The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks for Kids Fund Receives $50,000 Gift from Elias Pettersson

Rate this topic

The Arrogant Worms

11 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Nice that he donated, $50,000 is chump change for him now with his new deal.

Chump change or not... it has made theorganisation very happy, and the PR is invaluable to them as well. 
Let the boy make himself finacial secure before giving everything to charity. 
And who's to say it end there...

Edited by spook007
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, CanucksForever2 said:

I can't believe some of the comments here and they make me sick. This is something good. It doesn't matter how much Petey earns, $50k is a lot of money that can help many children.

When was the last time anyone one of you donated?

I'm sure a lot of us donate more then the take home from a couple days work every year, and many of us can't really afford to give much either.    That's why some are brushing this off.   It's nothing like what Subban did in MTL, and donations only a small amount is actually a write off so for sure taxes aren't a big part of the "charity".  

I'd hope a lot of us on here donated to the red cross recently.   Sure EP only plays 82 games a year but needs to commit 320 or so days to his craft if not more so don't buy that it's only half a games pay (plus he makes less then half what his paycheque is, the rest goes to tax and infrastructure we all enjoy).   This is a good start from EP, and hope his teammates reciprocate.   Also a little surprised the team hasn't gotten together and publicly made a massive donation to the red cross and made it public just from a PR standpoint given what's going on right now in the Valley. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I can understand where most posters are coming from on how they feel about the $50k donation. I get those who think it’s a nice gesture, but comparing to his salary seems very little. I get those who think it’s $50k and that amount can do a lot of good regardless of how much the person who is donating makes.

For me I feel a bit of both. I will never criticize a good action done regardless of reasoning or context. He did a great thing. Lots of people could be doing what EP has done and don’t ever in their lives. At the same time if I were in his position making $1m + per year I’d be donating at least 10% to charity yearly, more if I made more. That’s still plenty left to live a luxurious/lavish lifestyle, but also a great investment in my community to help others get ahead.

Those saying the people who haven’t donated $50k shouldn’t be talking are missing the fact that most here don’t take that much home in a year and won’t ever be able to afford to make a donation that large or any amount for that matter. There’s a lot of people who live paycheck to paycheck. However those saying that $50k isn’t enough are missing the fact that very few millionaires donate that much in their entire lives, let alone make it as a one-time donation.

Overall I think in the end while the donation could be larger (and I personally hope Petey and all Canucks/wealthy people donated more to those less fortunate) it is also very deserving of praise/celebration because it will help a lot of families in our province which is the sole purpose of giving to charity in the first place: to help others.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LunarPoetry said:

Maybe the fact he did it will inspire others??? Why find a negative spin on a very positive event

I don't have a negative spin, I'm fine with him or anybody doing whatever they want to do with their money.  I was just trying to give a perspective of why I think some people might be giving it a negative spin.

• RoughGame 2

I hate to be the devil’s advocate here, but this was just a PR move.

Unlike the Sedins, their donation were anonymous, until news broke out. Whereas, this gesture was apart of this “giving Tuesday” social media movement.

• RoughGame 2

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

On a different note, am I the only one, who actually is really pleased to see Petey acknowleging and appreciating the people of Vancouver. 
The way this is written doesn't sound like a player eager to get out of Dodge City?

It at least makes me feel the downswing in play isn't because he's unhappy about the Canucks but more likely the result of missing preseason and/or playing through a niggling injury?

Exactly. It was a really nice gesture. Everyone just leave it at that. The sick kids of BC and their families are thankful Petey. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, CanucksForever2 said:

I can't believe some of the comments here and they make me sick. This is something good. It doesn't matter how much Petey earns, $50k is a lot of money that can help many children.

When was the last time anyone one of you donated?

I'm sure many of us donate that % of our salary on a yearly basis. That's 420 bucks bucks if you make 70k a year. 300 bucks if you make 50k a year. 

Edited by MikeyD

This really should go without saying but this 50k is what EP has PUBLICALLY donated to charity. 

Not saying he has donated more than that privately, but for those who criticize the move on the basis of salary % given, perhaps it is possible that not all of his charitable contributions are publicized...?

If you accept this premise (and you may not) then maybe it's worth accepting that we dont have all the information about EPs charitable contributions as a whole.

And thus, perhaps making negative judgements about him and/or his overall charitable actions on the basis of this 50k contribution is premature and made with snap judgments rather than the full story that we cant see.

• Cheers 1

On 11/30/2021 at 6:23 PM, -DLC- said:

Those grumbling about the amount .... how much do you donate (be honest)?  

All class, Petey.....you done good.  Haters gonna hate but they're probably big cheapskates who don't donate.

Life is too expensive with a young family to donate, personally opinion. We don't make EP40 $$$$ if we did yearly, donation would be much higher...gotta get your tax breaks in however you can when you earn that much and it looks good on you for doing it at the same time. Everything in life goes up in price, too bad jobs don't get appropriate raises to compensate for it...

19 hours ago, McBackup said:

Imagine being so full of vitriol you'd sneer at someone for only donating fifty thousand dollars to charity.

it is 146th of his earnings, so someone making 60k needs to donate $411 in comparison. It is great that he donated, I was just pointing out that 50k to him is not much coin, we rarely here Canuck players make donations...I am sure others do and probably for less amount

• RoughGame 2

Just now, -DLC- said:

My point is that people who don't/can't donate shouldn't really slam whose who do. 

Even small amounts help....to scale it to Petey, I donate $50 every once in awhile to a rabbit shelter and always feel that it's not enough.  But they make the point that if everyone in the community donates a small amount, it adds up.  You don't have to donate $50,000 to still make a difference.  We can't think in terms of "not enough"....we have to think more in terms of not enough people are helping.

Even IF it's for a tax break...the recipients don't care.  

I understand Deb, just feels like I or people today can't express anything without being judged harshly by others. I know sometimes I have made others unhappy with what I write on here but unfortunately for all of you this is my 1 and only social media outlet. Sadly, it gets to be a bit much for me at times and the negativity or lack of response to what I think is insightful hockey talk.

Maybe for the best that I leave the site or if possible change my name without people knowing who the new me is without the judgement coming along with it. Life is tough, money is tight for some and me definitely with everything going on. I do come here to vent at times and I am sorry for that but if I don't let it out I don't know what I would do. If I made millions upon millions I would be doing a lot of good with it and the donation amount would be a lot more than $50k, that was my point AND yes EP can surely donate more and to other charities without us knowing it. Sorry for pissing people off, time to leave the site or beome a "new" old member on here or something...

• Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

it is 146th of his earnings, so someone making 60k needs to donate $411 in comparison. It is great that he donated, I was just pointing out that 50k to him is not much coin, we rarely here Canuck players make donations...I am sure others do and probably for less amount

This isn't about doing math, it's about someone doing a kind gesture.  It is great that he donated.

Probably just leave it at that.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

are you his accountant? how do you know what else he might donate to? or what his actual take-home pay is after escrow and taxes?

unreal that people would nitpick this :sadno:

there seems to be a little cult of Petey bashing going on this year and its crap. 

Edited by JM_
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

there seems to be a little cult of Petey bashing going on this year and its crap. 

It likely has nothing to do with Pettersson.

Whenever a wealthy celebrity donates to anything a bunch of cretins always come crawling out of the woodwork to whine about how they didn't donate enough/to the right cause.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1