The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yup, he's been my Nashville target for awhile.......solid all around dman who can skate well for a big guy.

shhh, don't speak too loudly we all heard the reports that Poile doesn't want to win for about 6-10 years. He's playing the slow silent game. :lol: 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So you're telling me they'd have no interest in Miller because he's an even better player than they're hoping for and having trouble finding....

Other than Carrier, none of those pieces are overwhelmingly "top" pieces. If they aren't willing to give up those 4 pieces, they better give up 2-3 higher quality ones. I am actually think they'd find my proposal more favourable :lol:

Nashville is not set up to win a Cup next season.  They haven't fixed their backup goalie - they signed Lankinen.  An injury to Saros and their season is likely over.  

So how much are they really looking to pay to add a stop-gap for their 2nd line? 

You are asking for a 1st round pick in a deep draft when Nashville has no certainty of making the post-season.  They were really bad to end the season.  They also needed career years from several players to get into the post-season - their shooting percentages way higher than previous years.

Edited by mll

22 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Prokop is homosexual.

The new owner had an anti-LGBTQ agenda when he was Governor.

it’s mostly speculation that it would translate into his ownership/direction in the hockey world though 

My theory is that it wouldn't surprise me for Prokop to discretely request a trade.

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Rumor has it JR is actually a frequent poster here and he's just been sitting on a deal because he likes reading all of the action during his morning coffee.

I'll give you one clue. It's not SilentSam.

But yes, he's given me his word on a dm. Miller is as good as gone once we reach 1000. All good thing must come to an end he said.

Friedman is that you ?

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

See posters saying we would lose 30g scorer and 99pt. Do people forget we got Kuzmenko the top euro free agent and Mikheyev. Both of those guys should be good for 40pts you hope and 20g a piece. Not including the return we get for JT.

Fans are nuts to think keeping JT thru the TDL is okay to make the playoffs, to then see him walk. Are the fans mentioning that part of the Aqualini family? No chance Canucks win a Stanley Cup this year so would be stupid to NOT trade JT...unless he signs an extension to stay here which sounded like contract talks were not close and can't see Canucks management all of a sudden changing their offer to a # JT may want or JT wanting to commit during the season.

People whined about Markstrom, Tanev, Hamhuis, Edler etc all leaving for nothing..and now you want a JT who is best player who could leave and you all do NOT want assets in return, guess we will just be a bottom feeder for a long time. Tampa, Colorado all had draft picks to help lead them to Stanley Cups. Canucks have traded way too many away with the old regime and it is time to start TRADING assets to get more picks and prospects to help us build our team into a contender one day!

It is hard to really know what is going on. JTM may not be willing to engage at all in contract talks and they are just keeping it quiet he may be asking for what Calgary offered little Johnny. 
With JTM this isn’t really a team that you think can take a run at the Avs or the best teams in the East so I take JR at his word that if he starts getting close to TD then he will trade him and recoup what assets he can.
He may know JTM isn’t coming back already and just playing it cool for media to try to maintain a market. The new management group seems to have pretty good discipline with the media. 

Seems there are a few distinct possibilities still, Nashville a borderline playoff team with some good vets but needs more up front, NYI who made a nice trade but hasn’t improved scoring and possibly still NJ.  Also given he may be the shiniest bauble around at the TDL, don’t rule out Vegas doing something stupid, never rule out Vegas doing something stupid. 
‘Maybe a few other possibilities but going to be a lot of conjecture around these teams because the market is so limited. 

‘Oh yeah the point I actually meant to make before I started rambling, don’t count on Kuz to be in the NHL much less a 20g scorer as a older Euro rookie.  Just as good chance he can’t make it in NHL as he is a solid forward for us and that could be 13th/depth forward.  Pencilling Mik in for 20ish fine. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say with re-signing forsberg and with duschene, Johansson, josi, McDonough, ekholm, saros all in their prime, that they are all in on a Cup ASAP.

Miller would be a huge boost to that group

At the TDL if they are well positioned.  Just don't see them paying the price for a full season when there's no guarantee they will even make the post-season.

Their 2nd half was very poor. They lost their last game of the season after leading 4-0 against Arizona and dropped to wildcard 2 to face Colorado and got swept.  It took career years for several of their players and an outstanding performance by Saros for them to even make the post-season.  There's no guarantee they can replicate that performance - it's unlikely that Duchene/Forsberg can maintain 18% shooting percentages.

Saros has been overworked and it has lead to fatigue and injuries. They had Ingram in the minors and just signed Lankinen on a 1-way - doesn't sound like a team all that confident in their backup plans.

They just allocated 7M to McDonagh for the next 4 seasons which makes it near impossible for them to add an impact forward after this season - ie they don't have the cap space to extend Miller in a year.

If you listened to that Friedman interview he confirms that only 2 teams aside Calgary were in on Gaudreau.  Teams can't find cap space and dumping cap is a major issue.  Nashville is tied to some expensive contracts which they can't or don't want to move.  They have to hope that some of their younger players can make an impact earlier than later.

• Cheers 1

Go to the 20 minute mark.

What about this trade assuming JT signs a 6-7 year extension with them as the Islanders are all in?

Islanders Receive:

Miller 50% retained

Canucks Receive:

Wahlstrom

Raty

23 1st

It doesn't solve the D corp issue, but it's a package that management is looking for. Canucks get a young faster Boeser replacement. I know the Wings are loaded, but this allows for a hockey trade at some point with Boeser/Garland for a RHD.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Maybe, depends what the other pieces are. It's better than nothing though. I would want Prokop though before Fabbro.

Yeah and then wait years for him to develop. I thought you didn't want to do that though? Bottom line he's a huge RD that plays a solid D game. Why wouldn't we take that now plus a pick next year? I'm not really following that logic ... I guess we could just draft Miller next year too.

Why? Because it's selling low.

1 hour ago, AC Readership said:

Go to the 20 minute mark.

What about this trade assuming JT signs a 6-7 year extension with them as the Islanders are all in?

Islanders Receive:

Miller 50% retained

Canucks Receive:

Wahlstrom

Raty

23 1st

It doesn't solve the D corp issue, but it's a package that management is looking for. Canucks get a young faster Boeser replacement. I know the Wings are loaded, but this allows for a hockey trade at some point with Boeser/Garland for a RHD.

I think we should accept that a miller deal might not being a dman back and they'd take the best deal they can get and then use the surplus for another deal.

Raty, yes please

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think we should accept that a miller deal might not being a dman back and they'd take the best deal they can get and then use the surplus for another deal.

Raty, yes please

I would even just do Raty and 1st at this point because the first may be high like top 10 so they will want some protection.

10 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I would even just do Raty and 1st at this point because the first may be high like top 10 so they will want some protection.

I might too, but without retaining salary

Edited by stawns

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Raty, yes please

I'd really want to get Bode Wilde if we are dealing with the Islanders.  They have the pieces to make a real interesting deal with us.

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1