The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

47 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I just want to remind a lot of folks that JT has said MANY times that he wants to stay. The difference with our new management is that they will listen, unlike Benning did with TT (he had no choice with Tanev and Marky).

All this trade deadline talk is a waste of time. They know how valuable JT is to this organization. They’ve said it many times. Only a chimpanzee would trade him if he didn’t have to. He is the most valuable player on the team next to Demko & maybe Hughes.

Then why do you keep coming back? 

As for whatever Miller's said, that argument doesn't hold as much weight as you think it does because he's not going to come out and say the opposite. It's rare for players to do so, he's not going to say he'd rather move on as they chase a playoff spot. 

There's also a difference between riding out the season and extending long term. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Five points, and LA has two games in hand. They win tonight and they're back up to seven. 

Three if you're looking at Edmonton, but also two games in hand. 

Games in hand must be won to count.

I think LA is a good team this year but they have certain weaknesses and I doubt they maintain 100 point pace that they are currently on (98 points to be exact).

Edmonton has couple of tough games coming up against the Panthers and Hurricanes, which means they might lose their games in hand. We will see

And their remaining schedule is relatively difficult. 

I think we have a shot. I would like to see us address our weakness too, mainly the PK. If we can maintain 80-85% efficiency from here on out, I think we have a decent shot and as long as Petey continues his current level of play.

6 minutes ago, khay said:

Games in hand must be won to count.

I think LA is a good team this year but they have certain weaknesses and I doubt they maintain 100 point pace that they are currently on (98 points to be exact).

Edmonton has couple of tough games coming up against the Panthers and Hurricanes, which means they might lose their games in hand. We will see

And their remaining schedule is relatively difficult. 

I think we have a shot. I would like to see us address our weakness too, mainly the PK. If we can maintain 80-85% efficiency from here on out, I think we have a decent shot and as long as Petey continues his current level of play.

Perhaps, but it's also not quite that simple because the teams we're chasing also play each other a fair bit. I posted this Wednesday but it's still pretty intact. San Jose won yesterday, Dallas and Nashville both got at least a point. 

LA's actually got a much rosier schedule than the other teams we're chasing.

LA has three more games against the Ducks, one against the Stars, one against Vegas, one against Nashville, two against the Oilers, one against us, and two against the Flames

Calgary has two more games against the Oilers, two against the Kings, one against the Ducks, one against Vegas, two against the Predators, three against us, and one against the Stars, 

Vegas has one more game against Anaheim, three against us, one against the Stars, one against the Oilers, one against the Flames, one against the Predators, and one against LA

Anaheim has three games left against the Kings, three against the Stars, one against the Flames, one against the Oilers, two against the Predators, and one against Vegas

Edmonton has two games left against Calgary, one against us, two against the Stars, one against Vegas, one against Nashville, two against LA, and one against the Ducks

All these teams also play Winnipeg, who are about as in it as we are. San Jose is on par with us too but also chasing and they play all these teams as well.

It's not as simple as maintaining pace, which is all we've been doing. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, KKnight said:

I still think the deal I would take is: 

Nyr: Miller

Schenn

3rd or 4th round pick 

Van: Schneider 

Kravstov 

Cuylle

1st in 22  

Or 

Col: Miller 

Van: Newhook

Byram 

1st in 22 

3rd in 23

I feel these 2 trades are fair as far as market value. 

With the situation in Russia and Ukraine, Kravstov should have 0 or negative value at this time. 

Who knows how the situation will deteriorate. He might not be even able to leave Russia even if he wants to. 

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I am shocked at how cheaply some fans are prepared to move Miller for. If there is a deal it has to be in the area you are suggesting.

Hes a gamebreaking 1C on almost every team in the league, anyone willing to part with him for less than 4x 1st round equivalent assets is nuts.

I bet that's the Canucks' asking price and no team has bit yet because they were hoping Vancouver was going to fire sale everything. Vultures lmao. 

The offers will get bigger as the TDL gets closer and teams get more desperate to solidify their playoff lineup.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

With the situation in Russia and Ukraine, Kravstov should have 0 or negative value at this time. 

Who knows how the situation will deteriorate. He might not be even able to leave Russia even if he wants to. 

