The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

IMO I think we can do a "hockey trade" with another team desperate for a bonafide shutdown(ish) 2C with a wealth of dmen ala Johansen for Jones a few years ago. Joey was basically a 2C for CBJ at the time while Jonesy was a 2-3D for NSH with Webs and Josi. If we were able to pry someone like Trouba from NYR, Dumbs from MIN or even a Manson/Lindholm from ANH I would do it in a heartbeat. Especially if we were able to keep Millsy on a 4/5 x 6.5mil deal and make him our C. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

IMO I think we can do a "hockey trade" with another team desperate for a bonafide shutdown(ish) 2C with a wealth of dmen ala Johansen for Jones a few years ago. Joey was basically a 2C for CBJ at the time while Jonesy was a 2-3D for NSH with Webs and Josi. If we were able to pry someone like Trouba from NYR, Dumbs from MIN or even a Manson/Lindholm from ANH I would do it in a heartbeat. Especially if we were able to keep Millsy on a 4/5 x 6.5mil deal and make him our C. 

NOV19-We-Are-Laughing-Eyman.gif

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's the nice thing about Horvat. Either he signs for 5-6 years where we get all his 'prime' years before his 32-33 year old drop off at probably $6m-something, or he signs for max term where he's 'underpaid' through his prime and a touch 'overpaid' as the 3C he likely is by those last couple years (with rising cap to help compensate). 

THAT is why he's the guy to keep vs Miller.

Good point, we can still afford to build a competitive team around Horvat. He is what he is at this point so he comes with a way more cost controlled price. Especially with JR stating we want cap space. Horvat will give us that plus give us that much needed 2C match up center. I have not been on board with trading Miller but I’ve come around now on that and I understand he’s absolutely the best trade piece we have, and it allows JR to make one move that can put his stamp on this team as it’s likely there are at least 3-4 pieces coming back our way for him. 

Trading Miller allows us to make minimal moves so we don’t have to trade 2 or 3 guys to make a big change. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Soooooo I guess you are saying Bo is only worth a Rome or Vaananenn?. Your use of Ron Burgandy has kept me from being an ahole on my reply lol. "These are the 90s. Women can do things now!" Great movie ::D 

Bad trades, bad targets, hilariously laughable contract expectation for Miller.

200.gif

To me this comes down to Horvat (6-7M) or Miller (7-8M) because even though Petey hasn't been himself I think he's the other top 6 C.  Considering age, ability and likely the contract amount, I go with Bo and trade Miller in every circumstance.  I would be shocked to see anything different.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

To me this comes down to Horvat (6-7M) or Miller (7-8M) because even though Petey hasn't been himself I think he's the other top 6 C.  Considering age, ability and likely the contract amount, I go with Bo and trade Miller in every circumstance.  I would be shocked to see anything different.

Bang on Koby. Parting with Bo, unless he has told management he doesn't want to re-sign here, would be a huge mistake. He is a keeper, entering his prime. Captain material, playoff performer who can take the physical game, faceoff killer, media savy, seldom injured, age appropriate, and from all accounts bleeds Canucks Blue. You have to draft Bo's and they have to want to stay. You don't trade them, unless you have two of them. JT would of been an option to stay if he was younger, but he isnt. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Bang on Koby. Parting with Bo, unless he has told management he doesn't want to re-sign here, would be a huge mistake. He is a keeper, entering his prime. Captain material, playoff performer who can take the physical game, faceoff killer, media savy, seldom injured, age appropriate, and from all accounts bleeds Canucks Blue. You have to draft Bo's and they have to want to stay. You don't trade them, unless you have two of them. JT would of been an option to stay if he was younger, but he isnt. 

Agree about Horvat, heavily disagree about Miller. Apply what you said about Horvat to Miller and that’s Miller.

We have two of them.

We must keep them. 

46 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Agree about Horvat, heavily disagree about Miller. Apply what you said about Horvat to Miller and that’s Miller.

We have two of them.

We must keep them. 

Ultimately, depends on if they want to stay, and at what cost. It's a business in the end and these decisions go way beyond the talent. From a business perspective I would sign the younger of the two. In the end though, I very much doubt Miller wants to extend here beyond next year. 

4 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Miller's absolute sweetheart deal, which wouldnt come in Van, would likely start at $8.5m.  That's a deal he'd likely only take with a contender or a state with little to no income tax.

Imo, there is no number that's going to keep him in Van.  Horvat, I'd expect $7-7.5 over 6ish years probably

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

Miller's absolute sweetheart deal, which wouldnt come in Van, would likely start at $8.5m.  That's a deal he'd likely only take with a contender or a state with little to no income tax.

Imo, there is no number that's going to keep him in Van.  Horvat, I'd expect $7-7.5 over 6ish years probably

Yeah I agree and I would be shocked if Miller comes out and says I’ll do whatever it takes to be in Van.  Just don’t see it and the Canucks need more ELC pieces to try and build a true core.  Miller enables that so the writing is on the wall in my mind.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Yeah I agree and I would be shocked if Miller comes out and says I’ll do whatever it takes to be in Van.  Just don’t see it and the Canucks need more ELC pieces to try and build a true core.  Miller enables that so the writing is on the wall in my mind.

For me. The fact that Miller himself has not said that he wants to win here, is indication that he’s already looking to another city/organization/team to play for, or he’s already looking towards Free Agency in 1.5 years to go. He’s just going through the motions here in Van until he can get to free agency. If that’s true. Then he needs to be traded to the highest bidder. Nothing personal, JT. Just business.

Then I sign Bo to a long term deal, 8 years at 5.75M/6M.

• Cheers 1