The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks for Kids Fund Receives $50,000 Gift from Elias Pettersson

Rate this topic

The Arrogant Worms

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Those grumbling about the amount .... how much do you donate (be honest)?  

All class, Petey.....you done good.  Haters gonna hate but they're probably big cheapskates who don't donate.

as much as I can afford, which isn't a ton, but expressed as a percentage probably about the same as this donation. 

but charity isn't a competition and any amount is a worthwhile amount. I have no doubt that he does other charitable endeavours as well -- it has practically been mandated by the organization since the quinn era, after all. but good on petey for doing a good thing.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

You quite literally said: "not sure how much of that money will go to actually helping"

So I answered your question, and since it's likely quite a large chunk of the $50k, said that I hope it makes you feel better (since your comments in this thread are suggesting you worry not very much of it is going to help people).

Not questioning this particular charity at all and there are other ways of helping - imo.  Not sure, what your point is: when you stated, if it [makes me feel better] - care to elaborate cause you seem to be insinuating something ?

Like I said and to clairfy, it is: a tax receipt, good PR and the recipient gets 60% (as you figured, but still a good chunk going somewhere else) - so better than nothing. 

Good for EP and his generosity cause 50K is still a good chunk of change.  

Reposting, my whole last post cause (unless you can read minds) I never said anything about, not caring for the family being helped. Also, in my post, I gave EP kudos for giving; eventhough, a good chunk will be spent somewhere else.  I believe in charitable giving

• Wat 1

I think where these things go wrong is that Petey donated just over 1/2 % of his annual salary, in which he gets half of back, and they publicize and make a big deal about it. Where as plenty of people spend much more then 1% in donations and get no recognition.  Can leave a bad taste in some peoples mouths.  It's a nice thing to do for sure but they need to not publish this stuff it just cheapens the whole thing. 

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, thrago said:

I think where these things go wrong is that Petey donated just over 1/2 % of his annual salary, in which he gets half of back, and they publicize and make a big deal about it. Where as plenty of people spend much more then 1% in donations and get no recognition.  Can leave a bad taste in some peoples mouths.  It's a nice thing to do for sure but they need to not publish this stuff it just cheapens the whole thing. 

Most don't donate for "recognition"...it's to help others in need.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Most don't donate for "recognition"...it's to help others in need.

I realise that, and I'm sure that EP didn't want it either, I'm sure the charity wanted to do it.  But if you donate $500 and you make $50,000 a year and some guy donates $50,000 and makes over $7 million and gets a big fan fair can make you feel a little unappreciated.  Even though you don't want recognition.  It's a phycological thing that makes your donation feel less important even though donating $500 out of $50,000 is significantly more of a sacrifice from a lifestyle perspective.  I just think publicising this stuff can do more harm then good.  But that's just me.   

• Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, thrago said:

I realise that, and I'm sure that EP didn't want it either, I'm sure the charity wanted to do it.  But if you donate $500 and you make $50,000 a year and some guy donates $50,000 and makes over $7 million and gets a big fan fair can make you feel a little unappreciated.  Even though you don't want recognition.  It's a phycological thing that makes your donation feel less important even though donating $500 out of $50,000 is significantly more of a sacrifice from a lifestyle perspective.  I just think publicising this stuff can do more harm then good.  But that's just me.   

Maybe people should stop feeling so targeted and offended about dumb stuff?   
You donated $500!  That’s rad!  Feels good right?       That’s the point…..  Doing what you can to help.  
Who cares what others are doing?  Be jazzed someone who can donate 50k actually did. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not offended in the least,  I could care less actually.  I was just putting out a perspective of why some people might.  As far as I'm concerned everyone earned their money and they can do whatever they want with it, and it's none of my damn business.   

• Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Wow. The comments here…… 

There must be a handful of millionaires wasting their valuable time on these boards, see how many people here trash talking a 50k donation. 

To those lipping off about the donation, and we all see who you are, how many of you goofs have personally donated 50k this year?

We all know the number is zero, so why talk?   

Keeping in mind taxes, escrow, agent fees, etc….. players get like 50% of their contract.  
Elias has also just gotten his contract and wasn’t making much before this.  
He didn’t get a 7mill signing bonus, so he doesn’t just have 7-10 mill waiting to be donated like the Sedin’s who were well into their career when they made that huge donation to CFKF.  

Short of it,  unless you are doing more, get off your pedestal and be jazzed the kids did it.  

Some people in this town….. you just can’t win 

Probably the opposite....people poor but they think they have all the solutions and are critical about the rich like the haven't earned it....

6 hours ago, tas said:

without wanting to be dismissive of the donation, because it's still a positive thing, assuming he donated $50k canadian, that's a little over half of what he's paid for a single game. 

Cannot quite understand ANY negative or dismissive posts regarding this donation....despite what income one makes this is a large, fantastic and I am sure very appreciated amount. Something to be cheered and positive about 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, thrago said:

Maybe the fact he did it will inspire others??? Why find a negative spin on a very positive event

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I saw the best/worst comment from this online

Is Pettersson still young enough to qualify?  Maybe the medical experts can find out what happened to his game because it's obvious he's either lazy or handicapped

It's awful but I still had a lol out of it

That being said, good guy EP!!!!!!

Whoever wrote that comment........they’re not wrong.  Given the way Petey has played this season, it’s a perfectly legitimate question.  Boeser and Dickinson as well.

• RoughGame 1

4 hours ago, thrago said:

I remember hearing a few times the Sedins only stipulation prior to there massive donations was to absolutely keep it private. 

They did not want a bunch of wannabe's who couldn't make a $50 donation without being broke till payday making stupid comments.