The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Just now, JM_ said:

180 games is a pretty good look at a player even though 'vid, imo. I think we know what Miller is.

We're also basing our assumptions on trade returns over the same time period. 

Hey just pointing out the obvious.

remember the Cheechoo effect

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I would tend to agree with them. I don't see us as contenders either, the same as management has indicated. That makes a difference moving forward too. The run has been a nice surprise but I'm not ready to throw out the rest of their history or the glaring deficiencies either. I don't think we should blow it up and start over though. Same as management I think we have some superb building blocks and we should be re-tooling around them. We're not that far off. No point in blowing it up we already have a 23 yr old stud center, 22 yr old franchise dman, a 26 yr old elite goalie, and a couple of high end 20 yr old forwards. No sorry that would be silly to blow up.

It would be silly. But to me so is waiting 3 more years given we don't actually have a replacement for Demko in the system. I like the main group we have and think we can improve a lot shedding guys like Pearson, Dickie, Poolman and even Garland. 

37 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Demko's also a UFA 4 years from now. Who says he stays here? If we're talking "windows" it has to be around who we have control of.

I mean, I'd be surprised if he didn't considering we drafted him and all that 

But time will tell 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

It would be silly. But to me so is waiting 3 more years given we don't actually have a replacement for Demko in the system. I like the main group we have and think we can improve a lot shedding guys like Pearson, Dickie, Poolman and even Garland. 

It doesn't bother me in the slightest about Demko. That's five years away. Plenty of time to re-sign or replace. I don't really understand that concern at all. Should be the last thing on anyone's mind priority wise imo. I think if we go your route of trading lesser players no one wants we will run out of money and assets. It will cripple the rest of our roster even more than now while we fight for a playoff spot for 3 years before maybe missing 5 straight, all while watching the Kings, Ducks, and even the Sharks charge past us with their quality youth.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It doesn't bother me in the slightest about Demko. That's five years away. Plenty of time to re-sign or replace. I don't really understand that concern at all. Should be the last thing on anyone's mind priority wise imo. I think if we go your route of trading lesser players no one wants we will run out of money and assets. It will cripple the rest of our roster even more than now while we fight for a playoff spot for 3 years before maybe missing 5 straight, all while watching the Kings, Ducks, and even the Sharks charge past us with their quality youth.

Yup.  We have Petey, Quinn, Pods and Hogs.  And it looks like Bone is a player too.  We need more young guys to go with that group.  Bo is a good age, as are Bess and Garland.  Miller, as great as he is now, is too old for our young core.  So are Myers and OEL, but their contracts make them untradeable without huge cost to us in sweetener.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I keep seeing people say we're not contenders for 3 or more seasons... I just don't buy into that. But if that was true lets blow this thing up and start over. 

The Canucks are likely in the middle of the pack team.  Good enough to just make the playoffs but gets eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs.  They are not the “favourites or powerhouses” of the league.

Canucks are the type of team that gets in the playoffs and you HOPE luck and a hot steak/goalie.  Like Montreal last year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  We have Petey, Quinn, Pods and Hogs.  And it looks like Bone is a player too.  We need more young guys to go with that group.  Bo is a good age, as are Bess and Garland.  Miller, as great as he is now, is too old for our young core.  So are Myers and OEL, but their contracts make them untradeable without huge cost to us in sweetener.  

Yeah Imagine Petey, Hughes, Pods, Hogz, and Demko at their very height of their careers with a formidable d-core. That's the time to sacrifice the future, add high priced vets and just go for it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

Maybe. Maybe not. If we are that far away then why not trade Demko and go full rebuild?

So far none of the king's ransom deals for Miller have materialized either. 

6 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Because he's still young enough to be in his prime at the end of this contract when we'll be more likely contending and well into next contract as well. He just became a starter in the league. We'd also need a new goalie.

This.

Demko is 3 years younger, a goalie (who tend to play well, longer) and under contract for 4 more years..

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

You seem to be conflating "playoff team" with "contender" I think we could continue to be a bubble playoff team next year, and for the next few years. I think we're 2+ from being a contender though. IE: mentioned in the same breath as teams like the Canes, Panthers, Lightning, Avs currently are. AKA one of the best teams in the league, a perennial, deep, playoff team.

• Upvote 2

Just now, aGENT said:

This.

Demko is 3 years younger, a goalie (who tend to play well, longer) and under contract for 4 more years..

You seem to be conflating "playoff team" with "contender" I think we could continue to be a bubble playoff team next year, and for the next few years. I think we're 2+ from being a contender though. IE: mentioned in the same breath as teams like the Canes, Panthers, Lightning, Avs currently are. AKA one of the best teams in the league, a perennial, deep, playoff team.

I conflate many things. 

But sure I could be. I just have a lot of faith in Demko taking us the distance with 4 cracks at the playoffs.

I'm also not sure we're going to see Miller moved, so I'd prefer to keep him and build around him as part of the solution. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I conflate many things. 

But sure I could be. I just have a lot of faith in Demko taking us the distance with 4 cracks at the playoffs.

I'm also not sure we're going to see Miller moved, so I'd prefer to keep him and build around him as part of the solution. 

I don't think we likely see him moved this TDL (barring a Godfather offer) but I'm doubtful a deal that works for him, and the club, exists. If he's even interested in staying at all.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I don't think we likely see him moved this TDL (barring a Godfather offer) but I'm doubtful a deal that works for him, and the club, exists. If he's even interested in staying at all.

it'll be a whopper, thats for sure. 

We still have a week to go, so who the heck knows, maybe we're all exited about Schneider in a week :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

Just to be clear… are you comparing Miller to Cheechoo? 

I am suggesting everyone who really only has one or two breakout seasons be taken with a grain of salt.

For every Panarin there are a dozen Jason Blake's, Cheechoos etc

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah Imagine Petey, Hughes, Pods, Hogz, and Demko at their very height of their careers with a formidable d-core. That's the time to sacrifice the future, add high priced vets and just go for it.

I just don't see Hogs as a core player.  He's all flash and no dash, so to speak.  I could be wrong, but I see him traded

by the end of next season.  Pods is a keeper though.  He plays hockey the right way.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I just don't see Hogs as a core player.  He's all flash and no dash, so to speak.  I could be wrong, but I see him traded

by the end of next season.  Pods is a keeper though.  He plays hockey the right way.

Yeah very possible. He's on a slippery slope. If he does stay he's young enough to progress and at least be a solid contributor, or like you say traded for someone who hopefully will. I know what you're saying about too much flash and dash though.

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

3 more assists. Officially on pace for 100 points.

When's the last time a 100 point player was traded at the TDL?

Can’t remember but it’s not happening this TDL lol. Miller is too good and we’re pretty close to a playoff spot. Really can’t see anybody pay the price it would take. They’d pay less for Boeser or Garland. Side note we should also keep Garland.

• Upvote 2

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Can’t remember but it’s not happening this TDL lol. Miller is too good and we’re pretty close to a playoff spot. Really can’t see anybody pay the price it would take. They’d pay less for Boeser or Garland. Side note we should also keep Garland.

Might not be able to keep either Boeser or Garland cap-wise moving forward but we can for sure use them to solve problems in trades.

We have a bit of a cushion with a little forward depth with Hog/Pod and most of our credible prospects being forwards but sure could use another bluechip there. Future at D needs even more help.