The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

3 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

If Ekblad is on the table, I'll drive Bo to the airport myself. 

Hughes - Ekblad

OEL - Bear

Dermott - Schenn

He's exactly the dman we've needed since forever.  Even Tampa thought of trading Hedman before he really put it all together in his late 20's and won 2 cups.  Now it seems crazy they ever thought of trading him.  

Doesn't Ekblad have a NMC?

27 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

IF the locker room rumours are true, they need to figure out that situation first before naming anyone new. IF Miller is the problem, handing him the C would make us even more of a joke.

I’ve been saying that for a year.  That needs to be job#$1, find out where the issue is and fix that first

Just now, stawns said:

I’ve been saying that for a year.  That needs to be job#$1, find out where the issue is and fix that first

Well, the issue has been around since March 2005, so once that is resolved then everything else can be fixed accordingly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jyu said:

I like Lundell. He'd could develop into a great two way centerman to play behind Petey.

But I would not trade Hughes for him.

If they are willing to take Miller, I'd do that. Florida is in a win now mode aren't they? Well, Miller is your win now player.

I'm not quite sold on Carlo but I'll admit that I barely watch the Bruins play. He's big but is he actually good? If he's actually good, why is he playing 3rd pairing minutes in Boston? 

If Miller got it done-signed sealed delivered. 

I figured with M Tkachuk/ Hughes friendship and FLA desire to maybe replace Weegar/play a high octane game Hughes would be high on their list. Maybe they add a bit more I dont know/Lundell will be a great 2C for sure.. Just trying to figure out how to replace Bo. Hughes for Hischier would be nice but would never happen despite NJD having all three Hughes bros.

I was just going off @Elias Petterssonproposal.   That would be a great get for a rental.. Carlo doesnt do anything extremely well-just well rounded.. Think Meyers without the inconsistency/bad turnovers.

3 hours ago, rekker said:

I would prefer something around Noah Dobson for Hughes. Islanders need scoring, we need a stud right side D. Then keep Rathbone to help push the offence from the back end. 

Id consider that as well if you think Rathbone can play.  I was more or less just looking at the gaping hole at 2C / trying to balance the back end. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think it is Miller who will be moved. Move him and resign Bo. Move Miller, Boeser, Garland and Meyers. Look at what comes back and then re-assess. These trades are more likely to happen Feb/March than before X-Mass. Recognize that the season is toast. Making playoffs with this group is a much lower priority than making trades for future benefit. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Lets say this happen. Would u do:

to FLA

Hughes

to VAN

Lundell 

Lundell takes 2C vacancy w/ Miller and Lysell on his wing.  Or Podz or Hoagie.

Then u try to trade for or sign a UFA LD (Meyers MUST be moved after his signing bonus) like Graves, Orlov, etc. (open to ideas).

Your top 4 D

xxx Carlo

OEL Bear

OEL assumes PP1 Bear PP2. 

Canucks lose Bo and Hughes but gain their 2C and the defence becomes a bit more balanced.  OEL is good enough to still be an effective PP1 player.

And if they get say Trotz or someone a bit more defensively minded……

I wouldn’t trade Hughes straight up for Lindell.  Not enough IMO.  I’d got hard after Artem Zub and partner him with Hughes and have Carlo with OEL.  Sign Livingstone as a free agent and all of a sudden we have a new right side defence.

I would just play Miller at 2C and get him the linemates he needs to be successful.  Lysell would be a dream and Podkolzin eventually will get there too. Miller and Podkolzin had great chemistry last year. 

We can get a 3C in free agency. 

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think it is Miller who will be moved. Move him and resign Bo. Move Miller, Boeser, Garland and Meyers. Look at what comes back and then re-assess. These trades are more likely to happen Feb/March than before X-Mass. Recognize that the season is toast. Making playoffs with this group is a much lower priority than making trades for future benefit. 

I think Bo has priced himself out of a job here. Obviously he isn't going to do what Miller did and leave money on the table on a new contract. He is looking for the big payday.

3 hours ago, Strawbone said:

What we're going through right now is worse than a rebuild though. It's insane.

Mediocrity is enough for some it would seem. 

43 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I sincerely believe Miller is the worst option for C on this team. 

Agreed. If Bo goes they should just run 3-4 A's. There's no need to immediately thrust it onto Pettersson or Hughes. 

24 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think Bo has priced himself out of a job here. Obviously he isn't going to do what Miller did and leave money on the table on a new contract. He is looking for the big payday.

Lot of money opens up if Miller goes.

Bo is a legit 2C, Pettersson looks like a 1C. Miller's a liability at center, a double edged sword as a player, and he'll likely hurt the team more as he ages and inevitably loses speed. Bo's no Selke caliber center but at least you don't have to shelter him. 

If the idea is to compete sooner than later a Pettersson/Bo combo seems much more appealing to me than a Pettersson/Miller combo, even if you have to overpay Bo a little. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Mediocrity is enough for some it would seem. 

Agreed. If Bo goes they should just run 3-4 A's. There's no need to immediately thrust it onto Pettersson or Hughes. 

