The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

I find it funny that some folks here saying they should have traded Miller and signed Bo in the off season. JT was a 99 point guy who drove the play while Bo was nowhere near this productive as you see him this season. What happens if Bo struggles next year like JT is struggling this year? 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I find it funny that some folks here saying they should have traded Miller and signed Bo in the off season. JT was a 99 point guy who drove the play while Bo was nowhere near this productive as you see him this season. What happens if Bo struggles next year like JT is struggling this year? 

seems like those of us who were against it were right.  It was never about JT's ability (especially offense) it was about age, cap hit, contract length and timeline.  It was a terrible decision, catastrophic if they have to let Bo go

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Bo has all the power in negotiations. He can easily get back at management by telling other teams (unless they are contenders) that he will not sign with them...trade nixxed. Unfortunately contending teams won't want to move the assets that Van really needs to improve. 

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

They should have traded him as soon as his ask was beyond what they were willing to pay. 

They looked for trade options and balked at them which ultimately left them no choice but to re-sign him or let him walk.

That’s not good management. They’ve been chasing their decisions rather than having a strong direction.

With Miller gone there would have been more than enough cap to give Bo a fair contract around 7.5 mil. 

Now they’ve screwed up their cap structure and are gonna be forced to trade their captain. And the group will have even less leadership. I just hope they don’t dump that burden on Petey. 

• Cheers 1

Hate to say it, as i've like Bo ever since we drafted him, but trading him this year is the right call IMO for the following reasons

- He's the captain of a team with terrible on ice culture and consistency.

- He's a 50pt player who ironically has picked up his scoring pace just in time for a pay day - if he goes back to 22g - 50pts for the next 7 years at 8.5 were f**ked. Next years Horvat is likely this years Miller 

- He's not good defensively 

- He's usually a streaky scorer. 

- He's not really physical or drives the team forward. 

- The team is horribly unbalanced as is and needs a way to bring in some captial in the form of D, picks, Cap space.

- If we sign Bo at 8.5 - 9.5 then what does Petey get - it starts with a 1 at least.

Boston would be stupid to now want him mind, With the Boston bump he'll add that degree of compete to his game that's been missing here, and help them recover from losing Bergeron extending their compete window with the newer core.  Combo of Lysell, Carlo, 1st would do the Canucks a lot of good. 

Some other interesting trade options from NYI and Columbus too - We could come out of this a much better team if they can pull off a good deal here, bring in a solid 3C that can still win a face off at around 4-5M. 

Something needs to change - I can barely watch this team right now - were not gonna Raymond, Ballard and 1st our way outta the Benning hole.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

So who becomes captain? Petey or Miller.

Miller is not accountable enough and is too emotional.

Petey has enough responsibility on his shoulders. It would just become another Naslund situation where the burden is too much and eventually grinds him down.

So do we just leave no captain for years?

Will be too bad to see him go, but for the future of the franchise I believe it's the right move. I'm a fan of Bo and I'm glad I didn't buy a jersey before the season like I had planned given the recent news. 

Vancouver needs a culture change.

I would Still like to see Miller moved

• Upvote 1

Well, it's not sounding positive as of late. The thought of keeping Miller long term and moving Horvat just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It should be the other way around. The only thing I can think of that made them prioritize or decide JT over BO is the fact that JT is a more vocal leader and has but up the numbers but IMO Bo leads by example and can't be faulted in that. Maybe they put some of the blame over this core's performance on his leadership abilities? I don't know just speculating,

The Canucks can't complete with the other offers he'll get - it's a self induced problem but a problem nonetheless. His value is at an all time high, so the return will likely be very good but I don't want to see Bo go. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Petey has enough responsibility on his shoulders. It would just become another Naslund situation where the burden is too much and eventually grinds him down.

If we keep him, Schenn. 

Schenn also has some decent trade value right now, playoff bound teams will want him. 

I have no idea after JT and Schenn who would make any sense to be captain, maybe they go with no captain like some other teams have done.

Edited by Harold Drunken

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

If we keep him, Schenn. 

Schenn also has some decent trade value right now, playoff bound teams will want him. 

I have no idea after JT and Schenn who would make any sense to be captain, maybe they go with no captain like some other teams have done. 

OEL. Veteran who has been a C before and can handle the media. 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Definitely not Miller in any way shape or form.  I would only give it to Petey if it's important to him, otherwise I would look elsewhere as I agree it could be a burden.  Outside of that I think the only option is Schenn if we re-sign him which is a bad sign of the leadership of this team.  There is literally nobody else outside of Petey or Schenn that makes sense (OEL maybe, and that's a strong maybe).

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

If we keep him, Schenn. 

Schenn won’t be here long enough. He’s too close to the end of his career.

They’ll make it someone who is part of the long term future.

Based on history they’ll give it to the best player whether it’s a good idea or not. So it will more than likely be Pettersson. Hopefully he’s smart enough to turn it down.

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Based on history they’ll give it to the best player whether it’s a good idea or not. So it will more than likely be Pettersson. Hopefully he’s smart enough to turn it down.

We should be trading Schenn. Might be the last chance we can get something solid for him. He’s been amazing here and teams will pay for their cup runs 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

OEL trade and Miller contract, this was inevitable conclusion. 
‘Terrible management across two groups. 
If Bo goes then we should be looking at complete tear down as EP and Aman are our only NHL centres with nothing coming.  We should be looking at complete tear down anyway as Miller and OEL’s boat anchors will be dragging us down for years and we will need to be filling from the system which is currently almost empty because of two bad management groups. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I think the fact we are even having this conversation proves this team has a lack of leadership.

I could see Schenn for the reason how teaching and showing the young guys how to lead etc,. for a year or two. I believe Schenn will be dealt though.