Agreed.  Kravtsov is worthless at this moment.  They can throw him in if they want, but he's probably the 4th piece in the deal.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Pettersson and Horvat are fine, almost no team can afford the luxury of three top six centre's down the middle. And with Horvat and Miller both due for raises it's not a realistic want either, not when the rest of the roster needs tinkering.

I like the ability to put Petey on the wing and also to have the depth if someone gets injured.

I know money is tight, hope we have the brass to sort it out and keep those 3 players.

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I like the ability to put Petey on the wing and also to have the depth if someone gets injured.

I know money is tight, hope we have the brass to sort it out and keep those 3 players.

Maybe, never say never, something's gonna have to give though and we're gonna find out soon. 

• Cheers 3

46 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Hes a gamebreaking 1C on almost every team in the league, anyone willing to part with him for less than 4x 1st round equivalent assets is nuts.

I bet that's the Canucks' asking price and no team has bit yet because they were hoping Vancouver was going to fire sale everything. Vultures lmao. 

The offers will get bigger as the TDL gets closer and teams get more desperate to solidify their playoff lineup.

I think you nailed it, but management's made it clear in the media that they won't just be giving players away, which is fantastic honestly. It's nice to have management that'll use the media to their advantage for once. 

The offers will def go up, it's gonna get interesting. All it'd likely take is one contender making a larger addition for the others to start moving. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I think you nailed it, but management's made it clear in the media that they won't just be giving players away, which is fantastic honestly. It's nice to have management that'll use the media to their advantage for once. 

The offers will def go up, it's gonna get interesting. All it'd likely take is one contender making a larger addition for the others to start moving. 

If we keep winning, its only going to make our position stronger as well. My refresh button will be getting a work out again this deadline, lol.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, rekker said:

If we keep winning, its only going to make our position stronger as well. My refresh button will be getting a work out again this deadline, lol.

33 minutes ago, granpappy said:

if we keep winning ... we'll make the post-season

Pace depending, all we've done is keep pace

If Edmonton knocks off Florida tomorrow it's back to square one

They likely won't, but if Seatlle can do it anyone can

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Unless we are getting Laf, Schneider and a 1st. Don’t care how unrealistic that deal is. Miller more points that MZ with same # of games and more points than Panarin. He would be leading their team in points right now.

Miller just making it harder to let go each game. Not everyday you get a guy who is top 10 in league points. I can see Miller being elite in his 30s.

Keep Miller. If anyone has to be moved it should be between Garland and BB.

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

31 minutes ago, granpappy said:

if we keep winning ... we'll make the post-season

and face the avalanche? i want the team to keep winning too coz it's definitely funner to watch the team compete and win than to lose but for the better future of this team if a team offers a sufficient offer for Miller we need to make that move regardless of whether or not we are in the playoff race. if we keep everything status quo.. or even if we move a boeser.. does that bring us any closer to the likes of colorado tampa florida or carolina? i would love to see the canucks make the playoff and have a legitimate chance against the top dogs and not just a warm up for the top teams for their next round of the playoff. sure team can get hot for the playoffs.. but realistically.. do you see this current team beating Colorado and then Vegas and then whomever left maybe st louis or calgary and then say a tampa carolina or florida back to back to back to back in a 7 game series?

let's not look at how many points we are back of team such and such.. let's just look at the point projection for the playoff.. it's currently at around 95 points.. we need to win more than 2/3 of our remaining games just to hit that mark. highly unrealistic..

i'm not saying to trade away Miller no matter what this season.. but if there's a trade that's close to what we are looking for gotta pull the trigger.. if there isn't then hold on to him and see how the summer unfolds.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

and face the avalanche? i want the team to keep winning too coz it's definitely funner to watch the team compete and win than to lose but for the better future of this team if a team offers a sufficient offer for Miller we need to make that move regardless of whether or not we are in the playoff race. if we keep everything status quo.. or even if we move a boeser.. does that bring us any closer to the likes of colorado tampa florida or carolina? i would love to see the canucks make the playoff and have a legitimate chance against the top dogs and not just a warm up for the top teams for their next round of the playoff. sure team can get hot for the playoffs.. but realistically.. do you see this current team beating Colorado and then Vegas and then whomever left maybe st louis or calgary and then say a tampa carolina or florida back to back to back to back in a 7 game series?

let's not look at how many points we are back of team such and such.. let's just look at the point projection for the playoff.. it's currently at around 95 points.. we need to win more than 2/3 of our remaining games just to hit that mark. highly unrealistic..

i'm not saying to trade away Miller no matter what this season.. but if there's a trade that's close to what we are looking for gotta pull the trigger.. if there isn't then hold on to him and see how the summer unfolds.

