The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You don’t start negotiations with your final offer.

I’m sure they’re just being patient and letting the other side feel some pressure. 

One phone call could change everything just like with Miller and how they weren’t close like a week before.

Ya I get that but the first offer shouldn’t be that low 

Jackets don't have much for Cs (yet, until Johnson and Sillinger mature).  Lil Johnny and Laine might want a better C to play with. 

to CBJ - (C) Horvat

to VAN - (C) Jenner and (RD) Peeke

captain for captain

Miller

Pettersson

Jenner

Hughes - Peeke

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

7 mil x 8 years is what I’m hoping to see Bo sign for.  Same total dollars as Miller.

If JR/PA thought that 7x8 was value for Bo, shouldn't he be signed by now?

Maybe Bo wants more, who knows, but why have a pissing contest, to the last minute if he's the revered captain? Why would they wait so long? Unless perhaps they (FA/JR/PA) have an internal "hard" number that is much less, and one that they will not divert from?

I too am curious to see who is deployed with Bo to start the year. Wondering if Bruce will split up Pearson and Bo who do seem to play well together. Lots of options to tinker with for Bruce.

If Bo and his camp ask for an amount the team is unwilling to go with, I hope we could pull something off to send Bo to Boston. Yes the brought back Bergeron and Krejci for this season but if they hope to convince Pasta to stay, a true succession plan at C could be required and Zacha is not a top 6 C in this league.

My proposal below. Both team address a huge need and get signifcant upgrades at the positions of C and RD.

To Bos: Horvat + Poolman

To Van: Carlo + Lysell 

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

7 mil x 8 years is what I’m hoping to see Bo sign for.  Same total dollars as Miller.

That honestly seems like the easy out for everyone.  Same total dollars, has to play an extra year, and less likely to have anchor years at the end due to being a couple years younger.

Hoping closer to $6.5 million… but I would rather see it done before the season starts.  I think Boudreau tries to spread the scoring and lines out and Bo anchors the 3rd line.  I don’t want any worry about him unsigned getting annoyed at feeling buried behind two other centres.

While I think trading Horvat is a bad idea, I do agree with some here saying he isn’t a great captain.  
Bo is way too passive and soft to be a great captain.   
People will say ‘bbbbbut the Sedin’s……’

The Sedin’s were the cover boys for the most embarrassing beat down ever.  
Watching Marchand rabbit punch Sedin was the lowest point I’ve felts as a Canuck, and I remember the 90s.  Lol.  

That isn’t how I want a team to be lead. 

I want a leader who will punch back when it’s called for.  
One who would never do a skate by when a teammate needed help.  

Bo is a pussy cat. 
He is a solid player, and with better line mates I’d bet he produces even more, but he shouldnt be captain IMO. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

That honestly seems like the easy out for everyone.  Same total dollars, has to play an extra year, and less likely to have anchor years at the end due to being a couple years younger.

Hoping closer to $6.5 million… but I would rather see it done before the season starts.  I think Boudreau tries to spread the scoring and lines out and Bo anchors the 3rd line.  I don’t want any worry about him unsigned getting annoyed at feeling buried behind two other centres.

I don't think Bo's signing for 6.5M. 

He's probably signing at least 7M. I can see him getting 7.5-7.75M, just a shade under Miller's contract. 

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

While I think trading Horvat is a bad idea, I do agree with some here saying he isn’t a great captain.  

Watching Marchand rabbit punch Sedin was the lowest point I’ve felts as a Canuck, and I remember the 90s.  Lol.  

Bo is a pussy cat. 
He is a solid player, and with better line mates I’d bet he produces even more, but he shouldnt be captain IMO. 

He should be imo as yes a bit silent but so has and are many other captains.I would put him top ten the Canucks have had closer to the 5 spot.One captain people like was Naslund and you look at his interview he would look frustrated and sad looking away from the camera.Bo NEVER does that.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

Bo is a pussy cat. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Deals are always thought of as in total dollars.   So absolutely the last year adds value.   It's not a massive advantage, but it is one, teams that own rights use all the time.    One thing you aren't taking into consideration, is again next off season, flat cap.  It's only going up one million.   And as of right now OTT is off the market for teams with available cap space ... who's actually left ... ARI and Seattle.    Do you really think Bo wants to go there?  If he does he's for sure OK with not winning and see you later.    Enjoy the no/low state tax.  

Stamkos did this.  He signed a deal that was virtually identical, take home pay wise, with that extra year, if he instead went to TO and what they offered him.   Tavares did too.   Got the same over 7 years, as to what NYI offered him over 8, actually less ... those fans hate him for that ... Those are the two best UFAs to hit the market the last couple decades.  Both former first overalls, each took a different route but each also was paid what they'd get if they went or if they stayed. 

Please extrapolate, as to who these "many teams" are that are going to offer Horvat 7.5 x 7.   Im curious as to whom your think will make the room for him.  PHI maybe.   Good luck with two second line centers.   And why would Horvat go there, just to make 52.5 instead of 52 overall?  

And BTW, there are several articles about how Stamkos didn't take a "team friendly deal".   It seemed like one ... until you actually work with net pay.   And even if you added say 4 million for the 8th season, it still worked out the same in TB. 

In a normal environment i'd tend to agree with you, there could be a bidding war and maybe if it got to 7.5 x 8, that would be the winner.   Horvat isn't worth that though is he.   Not really.  7 x 8 makes a lot of sense.   But even that isn't a discount either.   He's not following suit with Miller.   6.5 x 8 is 52 overall.   7.5 x 7 is 52.5 plus whatever he could make ... maybe 3 after for one year if he wants with cap going up.   

I don't think he's going to have the normal amount of suitors.   ARI and maybe Seattle too will end up taking on one bad contract to accelerate their future.   There are 100 or so as of right now in the league.   And only 2 spots.   So maybe that makes a market of 4-6 teams including us, going after Horvat.

He simply hasn't earned much more then 6 so far.   Get he's a UFA.   But that's the reality.   

we are talking about year UFA.. there's plenty of time between now and then especially at the draft for teams to make room. 

carolina will need a staal replacement. boston will need a bergeron replacement. you don't think example these 2 teams would be very interested if horvat makes it to ufa? washington possibly will need a replacement if backstrom is done. there's quite a few teams can make it work with horvat depending on what their plan is either declare their rebuild is over or want 1 last kick at the can with their group.. 

sure he hasn't earned much more than 6 so far.. but that's not how ufa works now is it?? what have Mikheyev done to earn 4.75? literally nothing 1 good season of 20+ goal and 30+ points. if a 3rd line 20+ goals 30+ points going to get u almost 5mil.. then Horvat's camp is easily going to be looking at 7 for a 2nd line tough min munching faceoff machine that can put up 30+ goals and 50-60 points. that's just the reality.. if the offers are in the 5s and low 6s.. there's really no reason for him to take it as he can easily get more in the UFA market.. you can spin it however way u want no team have cap blah blah blah.. every year we say teams don't have cap and yet the big ufa players get signed to the big contract.. every year there's a team or 2 that suprises and come out of their rebuild earlier than expected.

good luck trading horvat for a pick and a prospect at the deadline and think this team can just casually replace him in the next 3-4 season while we still have a prime miller.. and find a capable 2c/3c that's able to take all the tough matchup and the 1600+ faceoffs.. coz u ain't putting a miller or EP in that role to hamper their offense.. and at the same time the 3c u replace him with better be capable of some offense.. otherwise whats the point of all these offensive players in your top 9 if your center don't have any offense in them.