toughness and togetherness, sticking up for one another with meaning. Like last game when Motte got pushed around, Miller came to his defense in an engaged manner, whereas Bo, our C, was lackluster in his response. If we want to be tough as a team and have a culture where we sincerely stick up for one another, it starts with our C. He needs to lead by example.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Btw, I totally agree with you.  Unfortunately, it is really rare for professional athletes to do it.

Miller @ $7.5M

Boeser @ $6.25M

Bo @ $6.5M

and we would be able to build a helluva team with the cap savings. 

I just ran the #s, and unloading Poolman alone and having our core sign contracts like the above, we'd be able to keep everyone and add a $6M to $6.5M top 4 RHD onto the roster.  Can you imagine what that would do to the makeup of our team?

Dare to dream..

::D

33 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Two of our young core just held out for more money - still good contracts though.

All the good vibes established between the org and the Boeser family may end up resulting in a smoother negotiation but with many new management faces and inevitable change because of cap crunch, I just can’t see BB taking much of a discount on his contract. Sorry.

Technically Petey and Quinn didn't "hold out".  They were both free agents (restricted) and signed before the season started.  So not hold outs.  And Quinn is on a steal of a contract for us.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Technically Petey and Quinn didn't "hold out".  They were both free agents (restricted) and signed before the season started.  So not hold outs.  And Quinn is on a steal of a contract for us.  

If it goes into camp, it’s a hold out.

Not reporting to camp kind of defines that.

Maybe on melmac you can put mustard on a cat and call it something completely different. On Earth, it’s a cat covered in mustard. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

2022/23

?? - Miller (C) - ??

Hoglander - Pettersson - Podkolzin

I think by next season, Horvat, Boeser and Garland will be gone

Petey, Miller is a fantastic 1 - 2 center punch.  Bo as a 3 c is too expensive.  I could see him moved.  But then we are keeping Garland for sure, and likely Boeser (depending on if we can get him signed to decent cap.)

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

If it goes into camp, it’s a hold out.

Not reporting to camp kind of defines that.

Maybe on melmac you can put mustard on a cat and call it something completely different. On Earth, it’s a cat covered in mustard. 

Technically the players are paid for regular season games.  The "hold out" only begins if they miss those games.  And cats are better with ketchup.  

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Canucks get pushed around a lot, with very few of our players able and willing to push back. Outside of Schenn, Miller and maybe Myers. Burroughs has some grit to his game. Hits lots and is willing to stick up for himself and his teammates. 

Ovi, even though he is a star and stud player, throws his weight around and doesn't shy away from that side of the game.

I'm not saying everybody needs to drop the gloves or throw bone crushing hits but when someone takes liberties with a teammate, I want to see more team toughness and togetherness, sticking up for one another with meaning. Like last game when Motte got pushed around, Miller came to his defense in an engaged manner, whereas Bo, our C, was lackluster in his response. If we want to be tough as a team and have a culture where we sincerely stick up for one another, it starts with our C. He needs to lead by example.

That means nothing and, simply, isn't what the NHL is anymore.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Technically the players are paid for regular season games.  The "hold out" only begins if they miss those games.  And cats are better with ketchup.  

True. That said, if the reason they missed beginning of camp was injury/medical or family related then it wouldn’t be holding out. The team still retains their rights as RFA. The assets just chose not to show up because of dollars. Pretty cut and dry. They obviously accepted team friendly deals/term, but prior to that they held out for said contracts.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’ll take your word on that one.

you should try a marinade.

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

My cats likes to eat aliens.

e6956c3dff49ed2e08d46608efe34bab.jpg.2d6ef13fc70e81fae4ae472f07b9e498.jpg

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

2022/23

?? - Miller (C) - ??

Hoglander - Pettersson - Podkolzin

I think by next season, Horvat, Boeser and Garland will be gone

lol and you can count on miller being gone too at the end of the season if not traded.. he ain't sticking around for a rebuild.. that's a sorry ass top 6 regardless of who u stick on miller's line

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, so does Miller lol

The guy is good for at least one dumb pass a game. 

Miller giveth, Miller taketh away. As demonstrated last game. 

5 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

I wish Horvat played more like Miller. Then I would be more comfortable with a Miller trade. We need more forwards like Miller, not less. 

We also need a helluva lot more than guys who play like Miller on this roster, hence the trade proposals. You can have other guys on your roster who play with intensity, they don't have to be Miller.

Trade Miller, keep Garland. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, stawns said:

Personally, it's because he's going to cost a lot more than they can afford and over a long term when he'll be declining.  They need both the cap flexibility and significant return to fill the large gap in the lineup

I get that... But trading him now means we have given up on the season...  But I suppose we would have to if we don't get on another hot streak! 

6 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I get that... But trading him now means we have given up on the season...  But I suppose we would have to if we don't get on another hot streak! 

I mean, there is an 8 percent chance of making it to the playoffs. 

I think if the team goes on a losing streak of any kind the next 1-2 weeks, I think we're done. 

• Like 1