The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

48 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Which is why we need to keep both. Trade boeser and garland. Who are Ufa dmen coming up we can spend that money on? 

IMHO the only untradeables are Demko and Hughes. Obviously some will return more than others and it is the final result that counts. Bottom line is that the NHL GM’s know Vancouver under Rutherford are open for business. Throw possible deals around until something sticks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Which is why we need to keep both. Trade boeser and garland. Who are Ufa dmen coming up we can spend that money on? 

In your plan, we're giving Miller a +/- $4m raise in a year (among others). We won't have money to spend on UFA D. 

So we don't have trade assets (preferably at least one ELC D) from trading Miller, and we don't have cap to replace Hamonic (expiring after next year) or Myers (year after).

Our right side is now Poolman, Woo and Juulsen and we have +/-$9m tied to a declining, 32 year old Miller who's declining down to a massively overpaid 3rd liner. Right when the young core is supposed to be peaking.

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

In your plan, we're giving Miller a +/- $4m raise in a year (among others). We won't have money to spend on UFA D. 

So we don't have trade assets (preferably at least one ELC D) from trading Miller, and we don't have cap to replace Hamonic (expiring after next year) or Myers (year after).

Our right side is now Poolman, Woo and Juulsen and we have +/-$9m tied to a declining, 32 year old Miller who's declining down to a massively overpaid 3rd liner. Right when the young core is supposed to be peaking.

I'd rather keep Miller for 8 than keep boeser for 7.5.

We don't know what Miller wants. But he's a keeper. 

Obviously if he wants to much money and to much term he has to go. 

Anybody is tradeable fir the right price....but I would prefer to keep players like jt and Bo if at all possible. 

• Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Anybody is tradeable fir the right price....but I would prefer to keep players like jt and Bo if at all possible. 

Boeser isn't going to be $7.5. And I'd not be surprised if we trade him too at some point. Miller would be more than $8.

And now you're paying more money to clinging to the already not good enough team we have. And it will actually get worse as we bleed depth and assets maintaining it, and as Miller declines. 

I notice you didn't address how you'd plan for fixing our major and obvious D issues.

5 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

is it hard to guess what JT would be wanting?? comparable centers are all making 8.5+ and comparable age centers are all signed to 7-8 years.. u ain't getting a miller for 8 and below.. he's going to walk all the way to UFA and not sign an extension here for anything less than 8.5+ on a 6-7 year contract minimum. 0 risk for him to not re-sign... he can say all the right things about wanting to play in vancouver blah blah blah but i can see him stall out the extension unless we give him the market price for a max contract.. vancouver aint' anywhere close to being a contender so there's no reason for him to take a discount playing in a canadian city.. it's a win win scenario for miller.. either he gets his max market money max contract... or he's going to be traded to a contender for a cup run and then get his max money contract in ufa.. the only loser in this is vancouver if he's held on past TDL this season. the asking price for Miller this year would be at least a 1st and a 1st rounder prospect + more depending on if they wanna retain.. as he'll be good for 2 playoff run for a contending team.. the asking price for miller next year?? you'll probably end up with a 1st and a nhl fringe player + maybe a prospect.. retained or not really makes no difference just wether the team can afford him or not at the tdl.. 

keep miller get rid of boeser.. so who the hell is miller playing with.. garland and pearson? that looks like a trash top line.. and if we also get rid of garland.. then what? hoglander? podz? EP replacing miller with boeser wont' be the end of the world.. garland who's subject to rumor being traded or podz replacing boeser on the top line?? ya we have a problem unless boeser or garland is getting you a top 6 rw back... coz podz would be #1 on the depth chart for rw.. u can force EP on there.. but he plays on the lw.. and there isn't much coming up in potential ufa that will help on the top line as a rw.. nichuskin is prolly the only one that is under 30 on the list that might work..

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

Boeser isn't going to be $7.5. And I'd not be surprised if we trade him too at some point. Miller would be more than $8.

And now you're paying more money to clinging to the already not good enough team we have. And it will actually get worse as we bleed depth and assets maintaining it, and as Miller declines. 

I notice you didn't address how you'd plan for fixing our major and obvious D issues.

I'm not sure how your aware Miller will get more than 8 but Boeser will get less than his QO. 

At any rate I have stated in my other posts that I would hope that our management team is attempting to speak to the Miller camp now (even though I know they cant extend him yet) and if they wont speak to us, or they just want to much then yes, we need to trade him.  But myself I would hope that we can retain Miller as these types of players are the kind you win with. Same for Bo. I had stated trading Boeser and Garland. Certainly if those players are traded it would bring us some assets back and free up some cap to solve our d problem. 

If Boeser and Pete were performing where we think they should be maybe I would be singing a different tune. But Im not sure where we would be without Miller right now. 

The problems this team has right now as I see are as follows.

Petersson and Boeser not meeting expectations.

