The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 04, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, DS4quality said:

How many here were honestly laughing and making fun of the fire Benning banner and rally in the summer...honestly 98% of the people on here made fun of the rally, and are just jumping ship. 

Honestly I want people to chant and throw their jerseys on the ice, because it might be the only way to get something done. 

No offense to the old dudes around the team, but I'm sick of making heroes out of guys who never got the job done here in Vancouver. 

It's been 50+ years of losing, tell me why I'm supposed celebrating? 

The banner was stupid then, and it’s stupid now.  

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Which guys are for sure our core going forward?

Demko

Hughes, OEL

Petey, Bess, Garland, Hogs, Pods

Would a new GM see things sort of this way?  

I would say all those guys except Boeser. I think Klimovich can replace Boeser. As for a new GM, if we do replace Benning then nobody is safe. A new GM could clean house. We don’t know. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Why? Because look at Petey and Boeser and tell me how they have improved under this coaching staff. They been steadily getting worse. We are an objectively better team (on paper) this year than last year and yet we are worse this season than last season. That was also a team that was ravaged by Covid. So yeah, if you don't think something is wrong with this coaching staff you're blind.

I already said from the first comment, they have thoroughly earned a firing, so I never said I “don’t think something is wrong”

I also said, we have bigger problems than just coaching. And I’m not accusing you of doing this, but those who think bringing in an “experienced coach” will fix our problems is only perpetuating our problems (in my opinion). 

also, hard to say those guys have steadily gotten worse with the injuries playing a factor and the fact that boeser led the team in points last year (which isn’t saying much).

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well Boeser won't be able to push for much of a raise at this point. Unless he's planning to leave like Edler did. 

Boeser should be an easy fix it seems to me. He is not a playmaker or a great passer. He is a SHOOTER, plain and simple. He needs a SET UP guy. Peteys a shooter as is Miller. Why is he not with Bo "ALL THE TIME"? Nope, lets just keep trying to reignite the 649 line like its going to miraculously go back to the future. 

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I feel that coaching staff has become a little stubborn and stuck (on their ideas).  Rather than tap into natural talent and ability, they're trying to force something that isn't working.  Changing the game of players who likely see the game much better than they do.  In over their heads, as they're not equipped to adequately utilize what they have? We hear about systems and structure but sometimes you have some very uniquely gifted talent who don't need you to make a new mold for them by forcing them like square pegs into round holes.  I feel like fresh perspective is overdue at this point...then we can assess things.  

It doesn't make sense that several players are suddenly struggling at the same time....that screams that it's those "coaching" them that need changing.

Yes I agree, Pearson is not the answer to Bo. He finally figured out Garland needed to play more but he continues to leave Pearson in the top 6 when obviously he does not belong there. He finally puts Podz on the PP and he scores. He did the same with Hughes when he refused to put him on the PP. It got to the point where he put him on the PP because he had no choice. He leaves Chiasson on PP? There are so many examples of this it astounds me that no one in management notices it or they just ignore it.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

When you sit down and examine this year over last there is one huge change. They added a coach to improve their defensive structure.

Now both Petey and Boeser are struggling.   Is that a coincidence?    Have they been trying to alter to a more defensive structure all year?

Maybe they should call up Rathbone and Lockwood. Make the team as mobile as possible and rock and roll. 

Open things up.   Even if they decide to make some adjustments personal wise they need to get Petey and Brock going.

15 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Intelligent? Look. I agree that Benning doesn't have a lot of foresight in some of his moves. 

However, I wouldn't classify the Luongo contract as an "intelligent move". I also wouldn't call it intelligent for Gillis to completely turn our prospect pool into a wasteland.

As a GM that is his duty to make sure of but he failed at those. Both Benning and Gillis have their weak spots. 

Gillis proposed better methods of sleep to the team doctors/physicians for our players but that's about it. Doesn't make him the Einstein of GM's. 

When a GM going hard for the Cup I can forgive such moves.

Is Benning close to bringing home the Cup? 
He managed to make the prospect pool close to wasteland without the Cup in sight. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

The PK is still the most obvious FIX needed here. 

PK PK PK. 

Still no answers from Green. 

Change the personell

for starters

And coach shot blocking

ffs

Include learning how to win a faceoff, if you are chasing the puck your whole shift ,only to dump it in and have the next line do the same thing over , it is hard to generate offence and another reason we cannot score, not to mention all the hard wide angled shots that exit the offensive zone

Notice how teams score off deflections on our defence?

A shot towards the net can be a good thing

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Eastsidenuck said:

I already said from the first comment, they have thoroughly earned a firing, so I never said I “don’t think something is wrong”

I also said, we have bigger problems than just coaching. And I’m not accusing you of doing this, but those who think bringing in an “experienced coach” will fix our problems is only perpetuating our problems (in my opinion). 

also, hard to say those guys have steadily gotten worse with the injuries playing a factor and the fact that boeser led the team in points last year (which isn’t saying much).

