The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

19 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I'd aim for Aatu Raty as the top prospect we can get back. (as the article suggests) that wouldn't be a bad return

I think you’re agreeing with me? And adding Raty ?

Pageau has been stellar for the Islanders:

https://nyihockeynow.com/rosner-jean-gabriel-pageaus-defensive-game-face-off-ability-has-been-heroic/

FO percentage:

57300529-02F6-4C91-AF59-1E7261B43CD5.thumb.jpeg.d3994e52797469b9ebcda45731d42074.jpeg

as the article states :

The Islanders penalty kill, which has been a saving grace so far this season, has allowed just four goals on 42 opportunities, suitable for a 90.47 penalty-kill percentage.

Pageau’s ability to win face-offs is a big reason for their success. He’s won 54.4 percent of his penalty-kill face-offs.

On the power play, Pageau’s won 60 percent of his draws, which includes his face-off win that eventually led to Noah Dobson’s overtime-winning tally Monday night.

Romanov is still “developing “ but is an NHL ‘r , and should be a main stay top 2 man inside of 2 years with the right opportunities.

Very Physical , well positioned, very heavy / hard shot.  Smart.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, EP Phone Home said:

And the run it back method keeps on keeping on!

71FAFD90-CC2C-4988-A41F-17F6C3F89168.gif

At some point our owner can’t fire every manager who tells him the “R” would, right?  It’s been how many now who he’s turfed that disagree with him?  Nonis.  Gillis.  Linden.  Benning got 8 years because he unquestionably followed the owner’s direction, and look where that got us?  Hopefully JR tells this owner what’s best and the owner actually allows it to happen.  Because right now it’s as you say.  Same craperolla direction. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Straight up, I'm not sold on Bo being traded, He got a low ball offer, Management knows they did him dirty but I think they will figure something out. Bo's desire is to play in Vancouver and he's expressed it many times.

If one manager phones and offers the

24-28 year old C and D JR wants then Bo is gone. 

• There it is 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If one manager phones and offers the

24-28 year old C and D JR wants then Bo is gone. 

Think it would have already happened, I'm sure teams would be rushing to get him. Also I think many GMs don't want to fork up too much for a rental, Kind of what happened with JT.

I am a bit saddened to hear the team wants players/prospects back in return for Bo.

It looks like they have forgotten it is possible to take draft picks from other teams, then trade those picks for  'now' players.

Nothing preventing a trade, then a trade.

E.G.

Bo goes to the Rangers for a first, a player, and a prospect.

that first and a b level guy get traded to Arizona for Chychrun.

Only taking players back will really limit the opportunity, and value coming back.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

this has been our owner's direction to his management since he bought the club.  Many of us want to see trades for futures, because (like the article suggests) those futures tend to have a higher ceiling than getting guys already close to or at their ceilings.  But futures (even though they likely make us better than we are now and better than getting more established players, are what our owner wants.  So, we spin our wheels.  Frustrating for sure.  But Gillis was able to follow that direction (from our owner) and build a Cup contender.  Even if it works though, the window for winning is very short.  

Frankly it is worse than that.

Aquilini didn’t get full ownership until 2007.

Gillis was able to be successful because all the years of rebuilding and drafting had already happened before Aquilini got to make the final say in decisions.  

I am not blaming Gillis as he turned an amazing young core of players into one of the best teams in the league.  I am pointing out that the Aquilini plan has never worked out as you suggest it did.

Basically since he took over we rode the prior rebuild and existing pipeline of high end prospects from 2007-2011 and then it has been downhill his entire ownership.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I think you’re agreeing with me? And adding Raty ?

Pageau has been stellar for the Islanders:

https://nyihockeynow.com/rosner-jean-gabriel-pageaus-defensive-game-face-off-ability-has-been-heroic/

FO percentage:

57300529-02F6-4C91-AF59-1E7261B43CD5.thumb.jpeg.d3994e52797469b9ebcda45731d42074.jpeg

as the article states :

The Islanders penalty kill, which has been a saving grace so far this season, has allowed just four goals on 42 opportunities, suitable for a 90.47 penalty-kill percentage.

Pageau’s ability to win face-offs is a big reason for their success. He’s won 54.4 percent of his penalty-kill face-offs.

On the power play, Pageau’s won 60 percent of his draws, which includes his face-off win that eventually led to Noah Dobson’s overtime-winning tally Monday night.

Romanov is still “developing “ but is an NHL ‘r , and should be a main stay top 2 man inside of 2 years with the right opportunities.

Very Physical , well positioned, very heavy / hard shot.  Smart.

As long as we get Raty sure! haha

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

At some point our owner can’t fire every manager who tells him the “R” would, right?  It’s been how many now who he’s turfed that disagree with him?  Nonis.  Gillis.  Linden.  Benning got 8 years because he unquestionably followed the owner’s direction, and look where that got us?  Hopefully JR tells this owner what’s best and the owner actually allows it to happen.  Because right now it’s as you say.  Same craperolla direction. 

