The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 04, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The idea is to embarrass Aquilini enough that he fires them.  He still doesn't seem to understand that Green is not welcome here.

You don't think the record, alone, would do that?  

I'm quite sure the embarrassment factor isn't a driving force in decision making.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

I don't think Gillis is a guru by any means, but I think he did play a pretty big role in building around the good young pieces he inherited. Oddly enough I think a Benning/Gillis tandem would be a real good management group. Lol. Benning has done a great job of handling the scouting crew. Finding good talent, he has just been awful at signing and trading for supplementary talent. Something Gillis was amazing at and was crucial to the 2011 team being as good as it was. If only we had a Gillis alongside Benning we maybe would have a really good team here. We all complain about the NTCs but they allowed us to compete. He just fell flat on his face in the scouting and drafting department.

He rode on the tail coats of the twins. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, -DLC- said:

You don't think the record, alone, would do that?  

I'm quite sure the embarrassment factor isn't a driving force in decision making.

I'm not sure what it is going to take for Aquilini to start caring about the team and hire an actual NHL coach.  At this point, I'm open to anything that might get through to him; time is of the essence to minimize the damage this coaching staff is doing.

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Didn't his smarts get us stuck with the ridiculous retroactive punishment for the Loungo contract? He was too bright regarding sports law. 

Oh, come on. When Gillis signed Luongo to that contract IT WAS ENTIRELY WITHIN THE RULES. How was anybody to know that Bettman would be successful in penalizing teams for back-diving contracts? 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

We're not unique in that we have idiots in this city...just like any other city.  

Anyhow, the fool who threw a jersey wasn't showing their intelligence in my opinion.  So maybe they were at the riot too?  Who knows.

I just feel like staying away is likely more impactful.  And civilized.

The person who threw the jersey on the ice wasn’t very bright in my humble opinion but it made a statement that’s still resonating a day later. Dumulion’s act of returning the jersey was solid. 

I won’t be burning or chucking my jersey any time soon and I’m plenty frustrated, but can compartmentalize my appreciation for the Canucks so that it doesn’t bleed into anything else I do. The jersey chucker :lol: wasn’t able to as such and clearly their emotions got the better of their actions. 

I do agree that more people staying away from home games will have a stronger impact and the subsequent cancellation of seasons tickets will really have an impact. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not sure what it is going to take for Aquilini to start caring about the team and hire an actual NHL coach.  At this point, I'm open to anything that might get through to him; time is of the essence to minimize the damage this coaching staff is doing.

Me either.  I don't feel it's a lack of caring...I think he cares but also is in over his head and thinks being a cheerleader as an owner is enough.  It's not.  He has to hire people and allow them to do their jobs...that's the entire point of paying their salaries.  That you have faith that they can/will.

I like FA as an owner...but I think he has to, at some point, see that his way isn't "the" way and it requires professionals who can make decisions for him.  Not take orders and do things that he's ordering on his behalf.  I feel that being a "fan" of the team is both a blessing and a curse...because he's hoping, like the rest of us, but he isn't doing what is necessary.

Staying on the same course at this point is allowing this to unravel further.  He has to take charge and take action.

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Oh, come on. When Gillis signed Luongo to that contract IT WAS ENTIRELY WITHIN THE RULES. How was anybody to know that Bettman would be successful in penalizing teams for back-diving contracts? 

It's spelt Lulongo. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So a child throws a tantrum and the parents are supposed to give the child attention for that behaviour?  

Ownership has been sitting on their hands while the environment gets more toxic by the day.

Everyday changes aren't made to bring in better people is another day wasted.

Again, I don't condone it, but if this is what it takes to accelerate the very necessary changes, I can live with it.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Weren’t the clubs warned these contracts were going to be dealt with in the next CBA, and to not sign any?  

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Ownership has been sitting on their hands while the environment gets more toxic by the day.

Everyday changes aren't made to bring in better people is another day wasted.

Again, I don't condone it, but if this is what it takes to accelerate the very necessary changes, I can live with it.

image.gif.ab4fd5eabe4aaddf7e3eeaece383b369.gif

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Weren’t the clubs warned these contracts were going to be dealt with in the next CBA, and to not sign any?  

I don't think so, but am not sure. Even if they were warned, why would Gillis just go ahead and defy the warning? Doesn't make sense.

14 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

That's what I meant when I called it.... RIDICULOUS RETROACTIVE PUNISHMENT

Kinda a Gillis fan here.

• Vintage 2

I really like the idea of an interim coach, even if it takes a while to get our new coach. The closer this gets to Christmas, the colder it is to let someone go right before it. They should let Green go now. Actually, they should have let him go last season.

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Things were getting out of control so in 2012-13 the league put limits on contracts.

Luongo signed that 12 year deal in September 2009. The rule against back diving contracts wasn't established until the new CBA was signed in September 2012. I guess Gillis' failing was that he couldn't see how, three years down the road, he would be penalized for something that was entirely acceptable under the CBA that existed at that time.