The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

51 minutes ago, BPA said:

40g is a tough ask.  I would keep expectations at 30g.

$6M x 8yrs is very good value for a 30g scorer.  It would be a steal for a 40g scorer.

If Boeser is only a 20-25g / 50pt player, he’d be slightly overpaid at $6M.

It’s a gamble.

I'm a gamble I would be more then willing to take. Boesers career has essentially been split between 2 different players. One is a dominate shooter that could realistically flirt with 40 in has career, and one is closer to a 25 guy. Last year he was a force and in many people's opinion, including my own, our best skater. Rookie Boeser was also a shooting monster and had all the promise in the world potting nearly a ppg.

Injuries derailed his production a couple years ago, and this year he was clearly in a very difficult head space. I don't feel that an injuried Boeser or a Boeser that's trying to cope with the severe decline of his father's health is the player he is going forward. Those are outside factors that have lead to some down years.

All that being said, if absolutely worst case scenario (this year dealing with Dukes decline) is a player that is putting up 25 goals and 50 points that is still a solid player to have on your team. If he is the player he shows in good years, nearly a ppg, that's a must have on your team paired with how good of a person he is by all accounts.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jeff Skinner got a 9x8 contract after a 40 goal season. He isn’t very big, isn’t a great skater and isn’t great defensively. But he scored 40 goals. 

How many wingers scored 40 goals this past year?  12, 13 in the entire league?  

Boeser scored 29 goals in only 62 games as a rookie. It is conceivable he can get back to that level under Boudreau and pop in 35 goals. 

Oh def, even during a down season he was quite productive as far as RW's go

If he bets on himself and stays healthy he likely gets paid long term

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not sure about that. Those last 2 years on a 4 year deal are UFA years. I think they will cost the Canucks more than $6.5 million. 

I could see a 3 year deal maximum. 6.5x3 he may consider it. 3 years gives him enough time to get back to where he used to be. At 28 years old as a UFA if he can become a 40 goal scorer then he’s looking at a Jeff Skinner type deal. 

Boeser would be foolish (financially) to turn down a deal 3 years or longer that has a cap cost of 6+.  If the Canucks offer him 6 mil x 5 (total 30 million) he's signing, or he's all looks and no brains.  

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If he bets on himself and stays healthy he likely gets paid long term

I agree.  I don' think he signs a long term deal at this point.  I see either a 1 year QO deal or a 6.5x3.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Boeser would be foolish (financially) to turn down a deal 3 years or longer that has a cap cost of 6+.  If the Canucks offer him 6 mil x 5 (total 30 million) he's signing, or he's all looks and no brains.  

Why is he foolish?  If he bets on himself and gets back to where he used to be he can become a 35 goal scorer again.  That puts him well above a $6 million deal.  He's looking at $8 million as a UFA, he's not gonna sign a $6 million to stay in Vancouver long term.

42 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'll take the contrarian view on this: this season, Boeser has provided negative value. He was too slow, not shifty enough, only produced when he was on the PP and even floated on frequent occasions. This is in sharp contrast to his last season when he was the Canucks' best forward and seemed ready to take the next step to stardom.

22 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

I'll take the contrarian view on this: this season, Boeser has provided negative value. He was too slow, not shifty enough, only produced when he was on the PP and even floated on frequent occasions. This is in sharp contrast to his last season when he was the Canucks' best forward and seemed ready to take the next step to stardom.

He looked like he struggled during stretches, probably a combo of injuries and what was going on at home, but i wouldnt label his season as negative value.  20+ goal seasons arent easy to come by (garland has one 20 goal season as a reference point) , plus this might be surprising to some:

cf% - ranked first on the team

cf% rel - ranked first on the team

ff% - ranked third on the team

ff% rel - ranked third on the team

fewest give aways of the top 6 forwards

5th on the team for take aways

source https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/

I dont think he hurt the team, his production wasnt what we hoped for.  IMHO the best way to handle him would be to sign him to something agreeable to both sides (i wonder if he would take a contract heavily laced with bonus clauses with a relatively lower cap hit) and if he can come back with a 30 goal season they can move him  if they deem that to be the best move to improve other areas of the team.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why is he foolish?  If he bets on himself and gets back to where he used to be he can become a 35 goal scorer again.  That puts him well above a $6 million deal.  He's looking at $8 million as a UFA, he's not gonna sign a $6 million to stay in Vancouver long term.

It doesn't sound like the Nucks will let him walk (even if they just sign him for 1yr to see how he does).  At this point, I really

can't see a team paying Brock $8m x whatever. He just not worth that amount.

6 minutes ago, Darius said:

He looked like he struggled during stretches, probably a combo of injuries and what was going on at home, but i wouldnt label his season as negative value.  20+ goal seasons arent easy to come by (garland has one 20 goal season as a reference point) , plus this might be surprising to some:

I dont think he hurt the team, his production wasnt what we hoped for.  IMHO the best way to handle him would be to sign him to something agreeable to both sides (i wonder if he would take a contract heavily laced with bonus clauses with a relatively lower cap hit) and if he can come back with a 30 goal season they can move him  if they deem that to be the best move to improve other areas of the team.

I think they go for 6.5-7 million X 3 years with him

Edited by Bure_Pavel

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boeser has been with us 5-6 seasons already, and we are talking possibilities rather than probabilities.

Perhaps it’s better to seek other probabilities considering the RFA status of this player.

Here’s something to think about:

If we do not Re-sign our pending UFA’s, 

and remember that the Luongo **recapture fiasco is over (per capfriendly), 

“Regular roster” attrition helps us a bit this year.

Richardson   800k

Chaisson       750k

Hunt               800k

Halak.             1.5m

Sutter             1.125m

Luongo**          3.035,212m

Should be roughly 7 m available 

out of all of those players I’d like to see Chaisson back.

Perhaps still let Boeser Walk and/ or Qualify an offer to Luc Dubois for something the Jets can not handle.

His QO is : 6.7  (less than Boeser’s.

This also holds a “bird” in the hand if Miller is moved before being signed to an extension.

I do believe we are in a situation to return to the Jets the restitution around such an acquisition.

as far as player positioning , we have centers who can play wing,  they all rove, and check to a system or formula.

nothing wrong with an extra Center man playing wing.

Edited by SilentSam

48 minutes ago, Darius said:

I would agree his home troubles affected him.

Speaking on a personal level.  When my father passed away a few years ago, I was like a zombie for a month.  Lifeless.  My father-in-law is in the hospital and my wife is currently overwhelmed and stressed.

I can’t imagine Boeser being able to perform at a high level night in and night out last season.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Brock’s going to want some security, especially what’s going on with his family with his dad, Duke, and how that would affect the rest of his family down the road. I think he’ll sign a longer ish term deal that’s fair for him and for the Canucks. I think he signs 3-4 years at 6, maybe 6.5M. 

I think that's his max max deal.   But your in the ball-park for sure.   Reality is he only really earned his second contract one of the three years.  Injuries matter otherwise maybe two.    Buying a year or two of UFA years i also see as his max deal.    Guess we will find out.   But your for sure in the ball-park. 

4 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Minny has already turned down a deal for brock.  

Aside from that, too much delusion on this board.  We need the cap space for  elite players. 

Exactly!  Dumbo is a cap dump at this point.  

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Minny has already turned down a deal for brock.  

Aside from that, too much delusion on this board.  We need the cap space for  elite players. 

More delusion on the Boeser hater front if we’re being honest. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Link?

I think the rumour was (before the 2022 TDL) several teams, including Minny, called on Brock and asked if they could talk with him about an extension before making a trade.  JR said no.  I think that’s what was reported?