Team toughness.  Id like a tougher team to play against. More physical forwards and another physical tough dman.

Another top 4 dman. 

Not enough prospects. 

Do you think we can get decent assets for Boeser and Garland? (if we did keep Miller and traded those two)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Boeser, not right now. Garland is cost controlled through his prime. Basically the opposite of the Miller situation where he's exiting his prime, and will cost twice as much.

We need players like Miller, just not 30+, soon to be declining, 3rd line, $9m dollar Miller.

Yup. Boeser is having the worst season, by far, of his NHL career. His points per game are lower than ever and he’s actually slightly negative value (-1 total GAR) on his analytics (this is being driven by an awful -3.7 GAR even strength offence). Definitely not a great time to trade him. Hopefully the silver lining is that his leverage will be weakened, when it comes to his extension, and he’ll come in at a lower AAV than expected.

Garland OTOH is signed to a favourable deal and has been the Canucks’ best player at 5v5 (IIRC he leads the team in all categories at evens). He’s also the team leader analytically, in terms of GAR/WAR (he’s ranked somewhere between McDavid and Draisaitl, and nearly double JT Miller, in leaguewide goals above replacement this season). Garland should yield an excellent return, if traded (although I’m leaning toward keeping him, unless the offers are too good to refuse).

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

On 2/5/2022 at 10:00 AM, Provost said:

It is the Canucks.  He will get a season ending injury before they pull the trigger on a trade.

We will then see a much lesser player from another team get the same return we have been talking about.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

On 2/5/2022 at 11:00 AM, Provost said:

It is the Canucks.  He will get a season ending injury before they pull the trigger on a trade.

We will then see a much lesser player from another team get the same return we have been talking about.

Nah, he is a Canucks captain which means that he will get to game 7 of the Cup Finals and ......cry.........:unsure:

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yup. Boeser is having the worst season, by far, of his NHL career. His points per game are lower than ever and he’s actually slightly negative value (-1 total GAR) on his analytics (this is being driven by an awful -3.7 GAR even strength offence). Definitely not a great time to trade him. Hopefully the silver lining is that his leverage will be weakened, when it comes to his extension, and he’ll come in at a lower AAV than expected.

Garland OTOH is signed to a favourable deal and has been the Canucks’ best player at 5v5 (IIRC he leads the team in all categories at evens). He’s also the team leader analytically, in terms of GAR/WAR (he’s ranked somewhere between McDavid and Draisaitl, and nearly double JT Miller, in leaguewide goals above replacement this season). Garland should yield an excellent return, if traded (although I’m leaning toward keeping him, unless the offers are too good to refuse).

Ditto. I advocated for trading Boeser last year when he came off a pretty decent season. Now is not the time to be trading Boeser when his value is so low. Re-sign him for 3 years at 6 million and hope he bounces back in one of those seasons and trade him.

And, trade MILLER!!!!

Edited by runtzguy

5 Potential Trades and Landing Spots for Vancouver Canucks Captain Bo Horvat

LYLE RICHARDSON
DECEMBER 07, 2021

The Vancouver Canucks' struggles this season led to stars such as J.T. Miller and Brock Boeser popping up in media trade speculation. Team captain Bo Horvatalso recently surfaced in the rumor mill. During a Nov. 25 appearance on Sportsnet 650, The Athletic's Rick Dhaliwal indicated (at the 23:50 point of the interview) that the bulk of the trade calls received by the Canucks involved Horvat.

It's understandable why Horvat is drawing attention. The 26-year-old is a superb two-way center who's strong on faceoffs, can play a gritty game and reached or exceeded 40 points five times in his eight NHL seasons.

Horvat would be a solid addition to any club. However, his style of play would likely draw more interest among playoff contenders looking to boost their depth at center with reasonably affordable talent. Horvat is signed through 2022-23 with a $5.5 million annual salary-cap hit with no trade protection.

It's unlikely the Canucks have immediate plans to shake up their roster after firing general manager Jim Benning and head coach Travis Green on Sunday. Director of Player Development Stan Smyl has taken over for Benning on an interim basis, and any significant player movement probably won't happen until the new GM has time to evaluate the roster.

The Canucks sit $3.6 million above this season's $81.5 million salary cap. They're allowed to do so because forwards Micheal Ferland and Brandon Sutter are on long-term injury reserve and are expected to be sidelined for the entire season. If they were to shop Horvat, he could net a first-round pick and a quality prospect.

25 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

5 Potential Trades and Landing Spots for Vancouver Canucks Captain Bo Horvat

LYLE RICHARDSON
DECEMBER 07, 2021

The Vancouver Canucks' struggles this season led to stars such as J.T. Miller and Brock Boeser popping up in media trade speculation. Team captain Bo Horvatalso recently surfaced in the rumor mill. During a Nov. 25 appearance on Sportsnet 650, The Athletic's Rick Dhaliwal indicated (at the 23:50 point of the interview) that the bulk of the trade calls received by the Canucks involved Horvat.