It is the truth, folks get wrapped up so deeply in the race to just make the playoffs that they forget that is just to get to the starting point. 

Unfortunately there are humans involved and if the team scrabbled back from bottom three in the league to actually within a couple points of the playoff bar by the deadline it is really tough to be a seller and not just destroy what has been built in the room.  Good luck signing guys to decent deals in the summer after that.

A deadline deal if we are still thinking playoffs could be something like Boeser and Poolman for Zacha, Severson, and a 2nd.  That probably even helps us in the short term by solidifying our D for a couple years and giving some time to get it sorted longer term with acquiring a high end D prospect in the summer.  Severson is a 23+ minute a night physical shut down guy.  Zacha seems built for the playoffs. 

I don’t mind the defence of:

Hughes-Severson

OEL-Myers

Schenn-Hamonic

Hunt-Burroughs 

I don’t think we will be that close to the playoffs though.  As well as we have been playing we haven’t really made up any ground.  We will likely stay 5-7 points out and at best leapfrog one team between us and a playoff berth.

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, but it's also not quite that simple because the teams we're chasing also play each other a fair bit. I posted this Wednesday but it's still pretty intact. San Jose won yesterday, Dallas and Nashville both got at least a point. 

LA's actually got a much rosier schedule than the other teams we're chasing.

LA has three more games against the Ducks, one against the Stars, one against Vegas, one against Nashville, two against the Oilers, one against us, and two against the Flames

Calgary has two more games against the Oilers, two against the Kings, one against the Ducks, one against Vegas, two against the Predators, three against us, and one against the Stars, 

Vegas has one more game against Anaheim, three against us, one against the Stars, one against the Oilers, one against the Flames, one against the Predators, and one against LA

Anaheim has three games left against the Kings, three against the Stars, one against the Flames, one against the Oilers, two against the Predators, and one against Vegas

Edmonton has two games left against Calgary, one against us, two against the Stars, one against Vegas, one against Nashville, two against LA, and one against the Ducks

All these teams also play Winnipeg, who are about as in it as we are. San Jose is on par with us too but also chasing and they play all these teams as well.

It's not as simple as maintaining pace, which is all we've been doing. 

I think we did better than simply maintaining pace.

We gained grounds on Anaheim by winning 4 of the last 5 and them losing quite a few games before routing us and winning their last game.

We sort of passed the Sharks who were tied with us. 

We also sort of passed the Jets; they will have to win both of their games in hands to pass us by 1 point.

We haven't gained grounds on the Oilers, Stars, and Kings as they have been winning at a similar rate as we have.

But the Oilers may lose their next two games against the Florida and Carolina, back-to-back games. In such a case, we end up having gained about 4 points as we were about 7 points back.

We play the Stars twice, a chance for us to gain grounds on them.

It's probably safe to assume that we are not catching Calgary or Vegas.

9 minutes ago, khay said:

I think we did better than simply maintaining pace.

We gained grounds on Anaheim by winning 4 of the last 5 and them losing quite a few games before routing us and winning their last game.

We sort of passed the Sharks who were tied with us. 

We also sort of passed the Jets; they will have to win both of their games in hands to pass us by 1 point.

We haven't gained grounds on the Oilers, Stars, and Kings as they have been winning at a similar rate as we have.

But the Oilers may lose their next two games against the Florida and Carolina, back-to-back games. In such a case, we end up having gained about 4 points as we were about 7 points back.

We play the Stars twice, a chance for us to gain grounds on them.

It's probably safe to assume that we are not catching Calgary or Vegas.

we have 14 games remaining against teams that's legit playoff contenders.. let's just assume we win half of those.. and lose the other half.. that means we can lose around 4 games against the rest of the other teams that we are competing with.. very unrealistic.