The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

30 minutes ago, JM_ said:

you're making a pretty good argument for re-signing here. 

Whats your line for a good vs bad extension?

I think Miller is fantastic.  But will he sign a contract that works for the club?  If he will not sign for 50 million (8.35 x six) what do we do?  

4 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

And while I'm on a rant...(sorry guys)...

I wish JR and Allvin could've been a little bit more like Lou and don't tell every other team what we're going to do in the off season before we do it.

They talked a whole lot of stuff about shedding cap, getting more picks, improving the D, and signing or trading Miller.

None of it has happened. They look stupid now and every other GM knows what VAN desperately wants to do. I really hope they don't feel pressured now to make some bad trades to try and save face.

Yeah it looks like they totally botched this. Should have made a move early when options were available without telegraphing everything. Looks like a whole lot of the same this year now. Oh well.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Miller is fantastic.  But will he sign a contract that works for the club?  If he will not sign for 50 million (8.35 x six) what do we do?  

I do think that is possible, in part because there hasn't been a deal for him yet and if we do move him now its probably as a rental, and he then has to go looking for a deal as a UFA in a year where he risks not getting the big payday. Look at Klingberg e.g., its not going how he expected I'm sure. 

I'd be fine with 8 years as long as the AAV is in the low 7's. 

Edited by JM_
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

And while I'm on a rant...(sorry guys)...

I wish JR and Allvin could've been a little bit more like Lou and don't tell every other team what we're going to do in the off season before we do it.

They talked a whole lot of stuff about shedding cap, getting more picks, improving the D, and signing or trading Miller.

None of it has happened. They look stupid now and every other GM knows what VAN desperately wants to do. I really hope they don't feel pressured now to make some bad trades to try and save face.

wut? 

Do you really think every other GM doesn't know exactly what position the Canucks are in by looking at the roster? :lol:

Maybe you set unrealistic expectations for what a new staff can do in a few months, vs. them "looking stupid."

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If JT gets dealt these teams might be interest in him and my thoughts on return.

JT

Pearson

to Nashville

Fabbro, Sissons, Trenin/Prokop/2023 2nd/Tolvanen

JT

Pearson/Dermott/Rathbone

to NYI

Mayfield(extension) Raty, Beauvillier, 2023 2nd

JT, Pearson/Dickinson, Dermott/Rathbone

to NJ

Severson(extension) Wood(rfa brings sandpaper) Bahl, Boqvist/2023 2nd

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

If JT gets dealt these teams might be interest in him and my thoughts on return.

JT

Pearson

to Nashville

JT

Pearson/Dermott/Rathbone

to NYI

to NJ

Fabbro is the only think that comes close to what we need IMO.

34 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah it looks like they totally botched this. Should have made a move early when options were available without telegraphing everything. Looks like a whole lot of the same this year now. Oh well.

Don't take the bait gawdz, Take a look at the list of pending UFAs. Nearly every single team has a top player in Miller's exact situation. It's not like we are the only ones unable to quickly make something happen. Still like 2 months till the season starts anyways

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Don't take the bait gawdz, Take a look at the list of pending UFAs. Nearly every single team has a top player in Miller's exact situation. It's not like we are the only ones unable to quickly make something happen. Still like 2 months till the season starts anyways

all the pending ufa in those situations are all legit playoff borderline cup contender.. we are neither

42 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Management is better at communicating than the Benning group but they still talk too much imo.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

JT

Pearson

to Nashville

JT

Pearson/Dermott/Rathbone

to NYI

to NJ

Sign me up for any of those. I like Prokop, and Raty, and Wood is a decent roster player and Bahl is a big RD we need in the system. It's important to get as many 1st and second rounders as we can into the system as soon as we can so I like the added pick in each scenario. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

I feel like a lot of the people throwing Boqvist's name around from New Jersey might have him mixed up with the right handed defenseman Adam Boqvist in Columbus. obi-wan kenobi not the droids GIF

Nah, to me Adam's brother Jesper is minor part of a larger deal, who is young, very fast, has been deployed in a defensive role and done well despite being drafted as a dynamic offensive player, is cheap, can play C or W, has a ceiling (with some risk) to play the C hole that would be left in a Miller trade. In the same vein, if Allvin could bring Rodrigues in instead, I would be indifferent to Boqvist being added to the deal unless another winger (Pearson, Dickie, Hoggie) was going with Miller.

Trade Miller for Necas.

Trade Pearson for a 3rd. 

Sign De Haan. 

Podkolzin-Petterson-Necas

Garland-Horvat-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Dickinson-Mikheyev 

Joshua-Lazar-Hoglander

OEL-Myers 

Hughes- De Haan 

Rathbone - Schenn 

Ok I'll go back to work. 

1 minute ago, NHL'er said:

Trade Miller for Necas.

Trade Pearson for a 3rd. 

Sign De Haan. 

Podkolzin-Petterson-Necas

Garland-Horvat-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Dickinson-Mikheyev 

Joshua-Lazar-Hoglander

OEL-Myers 

Hughes- De Haan 

Rathbone - Schenn 

Ok I'll go back to work. 

We might need you today to help get us to 1,000, so don't work too hard.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, mll said:

They got Romanov to be Dobson's long term D-partner.  Pelech-Pulock / Romanov-Dobson are going to be their top-4 for some time.  

NYI spent far too much time in their own zone - ie they couldn't get themselves into scoring opportunities because they were stuck in their own zone.  Their primary issue was on D not up front. 

NYI forwards haven't been able to score their whole careers, so not sure what Dobson is going to do to improve that.  Didn't Dobson play over 21 minutes a night last year and still their top forward had only 59 points?  

Anders Lee, Josh Bailey, JG Pageau, Kyle Palmieri, Anthony Beauvillier.  These guys are career 50 point players.  Not even Bobby Orr would be able to turn them into 99 point players.  Brock Nelson had a career year last year at age 30.  These guys aren't even point per game players nevermind 100 point players.  The only forward NYI have that can compete with a JT Miller is Mathew Barzal.  That's it.

Jack Rathbone can move the puck, probably just as good as Dobson really.  He'd be a great asset to NYI.  Miller + Rathbone for Dobson would be a good deal for both teams.  NYI can then sign Mayfield to a long term extension.  Gotta give to get.  NYI having Dobson in their lineup isn't going to help much if all of your forwards minus Barzal can't even score 60 points.  They need Miller just as much as we need Dobson.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Nervous The Big Bang Theory GIF

Lots of talk from the bosses but not a lot of action. Maybe they shouldn't have said anything when they got hired. Talk of big changes, not recognizing the team,  and tough decisions. They got my hopes up we'd be moving on from this failing (no offence) Benning plan but 8 months later nothing much has changed and were waddling around cluelessly like usual. NFL Football can't start soon enough for me.

Trust me I keep trying not to refresh this dumb thread ... but I'm addicted. It's got a hold of me! :P