The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aquilini’s pride is getting in the way of change.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

5 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Sorry Guys, I don't buy the idea Aqualini didn't allow for a proper rebuild.

Benning has had plenty of time to do a complete rebuild and he had time to assemble a decent defense.

He has let players go who he should have kept... i.e. Tanev and maybe even Edler.  (who is playing #1 pairing minutes currently in LA)

The other problem is coaching... this team should be a playoff team even with the current roster.

Really? Then why did Trevor Linden step down over the differences with ownership over that exact thing? He wanted full rebuild vs rebuild on the fly that ownership and Benning wanted in hopes of maybe squeeking into the playoffs.

• Vintage 2

3 hours ago, Rubik said:

lol, as soon as the team goes on a 5-game winning streak next year, everybody will jump back on the bandwagon

Maybe. Vancouver is a very bandwagon fan base the past 25 years. 

It took 4 to 5 years for it to recover last time things were this bad. You could get 4 tix for $101 bucks off a radio promo for about 1/3 of home games. 

In 99 and 2000 I was getting free tickets off scalpers 10 mins into the game.

I hope ticket prices plummet like that again due to lack of demand. 

Edited by Gnarcore

11 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Maybe. Vancouver is a very bandwagon fan base the past 25 years. 

It took 4 to 5 years for it to recover last time things were this bad. You could get 4 tix for $101 bucks off a radio promo for about 1/3 of home games. 

In 99 and 2000 I was getting free tickets off scalpers 10 mins into the game.

I hope ticket prices plummet like that again due to lack of demand. 

So you'd rather the team be ass for your own personal gain on entertainment?

"Fan"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

So you'd rather the team be ass for your own personal gain on entertainment?

"Fan"

I want it because it will drive change. Id prefer they somehow pull off a miracle mid season and start kicking ass but if results like this continue I hope it kills ticket values and shows mediocrity will not do. 

I don't live in Vancouver and this wouldn't change how many times I go a year. I sold my tickets to two games 2 weeks ago. This quality of play isnt worth the gas and hotel cost right now. 

I've watched this team for close to 40 years. Don't question my fandom. 

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Change is coming.  But it takes time.

You have to do your due diligence when firing management and coaches. It's a huge commitment.  This season is already a wash anyways, may as well let these guys finish the season and hire new guys in the summer for a fresh start. A new coach and manager isnt going to help this team make the playoffs this season.

No you fire Green you can not let this guy continue to coach these kids.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Is it pride holding them back or stupidity? It’s a fine line. 

It's stupidity 100%. He was stupid to not let Linden/Benning do their jobs and do a full rebuild to start with. Easy for fans to blame the GM and coach, i put this mess squarely on Aqua. He really should take notes from  LA, Ana, and NYR rebuilds....rock bottom bad for 4 years and stock pile picks. They started their rebuilds after Van and have passed us on the path to being good already.  I'm sure fans would have taken 4 years of tough times vs a consistently mediocre team rebuilt on the fly....it never works. 

Van since 2014: 

7, 1sts, 6 2nds and nearly the worst team in league 

Since 2017  - Teams where the owners let the pros do their job, do proper rebuilds and are on the upswing: 

Nyr: 9, 1sts, 4, 2nds 
Ana: 6, 1sts, 6, 2nds 
LA: 6, 1sts,  7,  2nds

Edited by Pbhatti00
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Really? Then why did Trevor Linden step down over the differences with ownership over that exact thing? He wanted full rebuild vs rebuild on the fly that ownership and Benning wanted in hopes of maybe squeeking into the playoffs.

I highly doubt you know the reason why Trevor Linden resigned.

I know this has been talked about ad nauseum but I think back to that interview in the summer with FA. And he said last season cause of no fans and covid was an anomaly and this team is more indicative to what we saw in the bubble.

But he forgot that our 2 best shutdown d men in Tanev and Edler; our starting all star goalie in Markstrom and Troy Stecher all left that off season.

Arguments could be made on the importance of Marky leaving cause of demkos emergence against Vegas or that Stech was easily replaceable, or that Tanev was often injured...

But a HUGE chunk of that team left and wasn't really replaced. I'd say Ekman-Larsson is an upgrade on Edler buy otherwise I don't see many upgrades.

We never replaced Tanev with any shutdown D half as capable as him... not to mention these were all guys that were loved in the room, glue guys.

Benning had lightning in a bottle and smashed that bottle to pieces.

I know a hockey team and it's players have a shelf life and there is some short of turn over from season to season. But I dont understand why so many character moves were made to a team on the upswing.

The fact FA couldn't see this just exacerbates the point that we need a true hockey mind to oversee this team and a new voice in the GM office and on the bench.

And please FA. Back TF off, this is on you.

• Like 1

Canuck fans have short memories if they think the Aquilini’s are poor owners. Never during their tenure have they shortchanged the org with under funding. This goes beyond the CAP as they bought a AHL franchise and spent on the physical layouts at Rogers Arena. They didn’t skimp when Benning added personnel to scouting. Look at the charitable out reach the Canucks have done in the BC community. Lots of the complaints listed here are more than low, they reek. 

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Canuck fans have short memories if they think the Aquilini’s are poor owners. Never during their tenure have they shortchanged the org with under funding. This goes beyond the CAP as they bought a AHL franchise and spent on the physical layouts at Rogers Arena. They didn’t skimp when Benning added personnel to scouting. Look at the charitable out reach the Canucks have done in the BC community. Lots of the complaints listed here are more than low, they reek. 

They cut back the front office.. obviously disrespected Trevor linden. You don't find it odd that linden stepped down out of nowhere and has just disappeared from the public eye and they have never ever replaced his position..... you know why ?

Cause FA thinks he can do it himself. Look, all of us fans think we know our hockey, just like FA, he's a fan too.

But I would never think that i could run an nhl team as good or better than a former player or an NHL executive with experience.

FA's ego is bigger than his wallet 

33 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I know this has been talked about ad nauseum but I think back to that interview in the summer with FA. And he said last season cause of no fans and covid was an anomaly and this team is more indicative to what we saw in the bubble.

But he forgot that our 2 best shutdown d men in Tanev and Edler; our starting all star goalie in Markstrom and Troy Stecher all left that off season.

Arguments could be made on the importance of Marky leaving cause of demkos emergence against Vegas or that Stech was easily replaceable, or that Tanev was often injured...

But a HUGE chunk of that team left and wasn't really replaced. I'd say Ekman-Larsson is an upgrade on Edler buy otherwise I don't see many upgrades.

We never replaced Tanev with any shutdown D half as capable as him... not to mention these were all guys that were loved in the room, glue guys.

Benning had lightning in a bottle and smashed that bottle to pieces.

I know a hockey team and it's players have a shelf life and there is some short of turn over from season to season. But I dont understand why so many character moves were made to a team on the upswing.

The fact FA couldn't see this just exacerbates the point that we need a true hockey mind to oversee this team and a new voice in the GM office and on the bench.

And please FA. Back TF off, this is on you.

Agree.

Been saying the same thing since we let tanev, marky, stetch go.  Add that to edler, beagle, roussel, and this team has lost most of its leadership and character.  How tf did anyone think no heart players like bailey, poolman, rathbone could replace what was let go?