The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

29 minutes ago, mll said:

Friedman in his market buzz:  "With Malkin back to Pittsburgh, look for Vincent Trocheck in Manhattan. That appears to be his best fit."

&^@#. So, it seems like Gaudreau is headed to the Flyers, Trocheck to the Rangers, Malkin in Pitts. Where does that leave Miller? Any team still want him? LOL. 

Johnny Gaudreau’s situation, as I’m following and reading about it, seems a little too close to home with JT Miller. Could it be that management cannot find a trade partner, and get to the deadline, only for that to pass, and still not find a suitable partner, and then Miller just walks at the end of the season? We’re the Canucks. Of course that’s &^@#ing possible, and even likely. 

Tell me I’m wrong. 

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

&^@#. So, it seems like Gaudreau is headed to the Flyers, Trocheck to the Rangers, Malkin in Pitts. Where does that leave Miller? Any team still want him? LOL. 

Johnny Gaudreau’s situation, as I’m following and reading about it, seems a little too close to home with JT Miller. Could it be that management cannot find a trade partner, and get to the deadline, only for that to pass, and still not find a suitable partner, and then Miller just walks at the end of the season? We’re the Canucks. Of course that’s &^@#ing possible, and even likely. 

Tell me I’m wrong. 

I hear the Canucks value him highly and would love to have him long term with the club of the dollars make sense.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Tell me I’m wrong. 

I like it.

Miller stays and extends here with a reasonable contract. Canucks win.

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I like it.

Miller stays and extends here with a reasonable contract. Canucks win.

I mean, if the contract was going to be reasonable, you’d think he’d signed already. 

Unless Canucks management has low balled him. 

54 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I can see Miller and Gaudreau in Philly. 

Philly would have to move out JVR contract to create the necessary cap space for a signing of Gaudreau. Both players can't be signed by Philly given their current cap space. Johnny hockey most likely ends up in Jersey, though.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, if the contract was going to be reasonable, you’d think he’d signed already. 

Unless Canucks management has low balled him. 

contract extension can't be signed until today...I wonder if Florida fans are getting all bent out of shape about Huberdeau and his 1 year left on his deal...probably not as it isn't a hockey crazed market like Vancouver

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

contract extension can't be signed until today...I wonder if Florida fans are getting all bent out of shape about Huberdeau and his 1 year left on his deal...probably not as it isn't a hockey crazed market like Vancouver

I’d be less bent out of shape if we were good

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I don't really see the two situations as being similar. Totally different type players at divergent stages of their contract status. Gaudreau has been with the

same team whereas JT has only really had a monster size role here in Vancouver. That would factor into the thinking of teams that may or may not be asking

about him. Inre to an extension for JT in Vancouver, that wont happen yet. In a nutshell, best thing is not to make a hasty move that wont even come close to 

fair value for Miller and role he plays in Vancouver.

Miller does have a lot of value as a free agent for us as well that can't be ignored.   Other guys have taken team friendly deals to stay with their clubs ... worst case to me has always been a bad trade that sucks up our cap.   I'd rather just see him walk after a nice little playoff sample size for JR and co, get his cap space and use it wisely somewhere else.    Why i'm ok for futures only.    A roster player?   Seen it way too many times where that doesn't work out well.     That said a fair trade works in our favour too.   A good trade really works in our favour.   Risks involved ... any which way Allvin goes. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

The UFA list of centers next year is interesting, with guys like MacKinnon, Toews and Larkin's contracts up. I doubt Mac or Larkin go anywhere but we might get some interesting comparables to Miller there, although age is against his side.

To be honest regardless of what happens, I'd rather he play his guts out, get us to a good playoff run next year and then walk as a UFA than we trade him this off-season for NYR's scraps like Kravtsov and Lundqvist and we miss the playoffs again. Seems silly but the young core will grow so much more if they get used to winning the way they did at the end of last season. Letting him walk might not be the worst case scenario. Signing him to a stupid 7 year 9M NMC deal would be more hindering to this team.

The only way I would be satisfied with JT Miller walking away next summer as a UFA is if the Canucks won the Stanley Cup. That is almost a guarantee to NOT happen, thought many on here were sick of seeing assets walk as FA and the team NOT recoup any assets back. Now some have changed your tune on that?

Canucks won't have to give JT away, but I take my chances with a 2023 1st round and a player like Chytl and say Lunqvist/Kravstov package and roll the dice on them rather than get nothing back. Of course we prefer Schneider but OEL is here to stay, maybe he can mentor and help develop Lunqvists game? We do NOT have a puck moving RHD either.

Our core players have already played playoff hockey in the bubble, so we aren't a team like say Ottawa that would classify making the playoffs a win and the experience would help the team going forward...been there done that already in my opinion.

Still think Carolina should try and get JT, even if he is just a 1 year rental he will help that team a lot and maybe get over the playoff hump. I see Carolina going after Klingberg or maybe a cheaper RHD option like Subban short term to fill the empty RHD slot on the roster.

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Tell me I’m wrong. 

Miller controls where he extends and might be only a 1-year rental.

Josh Yohe, Penguins' beat writer for The Athletic says Miller lives 2 miles from their practice facility.  He's training there in the off-season.  He believes that there would be mutual interest, but he doesn't see how Pittsburgh could acquire him - he doesn't think they have the assets.

That was before Malkin re-signed. In a year he could sign with them - Zucker would be off the books which gives over 5M that could go towards an extension.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The UFA list of centers next year is interesting, with guys like MacKinnon, Toews and Larkin's contracts up. I doubt Mac or Larkin go anywhere but we might get some interesting comparables to Miller there, although age is against his side.

To be honest regardless of what happens, I'd rather he play his guts out, get us to a good playoff run next year and then walk as a UFA than we trade him this off-season for NYR's scraps like Kravtsov and Lundqvist and we miss the playoffs again. Seems silly but the young core will grow so much more if they get used to winning the way they did at the end of last season. Letting him walk might not be the worst case scenario. Signing him to a stupid 7 year 9M NMC deal would be more hindering to this team.

We missed the playoffs this year with Miller getting 99 points.  We can always trade him at the 2023 TDL as a playoff rental.  That’s the next point his value will be highest.  

19 minutes ago, mll said:

Miller controls where he extends and might be only a 1-year rental.

Josh Yohe, Penguins' beat writer for The Athletic says Miller lives 2 miles from their practice facility.  He's training there in the off-season.  He believes that there would be mutual interest, but he doesn't see how Pittsburgh could acquire him - he doesn't think they have the assets.

That was before Malkin re-signed. In a year he could sign with them - Zucker would be off the books which gives over 5M that could go towards an extension.

Marino + Kapanen + 2023 first + Zucker (cap dump) for Miller?

16 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

AND Poolman..oakydoke

Sure!  Dumperoo that craperolla!  

In that post from mll it was mentioned Miller lives 2 miles from the Pittsburgh practice facility.  Miller never did buy here.  Maybe he was moving on from here, and wants to live there full time?  Sure sounds like that’s his home.  

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

if your goal is to compete and not retool? ya i am. you guys wanted to re-sign miller. so is your plan re-signing miller just to float around the next couple of season to wait out those dead weights contract. anything from 2023 2nd 3rd 4th whatever they are not going sniff the lineup probably till 2026.. if u are not willing to move assets to dump the dead weight to make adjustment to the roster. then there's absolutely no reason to re-sign miller. move miller get ur players/prospect/picks.. then wait out the dead weights since you are not willing to move assets to move them. and then look to compete in around 3 years time.

there's still lots of time to do that, if they really want to.