The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

15 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

Eichel was a huge unknown with injury, and the fact that he demanded to be traded. Not much leverage there. 

Miller is a top 20 player in the NHL who has a reasonable contract, who could be moved at the deadline when prices are higher. 

Are you saying Eichel’s return wasn’t significant?    

27 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

Eichel was a huge unknown with injury, and the fact that he demanded to be traded. Not much leverage there. 

Miller is a top 20 player in the NHL who has a reasonable contract, who could be moved at the deadline when prices are higher. 

He's currently ranked tied 35th in points per game (minimum 20 games played).

Why? I been hard on Miller but I still understand his value. He can do it all. He's mean, he's nasty, and he competes. Yes he pouts and can make some bad decisions passing the puck. But he's still super legit. Fiala is a scoring threat, sure. But you don't find it weird he's being rumored to be traded yet again? For a young guy it's worrying. If we wanna set ourselves back it better come with a top notch D prospect or a legit top 4 d-man now. Not a one way winger undersized winger. Talk to me when it's Dumba being offered.

Edited by N7Nucks

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Why? I been hard on Miller but I still understand his value. He can do it all. He's mean, he's nasty, and he competes. Yes he pouts and can make some bad decisions passing the puck. But he's still super legit. Fiala is a scoring threat, sure. But you don't find it weird he's being rumored to be traded yet again? For a young guy it's worrying. If we wanna set ourselves back it better come with a top notch D prospect. Not a one way winger undersized winger. Talk to me when it's Dumba being offered.

The Wild don't have the cap space to retain Fiala who will ask more than the 5M he is making this season. The buyouts for Parise/Suter increase by 8M next season to reach nearly 13M (and there are still 2 seasons after that at 15M).  They also have wingers in the system who they hope can replace him.  

36 minutes ago, mll said:

Seravalli says there's a lot of smoke.  Says ideally Rutherford wants to have a new GM in place but could still pull the trigger earlier if there's a deal he likes.  

I'd still like to keep Miller until next years TDL and then make a decision. We have the right coach now and have played good hockey. Let the new manager come in and go from there. However, we would probably get more for Miller if the team that traded for him got 2 kicks at the can. 

If we were to trade Miller now I'd be asking for a minimum of 1st rounder (late) a top prospect and one roster player (under 26) and or another prospect. 

If it were the Rangers I'd be looking at 1st rounder, Schneider and another prospect like Kravtsov.

This is technically 3 first round picks for Miller but you get two shot at the cup not one. We could also include Motte and like a 3rd/4th to complete the deal. Maybe the rangers would send back a smaller bad contract. 

I think Miller would be worth close to two firsts for just one kick at the can (1st rounder and top prospect)

I would question what kind of message that would send to the players to trade their best player when they’ve worked their butts off to try and get back in the playoff hunt.

I think if we’re in a playoff spot come trade deadline we hang onto him.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I would question what kind of message that would send to the players to trade their best player when they’ve worked their butts off to try and get back in the playoff hunt.

I think it says: "This is a business and if you want to win a cup, hard decisions have to be made... also, stop asking for so much money"

Canucks don't want to trade Miller, they're just going to be forced too for cap reasons, just depends if it happens this year or next; you get maximum value if you trade him this season as opposed to next year.

I'd only trade Miller this year if someone is overpaying. If you get offered a Lafreniere type deal, how can you not take that? Even if there is a small add on the Canucks side

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I like that. I believe the contract extension window will open for him this summer. Let JR see where Miller is at. You never know, maybe he loves it here and wants to see it through. He is the Alpha here and maybe that's what brings out the best in him. I like keeping him, and maybe field offers, and a take it or leave it attitude going into trade the deadline imho.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, -Moose said:

I think it says: "This is a business and if you want to win a cup, hard decisions have to be made... also, stop asking for so much money"

Canucks don't want to trade Miller, they're just going to be forced too for cap reasons, just depends if it happens this year or next; you get maximum value if you trade him this season as opposed to next year.

I'd only trade Miller this year if someone is overpaying. If you get offered a Lafreniere type deal, how can you not take that? Even if there is a small add on the Canucks side

Players wouldn’t accept that answer.

This is also a business of winning and they’re doing that.

