The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are Our Options?

Rate this topic

JayDangles

Feels $&!#ty to not support the team - but no much else u can do in todays landscape. 

No spending cash on the team is the only way the ownership will be forced to make a change. I have a suspicion that so much revenue come from corperate boxes and corperate owned season tickets that even the hardcore fans like us refusing to buy tickets and game packs isn't a big hit. Just a theory but anyone who has been a to a leafs or habs home game and seen the arena literally <30% home fans probably thinks the same. 

Also pretty sure not watching games doesn't make a difference - i think the TV revenue is divied up ahead of time and not affected by viewer numbers. again not 100% sure tho and i'm too dissillusioned with the team right not to bother checking.

Think all we can do is keep hope alive and really support whatever the next change is hard (unless its a completely dumb one like trading hughes for Megna) and hope to god that makes a difference. 

5 hours ago, JayDangles said:

It seems apparent to me that Aquaman, as owner is refusing to make any changes to the current situation. Despite having the worst start to a season, the lowest GF to start a season, the worst penalty kill in the history of the league etc.

So my question is what are our options as fans, to force change?

Not watching games on tv is a long way from forcing change. Writing on Twitter does nothing.

If fans stop going to games, that will hurt his pocket book, but if he is losing money then he is less likely to fire the gm or coach and pay wasted salary.

Do we start boo'ing home games?

So what are our options as fans to try and help Aqua see that things need to change?

Don't take hockey so seriously and simply go to the games to enjoy a night out with friends and family.   Support the boys to the best of your ability and let Mother Nature take its course just as it did during the late 90's with the Canucks.   

If you are no longer enjoying hockey, find a different hobby and don't get stressed out about the Canucks.  Come back when they start to upswing again.  There's no shame in that.

I really think Green is the problem, well the system he wants them to play is. I just have this feeling that the better players don't believe that his dump and chase system is suited to their style/skills so they are not buying in or perhaps they are trying but they just can't change how they've played for years that got them to the NHL. It's not so much that a different body behind the bench will change things but someone who will build a system that works for the players strengths..at least a coach with the NHL experience to be able to assess what  system would work with the players strengths, not building a system and trying to get the players to fit it. no matter what.

I feel so sorry for OEL who wanted out of Arizona because he was tired of being on a losing team so he comes here expecting things to be better...he must feel like he's in Arizona the sequel.

• Like 1

First I would fire the coach and GM. I would hire a president of hockey ops to fill in as interim GM till we find one.

We need to see whether or not this team can have any sort of success under a new coach, if they can't then the group as it is isn't cut out.

If this group can't pull it together as we near this trade deadline then soft rebuild. Keep everyone under 25ish. Trade everyone of value over 25ish. Accumulate picks and prospects for your players of value like Miller, Horvat, Boeser?/Garland?(if you don't decide to hang on to them). You don't have to trade every veteran of value right away this season but guys like Miller and Horvat are at their highest value now. You'd be shedding cap space at the same time, try to stay near the floor. Draft top 5 for 2 years with our own pick then start to build your roster with the high end youngsters you draft, the prospects you traded for and the rest of the holes on the roster via free agency with the cap you cleared.

You wouldn't be a playoff team right away after the 2 year soft build with youngsters on the team needing time to grow and perhaps you can't fill on the holes on the roster in one off-season(that's a big ask) but you'd be on the uptrend.

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It's not so much about shaming the team as it is about shaming the organization imo. The team has it's share of responsibility, but the organizational structure has failed Canucks fans as well. Changes need to be made from the top down, and if we've got to shame ownership into making meaningful change than so be it. 

Exactly, and that brings it back to my original reason for starting this threat. How do we shame management/the organization and not the players?

13 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Exactly, and that brings it back to my original reason for starting this threat. How do we shame management/the organization and not the players?

I'm not sure it's doable, given how intertwined it all is. 

Fans can go after the Canucks on social media, chant at games, throw jerseys, ect. But it's all inevitably going to impact the squad. 

On 11/26/2021 at 8:06 AM, Moe Knows said:

I really think Green is the problem, well the system he wants them to play is. I just have this feeling that the better players don't believe that his dump and chase system is suited to their style/skills so they are not buying in or perhaps they are trying but they just can't change how they've played for years that got them to the NHL. It's not so much that a different body behind the bench will change things but someone who will build a system that works for the players strengths..at least a coach with the NHL experience to be able to assess what  system would work with the players strengths, not building a system and trying to get the players to fit it. no matter what.

I feel so sorry for OEL who wanted out of Arizona because he was tired of being on a losing team so he comes here expecting things to be better...he must feel like he's in Arizona the sequel.

Less media scrutiny there prolly he hopes he never came here.

On 11/25/2021 at 8:56 AM, Warhippy said:

Our options?

As fans nothing,

period.

I myself, I won't watch.  I'll look at highlights etc but that's it.  No more merch, no more games, no paid anything.  Speaking with my wallet and refusal to view.  Shame because the kids were supposed to get Nucks jerseys for christmas

Exact same less the kids as I don’t have kids. But no company Christmas game tickets this year.

that would be worse than giving lumps of coal 

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

At least he looks like he can beat the $&!# out of someone lol

AQUAMAN bursts into Berg office unexpected 

YOU HAVE TO TRADE PLAYER X AND YOU HAVE TO PICK UP PLAYER Y FROM WAIVERS, He’s Italian.

berg had a workout bench with weights drops his 80lb dumbells. Stands up pumped to the tits. 

and stares aqua man down.

what happens?? 

On 11/25/2021 at 8:29 AM, JayDangles said:

It seems apparent to me that Aquaman, as owner is refusing to make any changes to the current situation. Despite having the worst start to a season, the lowest GF to start a season, the worst penalty kill in the history of the league etc.

So my question is what are our options as fans, to force change?

Not watching games on tv is a long way from forcing change. Writing on Twitter does nothing.

If fans stop going to games, that will hurt his pocket book, but if he is losing money then he is less likely to fire the gm or coach and pay wasted salary.

Do we start boo'ing home games?

So what are our options as fans to try and help Aqua see that things need to change?

Your options are to not attend Canucks game or buy tix and dont watch them on sportsnet and just watch illegal streams. Hit the ownership where it hurts, money. Then you will see Aquaman care about the team right away. Either he sells it, or gets serious about attracting fans and actually tries to build a good team. Until then  no one cares except the fans. 

On 11/25/2021 at 3:46 PM, JayDangles said:

Get it on the airways, on media outlets, everywhere. Shame the organization, because "negativity" sells doesn't it? The louder we become, the more of a story it becomes not just locally, but nationally, even league wide. 

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I still rather have Gillis. He is the beat option out there, along with Avs assistant GM.

I think Gillis as POHO maybe, okay. But Gillis as GM? No way. The man couldn't draft. We are upset with Benning and some of his moves, but at least the man gave us some really skilled and talented players (Petey, Hughes, Boeser, Podkolzin, Höglander, etc). I don't trust Gillis to be able to make good selections, especially in the later rounds. Who did he draft that was a later round pick? 

I'd like the McFarlane guy in the Avs organization. If we could get permission to talk to him, I'd be all in for that. 

I wanted Jeff Gorton, but he's now gone to Montréal. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

Less media scrutiny there prolly he hopes he never came here.

Arizona doesn't cover the Coyotes very much or intensely. 

If the team is on a losing ski, they'd be asking "We have a team?" 

Wasn't that the case when the Thrashers were in Atlanta? People didn't even know they had a hockey team there. It was so shameful.