The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

14 minutes ago, Boknows08 said:

I could see Bo fitting their timeline if he signs long term. He’s just a year older than Larkin and Vrana. Also, Detroit signed Copp, Perron and Chariot in the summer. 

Im totally against trading Bo, would rather Miller, but if he’s unable to sign then something around Bo for Rasmussen and Lindstrom. 3c and rhd but Ras needs to get better at faceoffs. Management would rather retool and both of them are the same age range as Petey and Hughes. 

Larkin's a pending UFA, we'll see. Copp did get term, but they've gotta bring someone in to ice a team with, and having vets is helpful with a younger group. Copp is also from Michigan, he actually wants to be there. Perron is on a short term deal. Chiarot got medium length term, and again, they've gotta ice a team with someone. 

Detroit's a team that's mostly just been signing guys to short/medium term deals, they're still an NHL team and they want to have some semblance of trying to compete. I see them being a team that's probably got a few more years of pain though, and I'm not sure Bo really moves the needle on that. Yzerman didn't really inherit much. 

We'll see how they do this season but I've yet to see a team that looks like it's trying to take the next step. They've got Seider and Raymond going for them but they're gonna need more. I question whether they'll be able to retain Bertuzzi. 

Bo would be the easiest piece for them to trade, and in order for him to stay he'll actually need to want to. I question whether he does. I also question the market for Miller, and what such a move would look like. But yeah, absolutely, I'd totally keep Bo over Miller. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

CBJ is tied with Vancouver in the standings.  Vancouver sells because their season is going off the rails - why would CBJ buy at that kind of cost when they aren't doing any much better.

CBJ is still in their rebuild.  Gaudreau was simply an opportunity - like Panarin was when NYR signed him early in their own rebuild. 

It's also unlikely that Horvat would extend with them - his agent and himself has repeated that he wants to be in the playoffs and CBJ has some ways to go.  Kekaleinen has also said this off-season that he's not trading key young assets for win now players.  Johnson / Jiricek / Ceulemans and whichever other promising prospect they have are seen as key parts of their future.

Rutherford has said a few times now that people don't understand how long rebuild takes.  Doubt he expects that kind of return for Horvat - ie the return is going to be more modest than a high 1st/blue chip prospects re why a rebuild can be quite long.

CBJ has a good group of youth but they've also got Gaudreau, Laine, and a still effective Jenner. They've got some good young pieces up front and on D. They may be in a similar place to us but I reckon they're a team that'd like to actually try and take a step forward if they can. 

I could see them using a Horvat, dunno if he'd extend there though.

But I'll give you something to ponder, Miller's 8M is kicking in a season from now, CBJ still has Voracek on their roster this season and next for 8.25M. Miller would slot right in to that cap space and give them someone to throw between Gaudreau and Laine, and he's already signed to term. 

It'd be Voracek+ because Voracek would be taken back purely to make the cap work, I question what the + would be but who knows. 

We'd get assets, we'd free up 8M within a season or two, and Columbus would get a top six center to insulate their young centers with Jenner. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

bo is a stud, you don't give him away I think Edvinsson + Anton Johnansson is reasonable, neither are NHLers right now and Bo is the best player win the trade and likely will be, they could even add like adding Rasmussen of Veleno as they are both Cs and will playing behind Larkin and copy for years.

Can't see Detroit giving up the assets they went into a rebuild for.  

If the rumours of Detroit's interest are true - it's probably more Yzerman setting them up to sign him in free agency.  

Surely Yzerman knows that Horvat's team growing up was the Red Wings.  Seems smart to put it out there that they would be interested should he hit free agency - his side now knows they have that option.  

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

CBJ has a good group of youth but they've also got Gaudreau, Laine, and a still effective Jenner. They've got some good young pieces up front and on D. They may be in a similar place to us but I reckon they're a team that'd like to actually try and take a step forward if they can. 

I could see them using a Horvat, dunno if he'd extend there though.

But I'll give you something to ponder, Miller's 8M is kicking in a season from now, CBJ still has Voracek on their roster this season and next for 8.25M. Miller would slot right in to that cap space and give them someone to throw between Gaudreau and Laine, and he's already signed to term. 

It'd be Voracek+ because Voracek would be taken back purely to make the cap work, I question what the + would be but who knows. 

We'd get assets, we'd free up 8M within a season or two, and Columbus would get a top six center to insulate their young centers with Jenner. 

Could see them going after a stop-gap top-6 C but not Horvat or Miller.  Miller too old and too much term.  Horvat too expensive by trade + pending UFA.  Stop-gap to bridge to their prospects but not to box out or trade their top prospects.  Don't see either wanting to be in Columbus either with their contending timeline an unknown.  

Miller can't really play C effectively for Vancouver so don't really see why he would do any better in Columbus.  Gaudreau is also a play driver.  He wants the puck all the time.  Laine is the goal scorer.  Don't really see Miller as the kind of C to play them with.  Both Gaudreau and Laine are a bit questionable defensively but so is Miller.  Would think they need more of a safety net type of C - strong defensively, that can cover for them and get them the puck and stay mostly out of their way.

CBJ has defensive issues - their D-corps still needs work.  They also seem to have a speed issue.  CBJ didn't show up their last game vs NJD but they also couldn't skate with them.  Teams that can't find skating speed seem to be slipping.  

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Could see them going after a stop-gap top-6 C but not Horvat or Miller.  Miller too old and too much term.  Horvat too expensive by trade + pending UFA.  Stop-gap to bridge to their prospects but not to box out or trade their top prospects.  Don't see either wanting to be in Columbus either with their contending timeline an unknown.  