He'll pull a Jerry Jones.

Ill Do It Myself GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

50 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Think it would have already happened, I'm sure teams would be rushing to get him. Also I think many GMs don't want to fork up too much for a rental, Kind of what happened with JT.

That’s my point.  Bo is one phone call from being traded.  

Yesterday, someone reported the Canucks are unwilling to package their 1st, and are looking to recoup the 2nd. If both reports are true, then it’s what we all expected re. retooling on the fly, while also getting younger, and restocking the cupboards (thank goodness)

sounds reasonable to me. With Petey and Hughes at 23/24, we need to surround them with ‘twenty something’ players and prospects. Anyone younger/older won’t be contributing in their prime.

With trades being harder to make, I can see them trying too hard to make each deal perfect, vs, acquiring the best possible asset value.

3 hours ago, Provost said:

I am not sure they realize that picks and prospects can also be used as currency.  So can cap space so you can grab some unqualified RFA who is young and decent but not worth their QO.  You don't have to get exactly what you want in each trade, and can build a pool of assets to give you flexibility instead.

This is how they managed to somehow not find a suitor for a guy who was top 10 in scoring last year playing a premium position on a remarkably team friendly contract.

Well said

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

#1, That's not even close to the overall return we should be looking for on Horvat, even without throwing in Schenn.

And then you say...

To Van:

Carlo

Nosek

1st 2022

To Boston

Horvat

Schenn

4th 2022 (from Rangers)

30yr old Nosek (does he even play C?) + Carlo + 25-30th pick for Bo + Schenn is a horrible trade.

If both teams want to make the trade, they will find a way to do it.  In this case, the Bruins are over by $2.25m.

This why it's important to wait until late Jan or early Feb to do the trade.  Boston has several UFAs that they

could trade before TDL (Zacha is playing well this season), or maybe Van retains a portion of Bo's salary $1m

so the Bruins can waive one of their players with a lower cap.  Hell, if they really want the trade bad enough

they could put Nosek on waivers.  That's a cheap pick up for a depth player.

This would be a trade that would be good for both teams.  Bo is the C that Boston needs going forward and

Shenn is a good fill in for Carlo.  Both players are the kind of guys a team wants during playoffs.

for both teams.

• Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

My mistake, thought she was from here.

The Bo’s just bought a house here (went from a local townhome) and have two kids both born here.  Mom’s usually don’t want to move their nests.  Very doubtful Bo’s wife wants to uproot her young family.  She, IMHAO, wants her husband to sign here long term.  The worry for her must be that one phone call where another GM offers what we can’t refuse.  But maybe JR has promised Bo he’d give him the chance to extend in that situation before he accepts the deal?

44 minutes ago, Provost said:

Frankly it is worse than that.

Aquilini didn’t get full ownership until 2007.

Gillis was able to be successful because all the years of rebuilding and drafting had already happened before Aquilini got to make the final say in decisions.  

I am not blaming Gillis as he turned an amazing young core of players into one of the best teams in the league.  I am pointing out that the Aquilini plan has never worked out as you suggest it did.

Basically since he took over we rode the prior rebuild and existing pipeline of high end prospects from 2007-2011 and then it has been downhill his entire ownership.

What high end prospects from 2007?

Gillis took over on April 23, 2008.

Patrick White? Who was flipped to help a cap crunched San Jose for Errorhof, which was Gillis' best move?

Taylor Ellington?

2007 was one of the worst draft years the Canucks ever had.

Not a single player drafted played one NHL game.

2010 we had 1 player play 1 NHL game. Alex Friesen.

Gillis was good at managing the cap. And keeping players happy.

But drafting and developing. Not so much

In fact the team as a whole has a very poor record of drafting. With a lot more misses than hits.

• Vintage 2

Does anyone think that Bo teamed with JTM can continue this kind of success into future years? Or is this just a contract year bump?

because if a sufficient trade doesn’t materialize, then perhaps we go all in on this group (again) with an improved top 6  and do everything possible in offseason to rebuild D.

I’m on team rebuild, but with FA is owner I’m also resigned to the fact that we will continue to witness the status quo until it falls apart further on its own and there is no other option than to rebuild from the bottom up.

If we sign Bo, we need to absolutely gut the D and start over. We have enough cheap pieces to flesh out our 3rd/4th lines with possibility to tweak and bring in defensive minded forwards who excel in that capacity…ideally a couple more Lazar types. 

But this D needs to aborted at all costs.

Im even concerned about our future in net. I think it’s time to also look for another mid level tender that can pace Silovs and could indeed be a solid tandem with Martin should Demko’s hips (heaven forbid) really begin to deteriorate.

• Like 2