The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup....AND could have used the cap space saved there, to add Marino for Rathbone +

Bo may have even come in closer to $7 in the summer, before scoring ALL the goals.

They F#%@'d this up.

Huge ya the comp from their camp was Sean couturier 7.5.

if we signed Bo for 7-7.5 his contract would have looked great just like the one he’s on now but we would have seen the value instantly. 

and still been moveable if he wanted a change if we were crashing and burning. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Huge ya the comp from their camp was Sean couturier 7.5.

if we signed Bo for 7-7.5 his contract would have looked great just like the one he’s on now but we would have seen the value instantly. 

and still been moveable if he wanted a change if we were crashing and burning. 

The Canucks fight is barely flying but I get it.  So far, with Aquaman as pilot, the airplane is on a nose dive but the party inside is on going...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

13 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Where do you see him landing?

I think Pittsburgh would be interesting, it's pretty close to where he grew up. He's supposedly got a home there, or at least this video says as much at the start. He also touches on growing up a Penguins fan at 10:50ish. https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-j-t-miller-family-becoming-social-media-stars-home/

Sending him home, or somewhere I could see him being okay with going, would help mitigate the optics of trading him shortly after signing him.

Obviously it'd involve taking some cap back but I could see something around Miller for Zucker or Rakell+? The caveat is the they have 10 and 8 team NTC's and we may be on them. Or we could get creative and retain half of JT's contract this year (I don't think we'd have to retain on the upcoming deal?) and swap him for saaaaay Brock McGinn+. McGinn comes in at 2.75M. Zucker's 5.5M comes off the books after this season, that combined with McGinn's 2.75M pays Miller. 

McGinn is signed for two more seasons but that's five fewer than seven. It'd give a Penguins team that likely wants to milk as much as it can out of Crosby, Malkin, and Letang some more scoring punch up front. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Kapanen + some mix of Pickering/Poulin/Blomqvist and a pick for Miller with whatever cap retained this year to make it work.

YES PLEASE.

Miller to Pittsburgh could work.  With 50% this year we could swap Miller for Kapanen and Pittsburgh could add their 2023 1st round pick and a prospect.  Pittsburgh should be all in the next 3 years with Crosby and Malkin and Miller can be their guy for the 4 years afterwards when they are rebuilding.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I have my doubts as well. 

I as well. With Bo gone, does EP really believe in the center depth here? Does Bo trade really make a big difference in what comes back? It's a mess and the result of trying to take short cuts for years. Just crap for young depth and ammo to buy what is needed. Not good.

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JR had no plans to rebuild in the summer, nor does he still have any plans to rebuild.  They wanted either Horvat or Miller done prior to the season, and they were able to get Miller done at the price they wanted.  Coming off a 99 point season they felt he had the higher value.  Horvat has muddled things up by having a career year that no one expected.  So now they are basically forced to trade him as they don't want to give him an 8x8 contract.  

They can still retool even with Miller on the team.  They need to trade BO, Boeser, Garland and either trade Pearson or Myers this summer or at next year's deadline.  That should free up $26 million in cap space.  The key is to get some younger players, prospects and not just have money in, money out.  That way they can be active in free agency next year and go after a guy like Artem Zub.  Jake Livingstone should be a no brainer as well, so that is 2 RHD right there.  I'd go after a guy like Cal Foote as well, as he might not be a fit in Tampa anymore.

the hard part was that mgmt was banking on Miller being a capable C.  Heck I was too thinking he could essentially take Bo’s spot.  Maybe he still can despite a pretty shaky start to this season. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller to Pittsburgh could work.  With 50% this year we could swap Miller for Kapanen and Pittsburgh could add their 2023 1st round pick and a prospect.  Pittsburgh should be all in the next 3 years with Crosby and Malkin and Miller can be their guy for the 4 years afterwards when they are rebuilding.

Burke & Hextall are in Pitsburgh and I am not sure Allvin can convince both.  

25 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

next season boston has over 26 mil in cap space.

Big chunk would be going to Pastrnak I would assume, then they have alot of holes to fill if Bergeron decides to hang em up. I dont think its over 26 they have. I believe its a little over 20. Correct me if Im wrong

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

Big chunk would be going to Pastrnak I would assume, then they have alot of holes to fill if Bergeron decides to hang em up. I dont think its over 26 they have. I believe its a little over 20. Correct me if Im wrong

Bruins rebuilding ? Let's see how Sweeney will do cause he really bombed his first draft, as GM.  Anyways, it will be interesting to see how Sweeney, will transition from the old core.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

To Pittsburgh: 

JT Miller 50% retained on this last year of his current contract. So coming in at 2.65M over the remainder of the current season.

Zucker's 5.5M comes off the books for the Penguins and boom, Miller's extension is taken care of.

To Vancouver

Brock McGinn, comes in at 2.75M for this season and the two following seasons.

1st round pick.

5.25M in cap space that opens up at the end of the season. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

I as well. With Bo gone, does EP really believe in the center depth here? Does Bo trade really make a big difference in what comes back? It's a mess and the result of trying to take short cuts for years. Just crap for young depth and ammo to buy what is needed. Not good.

Why would any single young impact player look at this team, management and ownership and think that they’ll be part of a championship team here? 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1