The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks for Kids Fund Receives $50,000 Gift from Elias Pettersson

Rate this topic

The Arrogant Worms

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Thank you for your 0.68% of one of your year’s salary Pettersson. 

Very generous.

Its like someone who makes 100k a year donated $680 and told the world about it. Whoo hooo

it’s quite tasteless to share that kind of news. I’ll have to write the paper and tweet out every time I donate money…

The Sedins donated millions and asked to remain anonymous… 

Some kind of pr bull$&!# if you ask me… Id like to hear that Pettersson donated 5 Million of his salary this year. Because he’s playing like hes being paid less than $2.5 million. 

• Vintage 2
  • RoughGame 3

3 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

Its like someone who makes 100k a year donated $680 and told the world about it. Whoo hooo

it’s quite tasteless to share that kind of news. I’ll have to write the paper and tweet out every time I donate money…

The Sedins donated millions and asked to remain anonymous… 

Some kind of pr bull$&!# if you ask me… Id like to hear that Pettersson donated 5 Million of his salary this year. Because he’s playing like hes being paid less than $2.5 million. 

What is the problem with Petey giving away $50.000? The Charity seems to be overwhelmed by the biggest single contribution ever.

Sedins donated Millions, when they were financial secure. What if Petey breaks a leg tomorrow, and won't be able to skate again?

On top of this, who knows what Petey actually gives away? Pettersson also supports the CFKF through his EP40 Crew ticket program, where he hosts families from various CFKF beneficiaries at each game day. He started this during the 2019.20 season and has hosted more than 45 families to date.

This was on his first income...

Maybe Petey wanted to be anonymous but the charity would like it to be known for PR reasons?

Finally... I don't think I know any making $100k a year donating $680, If they did, I think that would be very generous.

I hate these TV ads targeting old vulnerable people for whatever little they have. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, spook007 said:

What is the problem with Petey giving away $50.000? The Charity seems to be overwhelmed by the biggest single contribution ever.

Sedins donated Millions, when they were financial secure. What if Petey breaks a leg tomorrow, and won't be able to skate again?

On top of this, who knows what Petey actually gives away? Pettersson also supports the CFKF through his EP40 Crew ticket program, where he hosts families from various CFKF beneficiaries at each game day. He started this during the 2019.20 season and has hosted more than 45 families to date.

This was on his first income...

Maybe Petey wanted to be anonymous but the charity would like it to be known for PR reasons?

Finally... I don't think I know any making $100k a year donating $680, If they did, I think that would be very generous.

I hate these TV ads targeting old vulnerable people for whatever little they have. 

Peteys 3 years at over a million made him financially more secure than 80%+ of the Canadian population… and at age 22 for that matter.

What if anyone breaks a leg and can’t do their job tomorrow…  It’s respectful to not share what you donate because it shouldn’t be done for accolades or recognition.

If Petey injures himself now and never plays again he goes in IR and makes every cent he signed for. And still gets more support from players assistance fund and NHLPA (maybe not financial but it’s probably significant what he does receive as resources)

I don’t have a problem with anyone donating. Its the PR I don’t agree with. (And it’s classless to share your donations) In the end Canucks should have said that the Canucks players or a player donated it and left him anonymous.

The reason you have never heard of someone who makes 100,000 a year donate $680 is because most people have been taught to not go around tooting their horns. I would bet that there are numerous people who donate a whole lot more than .68% of their yearly salaries… Some people donate almost everything they have and commit to serving others as a cause and don’t make much money because of it.

59 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Peteys 3 years at over a million made him financially more secure than 80%+ of the Canadian population… and at age 22 for that matter.

What if anyone breaks a leg and can’t do their job tomorrow…  It’s respectful to not share what you donate because it shouldn’t be done for accolades or recognition.

If Petey injures himself now and never plays again he goes in IR and makes every cent he signed for. And still gets more support from players assistance fund and NHLPA (maybe not financial but it’s probably significant what he does receive as resources)

I don’t have a problem with anyone donating. Its the PR I don’t agree with. (And it’s classless to share your donations) In the end Canucks should have said that the Canucks players or a player donated it and left him anonymous.

The reason you have never heard of someone who makes 100,000 a year donate $680 is because most people have been taught to not go around tooting their horns. I would bet that there are numerous people who donate a whole lot more than .68% of their yearly salaries… Some people donate almost everything they have and commit to serving others as a cause and don’t make much money because of it.

It's totally irrelevant if he is more secure than 80% of the Canadian population. 

