The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

1 hour ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

If Bo goes then management has definitely decided to tank this season and next. I wanted them to sign Miller, but if I knew we would only keep one of them it’s no contest at all, I’d choose Bo every single time and have traded Miller for the highest offer even if it wasn’t as much as they wanted. Offering him 7 is an insult. He’s playing better then Miller and they signed him to $8m per. That should be the bare minimum he’d accept. 50-60 goal scorers are rare and very pricy.

This new group is really starting to lose me. So many mistakes and assumptions that bit them in the ass. Maybe it’ll all work out fine in the end, but it’s a mess so far.

Love Bo, but this season will likely not match Millers point totals from last season, and Bo has never come close to 50/60 goals, much safer to assume this is an anomaly/ career year for him. He still may not even hit 40..

1 hour ago, Provost said:

The lack of the cap rising, though expected, is going to put a huge wrinkle in offloading players or getting value.

I was hoping that the league and NHLPA were going to come to an agreement to raise the cap more than $1 million this year so that it didn't jump by a huge number for 2024/25.  There were some talks they were going to try to even it out a little.  The revenue is such that the cap is probably going to go up by $8 million or even more that year, so agreeing to a $4 million raise each year instead lets teams and players plan better.

What it does mean is that trading players with term at the deadline next season is going to be a lot easier once teams have a sense of what the cap will be for the following year.  Unfortunately Horvat will be gone and Miller will have trade protection.

liam neeson i love when a plan comes together GIF

test crash GIF

39 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is a silly take, not only is there zero reason or motivation to do that from the team side there is no reason for the agent to agree to put his client into a bad position publicly where he has to be putting out statements and answering questions about it all the time.

They aren’t trying to purposefully create negative drama around the team, that is nonsense.

With Miller it was publicly stated by his agent and media that the Canucks blinked and raised their offer substantially at the last minute.  It is reported they got too worried about what would happen to the team if they lost both Miller and Horvat (possibly for nothing) when their contracts expired.  At the time they didn’t even know if they believed in Petterson as a centre, and kept saying he could fit in as a winger (where he played in the SHL).

Now, either Horvat doesn’t have interest in re-signing or his agent knows the Canucks will blink at whatever deadline is in place and raise their offer.  Ther id no pressure on the player at all, he is playing well and will undoubtedly be in demand as a UFA. 

Ha Ha Ha, I disagree!

1 hour ago, wildwood12 said:

Rutherford/Alvin: We are going to pretend we are not going to sign Horvat. Like we did with J.T.Miller. So we can play the media. Then we’ll come to an agreement.

Agent: O.K.

They will only play themselves.

Middling team forever and fans will be calling for their heads as early as next season.

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Why would any of those guys want to come to Van?

Could see Monahan wanting to stick it to Calgary 

not saying I want him or this or that but I could see him wanting to play here and I could also see him not wanting to play in Canada again and play somewhere quieter I don’t know

3 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I don't know what you would call it but Mgmt needs to sell hard this TDL. Keep the youth and dump anyone over 26 yoa that they can. 

Carolina has nine picks in the 2023 draft...crazy the difference between well run teams and poorly run teams (or good ownership and bad ownership)

Why wait till TDL?

Can't put most of your team up there all at once, with many other teams and get little return

Start to sell now, team will be weaker (better draft pick) get younger and optimism to grow

Can you imagine waiting til deadline to trade and Horvat or ? gets hurt and you have a Calgary situation where you overpay to keep or have a valuable asset walk for nothing

Start making changes in the new year is maybe the Canucks New Years Resolution? (of course with teams being capped and small cap increase and teams needing to resign their own players) the return will be less than in past years with probable cap retention :(

35 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Why wait till TDL?

Can't put most of your team up there all at once, with many other teams and get little return

Start to sell now, team will be weaker (better draft pick) get younger and optimism to grow

Can you imagine waiting til deadline to trade and Horvat or ? gets hurt and you have a Calgary situation where you overpay to keep or have a valuable asset walk for nothing

Start making changes in the new year is maybe the Canucks New Years Resolution? (of course with teams being capped and small cap increase and teams needing to resign their own players) the return will be less than in past years with probable cap retention :(

Yeah… while my ideal is that Horvat is back next year, I think it needs to be settled sooner than later. Make your best offer and then move forward. 

The Canucks have missed the playoffs 10/12 past years, YET, they have NEVER got a first round pick at the trade deadline. 
 Rutherford needs to sit Horvat and Schenn down, tell them he has every intention of resigning them in the offseason but it will help the TEAM to let them play for 3 months on a Stanley Cup contender.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

You guys think they’ll trade Miller?

I think they probably have to, but they won't be able to due to cap issues, and it's not just the Canucks right, other teams are having cap challenges as well. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

The Canucks have missed the playoffs 10/12 past years, YET, they have NEVER got a first round pick at the trade deadline. 
 Rutherford needs to sit Horvat and Schenn down, tell them he has every intention of resigning them in the offseason but it will help the TEAM to let them play for 3 months on a Stanley Cup contender.

Exactly, Sell ALL 3 of Horvat, Kuzmenko, Schenn at 2023 TDL gain a handful of good assets back and reload and hope the returns are wins for Vancouver. Can always bring back Schenn and maybe 1 of Bo or Kuz asa a UFA still...ala Antoine Vermette being traded from Arizona see below:

Vermette trade return when he was age 33 and netted a 1st round pick and prospect.

• 2015-Feb-28 Traded from Arizona Coyotes to Chicago Blackhawks for Klas Dahlbeck and round 1 pick in the 2015 draft (Nick Merkley)
  • 2015-Jul-01 Signed by Arizona Coyotes
Then Vermette re signed as a UFA with Arizona on a 2yr 7.5m deal with a NMC/NTC.

Note to consider: Vermette played 82 games in 2014/15 and had 13g 25a between both Arizona and Chicago for a total of 38pts for the season.

So that said above, we could net a nice return for Horvat at the TDL then offer him the JT 7yr 8m contract for him to comeback on July 1st. It would bring good assets to the Canucks helping the organization...man is that not a nice gesture by both Captain Bo and the team to offer him a contract like JT on July 1 2023!?!?