I think we're pretty much on the same page the team needs an overhaul. It's just a misunderstanding where you think that I think only removing the coach will fix the problems. I agree, the whole org needs to be changed. Maybe not the whole org. Keep Ian Clark and the Sedins. Maybe the scouting staff too, I think they do good work it's just misfires by management on utilizing the players we draft.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The Aqualinis have owned the Canucks for 17 years. As a fan from the begining I consider them the best ownership group in the history of the club. They fund to maximum CAP and have bought out contracts to make things work. Contrary to some comments they have invested in the org over an above the team on the ice. If they were in it for the money I suspect they would have sold when the valuation hit $1 billion. For the amount of their investment I don't have a problem with their having a close involvement with club direction. I assume anyone with that amount of money invested would have informed people advising them. By their nature of being in real estate investments they are long term holders of assets. If they are setting the direction of hockey operations (hard to believe) then they can see the results and will have to adjust. 

I agree with Bieksa that the club hasn't had a real identity since the Twins retired. IMHO that is on management. 

As they should, I agree they are generous, and give back to the community, and treat the organization with first class support. However, they have made very poor choices for their hockey ops people. The bar is pretty though too, as far as previous ownership, other than say the Griffiths', who I wish had deeper pockets.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

I think we're pretty much on the same page the team needs an overhaul. It's just a misunderstanding where you think that I think only removing the coach will fix the problems. I agree, the whole org needs to be changed. Maybe not the whole org. Keep Ian Clark and the Sedins. Maybe the scouting staff too, I think they do good work it's just misfires by management on utilizing the players we draft.

Yes I definitely agree with that and I hope I wasn’t coming across as hostile. I just hope the powers that be understand that it’ll take more than a little tweak to get where any franchise wants to go ultimately which is the top. To me, it starts with a president to set the standard and direction

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Makes sense to me.   Anyone wearing Horvats jersey is probably in their 20's.   We aren't winning, and like the generation before them, are used to participation awards.    Also spending "Dad's" money likely too. 

....In other words, one of those "Millenial" People !  (A.K.A. "The Zombie Generation").   I've heard about those........

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Include learning how to win a faceoff, if you are chasing the puck your whole shift ,only to dump it in and have the next line do the same thing over , it is hard to generate offence and another reason we cannot score, not to mention all the hard wide angled shots that exit the offensive zone

Notice how teams score off deflections on our defence?

A shot towards the net can be a good thing

That's why trading Bo makes no sense. Even on a stacked team he'd be a great 3rd line centre. It's not his fault only he and Miller can win draws. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Eastsidenuck said:

Yes I definitely agree with that and I hope I wasn’t coming across as hostile. I just hope the powers that be understand that it’ll take more than a little tweak to get where any franchise wants to go ultimately which is the top. To me, it starts with a president to set the standard and direction

I can't see a coaching change without a GM change, and vice versa. Not many GMs get the chance to hire more than 2 coaches and not many new GMs will hitch their wagon to the last GM's horse. I think this is why it's taking so long for actual activity. Ownership might just wait til the offseason. Likely have the most candidates for a new GM and coaching.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

And who’s in charge of the PK? Isn’t it Baumgartner? I’m willing to be that he doesn’t find another NHL gig on an NHL bench. 

I cannot believe ownership is wondering if a change has to be made. What are they &^@#ing waiting for. 

I know that management has been neutered. They haven’t spoken, showed their face, haven’t made a move. Owner doesn’t want Benning to speak, because the last time he spoke, it was so uninspiring. I don’t hate Benning as the person, but man, as a GM, his body of work over the last 8 years, has not been good. I would not be surprised if he never works or gets another GM job in the NHL . 

Yup its Baumer. Green has to take responsibility for the PK too though - its his job to oversee it, and if its not working, he should be making changes. 

I agree. Unfortunately I think its really the combo of Green and Benning that's made Benning look so much worse. Green's consistently pulled the worst out of his players (Edler looked like he was 3000 years old and ready to retire, Tanev got beat up so badly he was always injured, Schmidt was used all wrong so had a bad year offensively and defensively etc etc.) and as a result, it pushed Benning to make moves that probably shouldnt have been made.

If Green was getting the most out of his players, we'd probably still have Edler, Tanev, Schmidt, all of whom have gone on to have amazing years for their new teams. 

I agree that some of the moves this year were a step back, but tbh he had to try something if he wasnt going to get rid of Green. Bennings roster construction plan was so bad though.. Poolman or Hamonic are NOT a suitable replacement for Tanev. 

Step 1: Fire Benning, and Green/King/Baumer. Because clearly Benning refuses to make changes. (Unless ownership has said no changes this year)

Step 2: Gear is interm GM, provide him a list of core players that he can't trade unless ownership agrees. Shaw as interm Head Coach. Keep Clark, and find new assistants.

Step 3: If the team can't turn around under new coaching. Trade everyone at the deadline.

Step 4: Hire a President. Who in turn hires the GM, who in turn hires the new head coach. 

Welcome back to ground zero. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I can't see a coaching change without a GM change, and vice versa. Not many GMs get the chance to hire more than 2 coaches and not many new GMs will hitch their wagon to the last GM's horse. I think this is why it's taking so long for actual activity. Ownership might just wait til the offseason. Likely have the most candidates for a new GM and coaching.

Yeah you’re right. I would be more than satisfied with the same route that Montreal took though.