The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does ownership still allow Jim Benning to make any moves?

Rate this topic

aqua59

How much actual power does JB have right now. All moves would need approval.

If I was  ownership at this point I wouldn't let Jim Benning make a trade.

As stated on 650 this morning no single trade fixes this mess. 

Forget any player movement at this point. 

If Jim Benning is a puppet then ownership must start realizing they better let a pro run their franchise as apposed to Francesco running through JB. It's a failure if true.

That said I think there is family accountability and Aqualini wouldn't be acting alone,  without family input. 

None the less the focus is on ownership as much as management and coaching. The brand has suffered a black eye seen by the rest of the league.

The Vancouver brand is a laughing stock right now.

I wouldn't let Jim Benning trade  a kids school lunch at this point.

Thoughts?

Edited by aqua59
  • Like 1

• aqua59 changed the title to Does ownership still allow Jim Benning to make any moves?
7 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Ive always thought that if you cant trust your gm to make a trade than you might as well fire him now. So if they truly dont trust him then its time to get rid of benning and green, i would prefer to just fire green for now though.

I'm just wondering if they're in the midst of lining some one up. 

You don't hire someone for a job at that level and then tell them not to do their job while you look for someone else. 

Either JB is the GM with all the rights and responsibilities associated with that position or he is relieved of his job and it's someone else's. 

There's no in-between. 

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

How much actual power does JB have right now. All moves would need approval.

If I was  ownership at this point I wouldn't let Jim Benning make a trade.

As stated on 650 this morning no single trade fixes this mess. 

Forget any player movement at this point. 

If Jim Benning is a puppet then ownership must start realizing they better let a pro run their franchise as apposed to Francesco running through JB. It's a failure if true.

That said I think there is family accountability and Aqualini wouldn't be acting alone,  without family input. 

None the less the focus is on ownership as much as management and coaching. The brand has suffered a black eye seen by the rest of the league.

The Vancouver brand is a laughing stock right now.

I wouldn't let Jim Benning trade  a kids school lunch at this point.

Thoughts?

This is kind of a silly question. If they didn't still have trust in Benning, he would already be gone.

I'm also not sure about the whole "One trade doesn't fix this". We're not far away, this is about balancing, not wholesale rip apart and start again.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

This is kind of a silly question. If they didn't still have trust in Benning, he would already be gone.

I'm also not sure about the whole "One trade doesn't fix this". We're not far away, this is about balancing, not wholesale rip apart and start again.

All the deadweight has been already been removed from the club.  We’re already pretty much at the cap ceiling.  No room to add anyone without unloading someone (which just removes one hole by creating another).

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

All the deadweight has been already been removed from the club

not yet it hasn't.

E.P is currently dead weight

Bo is almost dead weight, only thing keeping him out of that category is his face off skills

Brock is currently deadweight

Pearson is currently deadweight in 7 out of 10 games

The penalty kill is a huge deadweight

The power play is almost always deadweight

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

All the deadweight has been already been removed from the club.  We’re already pretty much at the cap ceiling.  No room to add anyone without unloading someone (which just removes one hole by creating another).

You are correct, we need to trade from positions of strength.

We're strong at Right Wing. We have Boeser, Hoglander, Garland and Podkolzin, all capable of playing top 9 minutes on the right side.

Trade Boeser to address other weaknesses in the team. This doesn't create another hole, just balances weaknesses from strength.

We still have Klimovich coming in a year or two to further bolster our strength on the right wing.

• Cheers 1