Miller can't really play C effectively for Vancouver so don't really see why he would do any better in Columbus.  Gaudreau is also a play driver.  He wants the puck all the time.  Laine is the goal scorer.  Don't really see Miller as the kind of C to play them with.  Both Gaudreau and Laine are a bit questionable defensively but so is Miller.  Would think they need more of a safety net type of C - strong defensively, that can cover for them and get them the puck and stay mostly out of their way.

CBJ has defensive issues - their D-corps still needs work.  They also seem to have a speed issue.  CBJ didn't show up their last game vs NJD but they also couldn't skate with them.  Teams that can't find skating speed seem to be slipping.  

A fair and thought out response, it was worth a shot. :P 

I could see Kings being a trade partner for either Horvat or Miller 

Don't know if they would consider trading Byfield but i would try for him, Durzi or Roy, prospect Ward Taylor and 1st rd pick top 10 protected 

That's the problem most teams will not trade good young players for older ones unless they are in the minors.That is ok cause we can use more and another 1st.Picks in the first to second if we rebuild we should get a couple more and some for two drafts from now.With those and ours plus prospects we should be good in three years instead of ten plus being bad.

I see Miller and Boeser being traded before Horvat. Bo would be a hot commodity if PA did want to move him. To me that would be the wrong move. That said we don't know what Horvat would think about a tear down if that was the plan. He might want to opt out. 

• Cheers 3

They screwed up when they resigned miller and then lowballed horvat. Horvats not taking a discount and he’s putting up numbers to prove they screwed up. 

he got miller going this year just like he got ep going last year 

one of our most consistent performers since he came into the league and the only guy on the team that can win a face off. 

hope they trade miller but feel like Bo Is the one leaving. 
miller terrible defensive play and an inept Centeman will be in full display once Bos gone.
Much like OEL Nucks will be looking for a way out of his contract in a year or two. 
mean while Bo will be thriving still and getting the respect he deserves… kinda like tanev. 

SELLTHETEAM 

Edited by combover

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Another Horvat goal and people on CDC still talking about trading him and keeping Miller and the albatross extension....

People talking about it because we've literally no choice now.  The greatest likelihood is Horvat traded or walking away for nothing and wouldn't that just be Canicks luck?

Trade items/picks/prospects this year to go all in.  Go on an extended run in january and then not trade or retain horvat and then still miss the playoffs by 5 points

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

People talking about it because we've literally no choice now.  The greatest likelihood is Horvat traded or walking away for nothing and wouldn't that just be Canicks luck?

Trade items/picks/prospects this year to go all in.  Go on an extended run in january and then not trade or retain horvat and then still miss the playoffs by 5 points

I just can't believe this management group is that dumb, or blind. If that happens I may never wipe this look off my face:

mefnirV.gif

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I see Miller and Boeser being traded before Horvat. Bo would be a hot commodity if PA did want to move him. To me that would be the wrong move. That said we don't know what Horvat would think about a tear down if that was the plan. He might want to opt out. 

I really cannot think of any team who would want to pick up the multi year contracts of Miller and Boeser.

Unless the Canucks are willing to add draft picks again, or retain salaries.

1 hour ago, The King of Kings said:

I really cannot think of any team who would want to pick up the multi year contracts of Miller and Boeser.

Unless the Canucks are willing to add draft picks again, or retain salaries.

Bruins probably would. They're gonna need a C soon. Can't really rely on 35+ Bergeron and Krejci. 

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Bruins probably would. They're gonna need a C soon. Can't really rely on 35+ Bergeron and Krejci. 

I've argued they could use a Miller, the counterargument is that Miller isn't a true center 

They could certainly use a Horvat if that's the case, so could Carolina given Staal's deal will be up.. 

If Bo keeps this up, and he's on fire, he might just price himself out of Vancouver 

On 11/2/2022 at 11:30 PM, Coconuts said:

Larkin's a pending UFA, we'll see. Copp did get term, but they've gotta bring someone in to ice a team with, and having vets is helpful with a younger group. Copp is also from Michigan, he actually wants to be there. Perron is on a short term deal. Chiarot got medium length term, and again, they've gotta ice a team with someone. 

Detroit's a team that's mostly just been signing guys to short/medium term deals, they're still an NHL team and they want to have some semblance of trying to compete. I see them being a team that's probably got a few more years of pain though, and I'm not sure Bo really moves the needle on that. Yzerman didn't really inherit much. 

We'll see how they do this season but I've yet to see a team that looks like it's trying to take the next step. They've got Seider and Raymond going for them but they're gonna need more. I question whether they'll be able to retain Bertuzzi. 

Bo would be the easiest piece for them to trade, and in order for him to stay he'll actually need to want to. I question whether he does. I also question the market for Miller, and what such a move would look like. But yeah, absolutely, I'd totally keep Bo over Miller. 

Me too. He had a strong game tonight. 

Miller had 1 goal in an 8 goal game. Petey had 5 frickin points. You know who we need to absolutely keep? That number 40 dude...

• Vintage 2

57 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I've argued they could use a Miller, the counterargument is that Miller isn't a true center 

They could certainly use a Horvat if that's the case, so could Carolina given Staal's deal will be up.. 

If Bo keeps this up, and he's on fire, he might just price himself out of Vancouver 

I think he already has to be honest. I'm preparing for him to leave Van....

I'm not hopeful that management can resign Bo to a value contract. And I don't see Bo wanting that badly to remain here.