The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

3 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

this team is run like a clown show. Instead of trading J.T Miller and getting what this team needs which is draft picks and prospects and younger players who could play right away we will be stuck with J.T Miller for the next 8 seasons. Instead the team basically has to trade Bo Horvat and won't get anywhere near what we should get in return because teams now know Vancouver has no options but to trade him

I will forgive them if we get Jiricek in a 1 for 1 swap 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

The Athletic says the offer was max term and just shy of $8M.  So not exactly $8M x 8yr as some posters have claimed.

Why not make it the $8M mark?  Pretty much says Canucks value you the same (or better) than Miller.

If a deal can’t be reached, I’d rather Canucks trade Bo sooner than later.  

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

The Athletic says the offer was max term and just shy of $8M.  So not exactly $8M x 8yr as some posters have claimed.

Why not make it the $8M mark?  Pretty much says Canucks value you the same (or better) than Miller.

The article says WELL shy of $8 million.

The same authors said the opening offers was less than what he makes now.

I am not even upset if they trade him… I am upset that they will stop there and then use the cap space to give a raise to Kuzmenko and we will have an even shittier roster and still be capped out.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Muttley said:

It could still change but I doubt it now. Being the Captain does weigh into the overall standard of what Bo brings to the team and has for a while now. I thought it

was seven point 4 or 5 but it doesn't really sound like there's a desire from either side to push to conclude the situation. Personally, I think he still has value here

but not if he doesn't want to sign long term...

So what did they say about Bear, Schenn and Buyouts??

7 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Why would they want to do it that way?

You can lose control over the situation

I think if you are the Canucks and team x is given permission to talk contract and they can’t strike a deal then those contract terms might get leaked and scare off other teams or at least alter negotiations

there’s probably more reasons as well…not that I necessarily agree but I can understand the thought process 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I'm guessing they floated the idea of buying out Pearson's last year. Would cost $916,000 for 2 years. Saves us 1.83 next season but costs us 0.916 in 2024-25.

None of the others make sense, would be cheaper cap wise to retain and trade over a buyout.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

So you think our owner was stupid for not trusting an unqualified clown who couldn't draft, made a ton of terrible trades, and created a mess so bad that Bill Torrey couldn't fix it to do a rebuild?  Gillis should have been fired on the spot the minute he even suggested that Luongo trade.  A GM with a functioning brain would have just used the compliance buyout.  No more dead cap after this season; let's learn from mistakes.

Given this ownership's reluctance to buy out contracts, I wouldn't be surprised if that option was presented to them but subsequently rejected.

4 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Would be funny if only now does Bo start getting put with the team's best wingers just so they can pump up his value.

He's been with JT Miller for quite awhile now.  I believe he would be considered the team's best winger.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Schenn.  They are leaning towards trading him but will likely circle back to him in free agency.  They note that his wife is pregnant with a due date near the TDL and the team will be mindful in finding a trade that works for all.

Bear.  He has a 2.2M qualifying offer and is arbitration eligible.  They think he is building a case where the arbitration award could be pretty hefty.  It's going to give him leverage in extension talks that could start sometime in February/March.

Buyouts.  The team is apparently willing to take an unbalanced return on Boeser, Myers, Garland and Pearson in an attempt to clear their cap space.  If they can't move out big contracts they could seriously consider buyouts.  They note that it's been a tough sell to get ownership to agree to buyouts though.

36 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Why would they want to do it that way?

They didn't give Miller permission either.  Pretty much takes out non-playoff teams or those on the bubble.  

They might feel that giving him permission to talk extension would give him leverage to dictate his destination and it could affect the return.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, BPA said:

If BO refused 8x8, or even 7.5x8 then I have no problem trading him.  Not worth it on a team that has major holes.  If they get an offer for Miller they should trade him too.  I'd rather just tank and go for either Bedard or Fantilli.  Short term pain for long term gain.  The New Jersey model is what I want.  They had alot of pain but have the best young team in the league now.

2 hours ago, mll said:

Dhaliwal/Drance speculate that Vancouver won't give his camp permission to talk extension and that he will be traded as a pure rental.  

This is the big reason we couldn't trade Miller, you just know this'll bite the team in the butt, not sure why they're playing this strategy...NYI would have snagged Miller for sure and gotten us a good haul if he could have negotiated contract terms with Miller's agent before a trade, instead we get lumped with him.

Surely trading Bo as just a rental is not going to net us much return. Seems like a stupid play.

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This is the big reason we couldn't trade Miller, you just know this'll bite the team in the butt, not sure why they're playing this strategy...NYI would have snagged Miller for sure and gotten us a good haul if he could have negotiated contract terms with Miller's agent before a trade, instead we get lumped with him.

Surely trading Bo as just a rental is not going to net us much return. Seems like a stupid play.

No I don't think that's true.  If you only trade with teams who are going to sign him long term, then you're limiting yourself to teams who have cap space.  If he's a rental, everybody who in the playoffs or chasing the playoffs are in play.  Making more of a bidding war for his services, especially if there is more buyers than sellers.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

If you look at the main teams who want a piece of Bo, we have to take cap back, not just now but teams will surely need 8-9M next year to re-sign him.

Colorado could make it work but we'd have to take back Girard (fine with that but where does another LD play on our roster), Erik Johnson as a cap dump (could maybe net us some more picks/prospects) or a forward like Nichushkin or Lehkonen who gives them too much value so I doubt they move. Johnson's a solid RD, plays 3rd pairing minutes, contract expires next year, would be purely a cap dump for us to acquire more picks/youth if we want a rebuild, if we want a re-tool, go for Girard and a 1st if we're lucky. Problem with Colorado is they have MacKinnon's monster deal kicking in next year so take a 6M cap hit on that. They have 10M coming off the books, plus the 5-6M they trade away to us, to re-sign Bo for 8-9M, but then also they'll have to fit in some tertiary forwards and Newhook. Can certainly make it happen though.

Boston certainly has scope to re-sign him with pretty much all their forwards off the books next year, so we'd just have to take 5M in cap space back now. Carlo coming back at 4M would be nice, if we want a pure re-tool we do Carlo + Nosek + 2nd round pick?

7 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

The Canucks fight is barely flying but I get it.  So far, with Aquaman as pilot, the airplane is on a nose dive but the party inside is on going...

This went over my head :rolleyes:

Edited by R3aL
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

He also brutally murdered any offensive play. 

Yes, there is a reson they were put against the best and killed them off so it worked both ways.

3 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Bo says he likes to play with anybody.  He's a team guy who won't throw his teammates under the bus.

Why would he throw Loui under the bus? 
Loui covered the defensive side.

Isn’t it better to try force the Flames to take Miller and Myers.

Backlund, Lucic, Kylington and their 1st unprotected back to us.

Backlund and Lucic is on their way out but can still make us tougher. Kylington may be a really good player.

The 1st can be really high if the Flames implode.