The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The return has to be an absolute kings ransom.

I dont think some still realise just how good he is, but more specifically the balance of skills he brings.

Rare breed. 

thats what turned me around on it. Plus the fact it guts our C depth. I haven't seen any of the trade ideas really deal with the gaping hole it leaves up the middle, its all focused on getting us our unicorn RHD.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats what turned me around on it. Plus the fact it guts our C depth. I haven't seen any of the trade ideas really deal with the gaping hole it leaves up the middle, its all focused on getting us our unicorn RHD.

Yes, exactly.

Having depth down the middle is massive to me. I also remember BB mentioning it when he got here.

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I'd rather plan to Win The Cup, than be a 'Realist' (their term for a Negative Nellie), or an internet GM wannabe who thinks they know more than anybody else.

"We're not good enough, trade our best players, we won't be able to afford them, fail for high draft picks, etc." is no way to build a winner, at least in my stupid opinion.

Reality is often disappointing, but that's how I'll continue to view the world. I can't get on board with realist being a synonym for negative, but you do you? If you view the world through a half glass full lens more power to you, but not subscribing to a similar view doesn't make one a "negative nellie", life is more nuanced than that. 

For example, I seem to be more optimistic about this team's chances without Miller than some of the folks who advocate for keeping him. Are you a "negative nellie" who thinks we'd fall to pieces without him despite having other pieces in Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Podz, Boeser, Garland, and OEL on the team? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The return has to be an absolute kings ransom.

I dont think some still realise just how good he is, but more specifically the balance of skills he brings.

Rare breed. 

Well put.

Balance being the key word for me.

His play affords others opportunities to excel at/accelerate their game.

JTM has become the glue that holds together the entire F corps.

All of this stated, he is also our rare opportunity to secure a very high 1st round pick/player or two who have made the jump to the NHL and playing on the regular who are expected to become the next gen future of any franchise. 

A new leader will eventually emerge if we trade him. Fans just have to appreciate that it will take a few more years for that to occur. Luckily for FA this is a rabid, loyal hockey market so the engagement risk is minimal, especially if bringing in young exciting prospect talent. 
Just look at how many fans, myself included, are already in love with Podz.

Either way, the future is getting brighter for this franchise. It’s about time, hah

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, shiznak said:

That’s not being realistic. That’s being hopeful.

Look at the current NHL forwards who are 36+ yrs old right now. Only Bergeron, Pavelski, and Getzlaf are scoring at a .6 per game rate, this season.

No, it's being realistic based on historical trends.

17 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yes, exactly.

Having depth down the middle is massive to me. I also remember BB mentioning it when he got here.

early in the season when Green had me depressed, I was all in on cashing in on Miller. But I don't agree with some that this team is very far off from contention. We do need to fill that 3C role with someone like Sutter in his prime, and need to shore up the right side d. But I don't think moving Miller is the only way to accomplish that. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

early in the season when Green had me depressed, I was all in on cashing in on Miller. But I don't agree with some that this team is very far off from contention. We do need to fill that 3C role with someone like Sutter in his prime, and need to shore up the right side d. But I don't think moving Miller is the only way to accomplish that. 

We have Miller, Horvat, Pettersson, and Lammikko at center now; where is the 3C gap? 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

we don't have a defensive RHC in that group. 

If you add a defensive minded playmaker RW to  Podz  Bo  ?   You suddenly have a devensively responsible 3rd line

that can score.

4th line is the shutdown line.

My thought on it is you trade out Boes for best available offer that suits need.

regardless of whatever that return is, you elevate Garland up the line and give him some time to gel.  My gut feeling is that the loss of Boes’ goal production can actually be replaced by committee with a guy like Garland in the top 6.

much like JTM, Garland can open space, will forecheck, is a highly underrated puckhander along the boards, is shifty and draws penalties, and is affordable with cost certainty.

his overall value to a club is that of a Brendan Gallagher lite. Plus he’s young and only really starting to enter what could be his prime.

problem is, because of who currently resides in our top 6, there is no room for him. With Boes gone, you audition him in the role prior to expecting to fill, and have it mesh, thru trade, imho. I think he could be a great fit with JTM, especially as they already have a great rapport off the ice.  

if anything it could also restore some confidence in Garland’s game, and if the intention is to trade him anyway in the offseason or beyond, it potentially could result in a boost in his value.

Again, none of this factors in what we get in return in trading Boes because that’s just an uncertainty at this point.

just my two cents.

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If you add a defensive minded playmaker RW to  Podz  Bo  ?   You suddenly have a devensively responsible 3rd line

that can score.

I like Devense.

25 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

that can score.

I just think we'll have a hard time 5 on 5 in the playoffs without a strong right handed C.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Reality is often disappointing, but that's how I'll continue to view the world. I can't get on board with realist being a synonym for negative, but you do you? If you view the world through a half glass full lens more power to you, but not subscribing to a similar view doesn't make one a "negative nellie", life is more nuanced than that. 

For example, I seem to be more optimistic about this team's chances without Miller than some of the folks who advocate for keeping him. Are you a "negative nellie" who thinks we'd fall to pieces without him despite having other pieces in Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Podz, Boeser, Garland, and OEL on the team? 

I think it hilarious that the same people calling me a rose coloured, optimistic homer the last few years (including being excited when we traded FOR Miller) are now declaring me a negative pessimist :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think it hilarious that the same people calling me a rose coloured, optimistic homer the last few years (including being excited when we traded FOR Miller) are now declaring me a negative pessimist :lol:

68jpin.jpg

Edited by Coconuts
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Me_ said:

3A12B5AB-96D9-46BA-A1B9-3AB1F26ABF5A.jpeg

1AEFB16B-78E5-4B3E-BA14-B7A07DDBABB1.jpeg

Safe to say the next Captain is Captain Miller.

No, it isn't, Bo will be here for years yet, and Miller will likely walk as a free agent, if he hasn't been traded before hand.

Edited by gurn
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You, Nuts and Stawns really know your hockey. 

I've been around long enough to know that.

It's an extra sprinkle on my interest in the Miller discussion that I am on the other side of the fence from you dudes.

Ultimately, none of us can see into the future or even know what Miller is thinking.

Time will tell I suppose. I know we will be all on the same page if the team wins a cup, with or without JT.

If we trade Miller for the chips that bring us the cup. I will be the first to acknowledge my misreading of this asset. 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

even if he's going toleave anyway?