Its respectful, but as I said before, maybe just maybe CFKF would like the donation, not to be anonymous for PR reasons...

Yes, he gets what he signed for... for the next 3 years... After that he isn't contracted, thus no more money. Hence the reason I said once his next contract is signed, where ever it may be, he may give more towards charity/charities just like the Sedins did...

Ok this I actually agree with... I would never ask to be named for a charity like this myself neither...

Maybe yes, maybe no... thats the whole point of donating anonymously, so guess we'll never know, but you may be right. 

On that subject, I was my final sentence... I hate tv ads, that targets folks, who can hardly afford their heating or food in the first place, but still pay as they feel sorry for others. and they often pay more than .68% of their income. I think robbing Peter to pay Paul is wrong...

But think it's great in general, that there is so much generosity amongst most people in this society. 

• Cheers 2

On 12/2/2021 at 4:57 PM, Me_ said:

Thank you for your 0.68% of one of your year’s salary Pettersson. 

Very generous.

So did you donate $300-$1,000 this year?

My guess is many slamming this gesture donate even less of their earnings.   For some, zero.

It may not meet some people's approval in relation to how it scales to his earnings, but every bit helps.  Be part of the solution, not the problem (solution being getting out there and topping things up if you don't feel others are doing a good enough job.  Not criticizing those who do chip in...at least they're doing something).

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

21 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

I don’t have a problem with anyone donating. Its the PR I don’t agree with. (And it’s classless to share your donations)

That's your take on it.

The flip side is, it raises awareness and challenges others.  In my view, it's classless to weigh in with anything negative when someone donates.  It's publicized for a reason...big names draw attention and so this brings attention to the charity/ies as well, not just the donor.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

That's your take on it.

The flip side is, it raises awareness and challenges others.  In my view, it's classless to weigh in with anything negative when someone donates.  It's publicized for a reason...big names draw attention and so this brings attention to the charity/ies as well, not just the donor.

its just a head shaker how some people are reacting to this.

Was it just as "bad" when McDavid did something similar?

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mcdavid-donates-85k-to-charity-supporting-indigenous-kids-1.4089498

• Cheers 1

Just now, JM_ said:

its just a head shaker how some people are reacting to this.

Was it just as "bad" when McDavid did something similar?

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mcdavid-donates-85k-to-charity-supporting-indigenous-kids-1.4089498

Some people are just in negative mode right now and they have little positive to shed on anything.  It's kind of sad.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, -DLC- said:

Some people are just in negative mode right now and they have little positive to shed on anything.  It's kind of sad.

it really is. Destructive too, these are the kinds of "fans" Epp was talking about that drive away players from our market.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

On 12/2/2021 at 6:24 AM, Canuckster86 said:

it is 146th of his earnings, so someone making 60k needs to donate $411 in comparison. It is great that he donated, I was just pointing out that 50k to him is not much coin, we rarely here Canuck players make donations...I am sure others do and probably for less amount

"Others do".

So I'd assume you don't, as you haven't included yourself in those others who do?   I believe I recall you saying that you're not in a position to....but Petey may be doing things with his money that we're not privy to.  He's got family that come from a modest little village...maybe he's got others on his list that YOU don't know about?  To stand and judge someone for trying to do some good really isn't justifiable.  

Those who offer LESS than Petey has (scaled of course) really have no business criticizing.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 11/30/2021 at 5:25 PM, Canuck Luck said:

OMG. Petey donated 1.5 periods of a hockey game of salary and gets a tax break for doing it.

Not like he earned it anyway. Probably feeling guilty lol.

I feel that those slamming his donation may feel some guilt of their own for not donating anything anywhere.  Just a hunch.

I'm outta this thread for now....these comments are garbage and don't reflect well on the city/fanbase.  

A guy does something good and some still find something bad in it.  I don't know that that's on him.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

In the end, regardless of the motivation.

Be it a cause you believe in.

A tax deduction. 

It's benefitting kids, and families that need help.

So if a local musician or actor donated $50,000 to flood victims. Would you complain about that? 

Or if Elon Musk donated a $1,000,000.00 (When the guy has billions), I don't think the charity would complain. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Jeez, it's like they can't tell the difference between doing something nice (as Petey has done) and the terrible crap so many others in privileged positions have done.

Just bitter, stupid, whiners.

We should repost that video of Petey inviting others to donate, and any crappers who dare to post get Ban-Hammered!

These tools never post anything of any merit anyways, so why should we have to put up with it?

Let's Take Back CDC!

Cull all the carpers!

Go Donators!

Go Canucks!

Go away goofs!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1