It's understandable why Horvat is drawing attention. The 26-year-old is a superb two-way center who's strong on faceoffs, can play a gritty game and reached or exceeded 40 points five times in his eight NHL seasons.

Horvat would be a solid addition to any club. However, his style of play would likely draw more interest among playoff contenders looking to boost their depth at center with reasonably affordable talent. Horvat is signed through 2022-23 with a $5.5 million annual salary-cap hit with no trade protection.

It's unlikely the Canucks have immediate plans to shake up their roster after firing general manager Jim Benning and head coach Travis Green on Sunday. Director of Player Development Stan Smyl has taken over for Benning on an interim basis, and any significant player movement probably won't happen until the new GM has time to evaluate the roster.

The Canucks sit $3.6 million above this season's $81.5 million salary cap. They're allowed to do so because forwards Micheal Ferland and Brandon Sutter are on long-term injury reserve and are expected to be sidelined for the entire season. If they were to shop Horvat, he could net a first-round pick and a quality prospect.

Lol. Trade Bo for a pick you hope becomes anywhere near Bo's caliber. "Could" net a first and a prospect. Lol. I'm sorry I ever clicked on this garbage article. You keep Bo, for his whole career hopefully. 

Edited by rekker
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I thought we had to pay him his qualifying offer of 7.5   ? Boeser. 

8 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I'm not sure how your aware Miller will get more than 8 but Boeser will get less than his QO. 

At any rate I have stated in my other posts that I would hope that our management team is attempting to speak to the Miller camp now (even though I know they cant extend him yet) and if they wont speak to us, or they just want to much then yes, we need to trade him.  But myself I would hope that we can retain Miller as these types of players are the kind you win with. Same for Bo. I had stated trading Boeser and Garland. Certainly if those players are traded it would bring us some assets back and free up some cap to solve our d problem. 

If Boeser and Pete were performing where we think they should be maybe I would be singing a different tune. But Im not sure where we would be without Miller right now. 

The problems this team has right now as I see are as follows.

Petersson and Boeser not meeting expectations.

Team toughness.  Id like a tougher team to play against. More physical forwards and another physical tough dman.

Another top 4 dman. 

Not enough prospects. 

Do you think we can get decent assets for Boeser and Garland? (if we did keep Miller and traded those two)

Miller is on a very similar ppg pace over the last 3 years as Tavares when we walked to FA in 19. Now, I'm not saying JT will be looking for 11 million a year, but I think him pushing 8.5-9 is being very reasonable. Hell, JTs last 3 years have actually been pretty much on par with Panarins before he walked to FA and got 11.6 million.

Again, I'm not saying Miller is in the same realm as these guys, but if he continues with his ppg pace, or maybe even elevates next year if he has better teammates, who's to say he can't be?

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Miller is on a very similar ppg pace over the last 3 years as Tavares when we walked to FA in 19. Now, I'm not saying JT will be looking for 11 million a year, but I think him pushing 8.5-9 is being very reasonable. Hell, JTs last 3 years have actually been pretty much on par with Panarins before he walked to FA and got 11.6 million.

Again, I'm not saying Miller is in the same realm as these guys, but if he continues with his ppg pace, or maybe even elevates next year if he has better teammates, who's to say he can't be?

he's pretty much on a same trajectory as zibanejid and he's signed to 8.5x8 and zibanejid is playing with a much better star playmaker in panarin so his stats is a bit inflated.. so i dunno where all these he will sign for 8 or below comes from

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

he's pretty much on a same trajectory as zibanejid and he's signed to 8.5x8 and zibanejid is playing with a much better star playmaker in panarin so his stats is a bit inflated.. so i dunno where all these he will sign for 8 or below comes from

You'd have to reckon that if we were to resign Miller this would be the absolute bare minimum contract he would be looking for. In my opinion Miller is the better player and could be asking for more.

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

I thought we had to pay him his qualifying offer of 7.5   ? Boeser. 

There a few scenarios

1) extend the qualifying offer.  Boeser signs it and then has the same option next season 

2) negotiate a longer term contract with Boeser at whatever cap hit/term he’s willing to sign for.  It can be less than his QO

3) take Boeser to arbitration.  Arbitrator can reduce his salary by a maximum of 15%.  Going through with arbitration generally damages the relationship with the player and is the beginning of the end for that player with the organization 

4) don’t qualify him. He becomes UFA and is free to sign anywhere. 

18 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

You'd have to reckon that if we were to resign Miller this would be the absolute bare minimum contract he would be looking for. In my opinion Miller is the better player and could be asking for more.

yup i figure it'll take like a 9mil max year contract just to keep him in a canadian city especially when this team isn't a contender status

• Cheers 1