My guess is they wait till the offseason unless they get an offer they can’t refuse.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I like that. I believe the contract extension window will open for him this summer. Let JR see where Miller is at. You never know, maybe he loves it here and wants to see it through. He is the Alpha here and maybe that's what brings out the best in him. I like keeping him, and maybe field offers, and a take it or leave it attitude going into trade the deadline imho.

I do think some of this depends on how any Boeser negotiations are going. We can't afford both Miller and Boeser and hope to upgrade overall. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

Boeser at his qualifying offer is a tough pill to swallow imo. 

not ideal for sure. He could be traded, but would't bring back the kind of return Miller will. I'm hoping for a long term deal in the mid-6's. 

33 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Boeser at his qualifying offer is a tough pill to swallow imo. 

It depends on what Boeser you're getting. The Boeser last year who led the team in goals and points (34 goals and 72 points extrapolated over a normal season) plus played a pretty good defense game is absolutely worth $7.5M in today's NHL.

This season he hasn't looked as good, but is starting to look better under Boudreau. I would say he is not worth $7.5M this season but that doesn't mean it's a gross overpayment. 

On the other hand, Miller is easily worth $8.5M+ on the open market. He could easily argue his closest comparable is Mark Stone who has a $9.5M cap hit. So is Miller worth $2M more than Boeser? Ultimately I think that's the deciding question. (Plus Miller is worth more in a trade)

9 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

It depends on what Boeser you're getting. The Boeser last year who led the team in goals and points (34 goals and 72 points extrapolated over a normal season) plus played a pretty good defense game is absolutely worth $7.5M in today's NHL.

This season he hasn't looked as good, but is starting to look better under Boudreau. I would say he is not worth $7.5M this season but that doesn't mean it's a gross overpayment. 

On the other hand, Miller is easily worth $8.5M+ on the open market. He could easily argue his closest comparable is Mark Stone who has a $9.5M cap hit. So is Miller worth $2M more than Boeser? Ultimately I think that's the deciding question. (Plus Miller is worth more in a trade)

Boeser is also only 24 years old. Miller will be in his early 30s by the time we're seriously contending

Miller is going to be the one to go and he's going to fetch us a great return

Miller is great right now but he took a while to get to this peak.  Because of his age I think he’s not ideally setup for our true window.  I have a sneaky suspicion that he can’t maintain this performance so sell high.  

Obviously a tough decision but if you can bring in two future core pieces on ELCs rather than pay 8.5M for Miller as he starts to decline, you do it.  It would be completely different if we were truly competing this year but we’re only trying to.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Miller is one of our best players if not our best but people need to think about what if he doesn’t want to re-sign here. If you sell him this deadline you’re going to get more than if you wait until next year. However next years return would still be good. Unless we’re in a playoff spot and you don’t sell your best player at the deadline and then we risk him walking for nothing. I’d definitely grind out the best offer and I might even retain salary for a team like Colorado to get Newhook+ back in a deal. Heck if you could get Newhook and Barron for Miller with salary retention+ and other piece! Not a lot of people are talking about Barron but I actually like him as much as the Schneider kid from NYR that everybody must have back in their trade proposals. Barron projects to be a bit better offensively than Schneider.

• Upvote 1

Either way with all the rumours out there it’s funny that we post and fill this Minnesota Wild Miller thread because there prospect pool is worse than the other 3 rumoured teams. For Center prospects all they have is Marco Rossi who they wouldn’t move and their best dman prospect is Lambos who is left handed and while a good prospect he’s not a blue chip guy. I’d rather Schneider from NYR or Barron fro Col over Lambos in terms of dman prospects. I hope a trade gets done and we cash out huge from Colorado. Miller wins the cup and comes back on a nice 5 year deal.

It’s been said by several posters on here that Miller was the player we needed (if we were a contender) but the previous management regime did not have the timeline of the teams contention. That said, Miller’s value has doubled since the trade and in the big picture we must trade him this year to max the return. 

Think about the eastern teams in a bidding war for Miller’s services for two shots over just one next season. Bold moves are needed for us to go from a bubble team to an actual contender and it starts with Miller. No guarantee he wants to resign here after his bargain deal expires. Heck I think the bad taste of him being traded here after Tampa winning back to back, he would be inclined for a trade.

Sure the team would not be pleased with  waving the white towel this season after the resurgence the team has had. The big picture is to win a cup, and with our cap space, right side on D and depth we must take a step back to take steps forward.

• Cheers 4