Lot of money opens up if Miller goes.

Bo is a legit 2C, Pettersson looks like a 1C. Miller's a liability at center, a double edged sword as a player, and he'll likely hurt the team more as he ages and inevitably loses speed. Bo's no Selke caliber center but at least you don't have to shelter him. 

Like I said , Bo has priced himself out of a job. He is not worth what he is asking for and if we are building a winning team you can't over pay for a players services. Whether you like Miller or not, at least his price tag is comparable to what he brings to the table. Ideally, moving on from both of them would be the right thing to do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Like I said , Bo has priced himself out of a job. He is not worth what he is asking for and if we are building a winning team you can't over pay for a players services. Whether you like Miller or not, at least his price tag is comparable to what he brings to the table. Ideally, moving on from both of them would be the right thing to do.

Maybe, maybe not. A Miller trade would create a lot of flex though, I'd be fine overpaying Bo by a smidge if that's what it took. 7.5-8M for 7-8 years wouldn't bother me, I was willing to pay him 7M easy back in September when folks were droning on about how he shouldn't make more than Boeser. 

I'd rather overpay a little for a legit 2C than a top six winger. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

Exactly, I don't even need to know if the "locker room rumours" are true or not.  I see enough watching him on the ice to know that he's not captain material.  He's the only guy who stands out to me during the game as being lazy, moody and careless on the ice on a regular basis. 

Love his physical skills and talent, but not a born leader by any means.

I remember in the off season, he said he realized he had issues to work on that he would improve on them. I am not seeing it. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, maybe not. A Miller trade would create a lot of flex though, I'd be fine overpaying Bo by a smidge if that's what it took. 7.5-8M for 7-8 years wouldn't bother me, I was willing to pay him 7M easy back in September when folks were droning on about he he shouldn't make more than Boeser. 

I think what has jacked up his price tag is his recent scoring prowess. Is that sustainable? He is no sniper he just seemed to take a little more effort this year getting into those "dirty areas" which I wonder why he never did in years past. 

I used to scream at the TV for someone to screen the goalie, now players like Bo and Boeser are doing it on a regular basis. Where was that in years past?

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think what has jacked up his price tag is his recent scoring prowess. Is that sustainable? He is no sniper he just seemed to take a little more effort this year getting into those "dirty areas" which I wonder why he never did in years past. 

I used to scream at the TV for someone to screen the goalie, now players like Bo and Boeser are doing it on a regular basis. Where was that in years past?

Hard to say, he was scoring like this during the second half of last season though. It's not just a this season thing.

He's also been on pace for 25+ goals over 82 games the five previous seasons. It's not as if he wasn't a scoring threat beforehand. 

https://www.quanthockey.com/hockey-stats/en/profile.php?player=23493

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bo Horvat’s career face-off percentage is 53.8%. JT Miller’s career face-off percentage is 52.6%. So you replace Horvat with Miller as your 2C. It’s pretty simple Wai.

3C’s aren’t difficult to get. There were several available in free agency last year. I’m pretty sure you can get a 3C in any Horvat trade regardless. 

Not sure why you are acting like Horvat is Pavel Bure or Trevor Linden. He’s not. If those guys can get traded then so can Horvat. We survived the first 45 years of our existence without BO. We will manage for the next 45 years. 

My obsession with Miller?  There are literally posters on here who are saying that if we trade Horvat we are doomed forever. Lol. 

Nils Aman was sporting a 46% average 2 weeks ago,  and that’s with only roughly 25 NHL games in his career.   Yes he is presently on the 3 / 4 line,  but that also means he is facing some good centers on those roll over icing calls.

You CAN train a player  to specialize in a certain type of situation.

Bo is an example of that .

It can be recreated.

I also think that as well as Aman,  receiving the same specialized training as Bo did with Malhotra, ..  that Dries, Lazar ,Joshua , and Strudnicka should all be getting that extra curriculum.

Lazar was a +50 FO % with the Sabres for 2 seasons 19/20.  20/21.

If we’re so worried about face off percentage the org should be specializing in that training.

Perhaps we already are ,  but it dosent get the notoriety because Malhotra is a fan fave like Bo is lol.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wouldn’t trade Hughes straight up for Lindell.  Not enough IMO.  I’d got hard after Artem Zub and partner him with Hughes and have Carlo with OEL.  Sign Livingstone as a free agent and all of a sudden we have a new right side defence.

I would just play Miller at 2C and get him the linemates he needs to be successful.  Lysell would be a dream and Podkolzin eventually will get there too. Miller and Podkolzin had great chemistry last year. 

We can get a 3C in free agency. 

maybe with a new coaching staff in place perhaps Miller can play 2C.  It’s baffling how errant he can be at times because he is just too good of a player to not be consistent.   Maybe this is just a low point for him and he will bounce back (that would be good).

I like Zub as well.  If Miller can play 2C then it works.

FLA would probably add a bit but Lundell is gonna be a bonafide top C in this league.  I doubt they even consider moving him anyways.  

Aman is gonna be 3C book it.  Just get at least one of Garland/Boeser (pref Boeser) off his wing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1