The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

12 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

At this rate. i think everyone stays. If any players move, it’ll most likely be at the off-season. 

Yup.

You don’t give up the season if you’re still in the hunt.  Even though it might mean we let some UFA walk.

• Vintage 3

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

This.

Demko is 3 years younger, a goalie (who tend to play well, longer) and under contract for 4 more years..

You seem to be conflating "playoff team" with "contender" I think we could continue to be a bubble playoff team next year, and for the next few years. I think we're 2+ from being a contender though. IE: mentioned in the same breath as teams like the Canes, Panthers, Lightning, Avs currently are. AKA one of the best teams in the league, a perennial, deep, playoff team.

great use of the language.  well done !

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah very possible. He's on a slippery slope. If he does stay he's young enough to progress and at least be a solid contributor, or like you say traded for someone who hopefully will. I know what you're saying about too much flash and dash though.

All flash = he doesn't go into the corners and come away with the puck more oftan than not? Agree he could be a better finisher though.

He looked really good in preseason, but for whatever reason has taken a step back this year. Might just be the dreaded sophomore slump (which is a real thing). He did play way better last night though with Bo and Boeser, so part of it is probably that he's not really finding his game with less ice time in the bottom six.

Next season will be very telling for him, but I think his drive and talent will make him at least a middle six mainstay and his ceiling is much higher than that. Regardless he's not a player you trade while on an ELC, and unless he really explodes next season there's a good chance we can sign him at a cap level where he'll be a valuable contributor for years to come.

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, BPA said:

Yup.

You don’t give up the season if you’re still in the hunt.  Even though it might mean we let some UFA walk.

I still don’t think the team makes the playoffs. Who’s got games in hand in front of them? 

4 hours ago, J-P said:

All flash = he doesn't go into the corners and come away with the puck more oftan than not? Agree he could be a better finisher though.

He looked really good in preseason, but for whatever reason has taken a step back this year. Might just be the dreaded sophomore slump (which is a real thing). He did play way better last night though with Bo and Boeser, so part of it is probably that he's not really finding his game with less ice time in the bottom six.

Next season will be very telling for him, but I think his drive and talent will make him at least a middle six mainstay and his ceiling is much higher than that. Regardless he's not a player you trade while on an ELC, and unless he really explodes next season there's a good chance we can sign him at a cap level where he'll be a valuable contributor for years to come.

Who are we talking about here? Höglander? 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I still don’t think the team makes the playoffs. Who’s got games in hand in front of them? 

Based on?

You know momentum and confidence is HUGE in the stretch. A "hot" team can carry that forward and we're trending in that direction (more so than some other teams). sure, the odds are against us but you don't ignore what you see unfolding. You really have to see where that takes you.

So give us your reasons at least.

if you don't even KNOW who's in the mix and the details of that, how on earth are you projecting anything? Based on?

16 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

At this rate. i think everyone stays. If any players move, it’ll most likely be at the off-season. 

I don't think everyone, but I wouldn't surprised if we don't see a big move. If we move Miller, Boeser, ect I wouldn't be surprised to see it take place in the offseason now. I still don't think it's the right move but I reckon management holds on to their playoff chance. 

That being said, the price to retain Miller just went up with San Jose signing Hertl to the contract they did. 

All this being said, it depends on whether a team bites hard and decides to pay up or not. 

Edited by Coconuts

11 hours ago, J-P said:

Yip. Hoglander is one of my favorites and I think the upside to him is plenty and real. I would hate to see him traded. 

• Like 1