The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Let's keep it coming!! Announce a blockbuster trade or two to bring us a tough guy, a power forward that can score and a big,  reliable LHD!! 

I’ll take Anderson out of MTL, thank you very much 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

I think it's because the defense sucks. JB put together 2 top 4 guys and everyone else is a 5/6 guy.

We won't know how bad the defense is until we see how they play without Baumgartner handicapping the team with his idiotic system.  They've been set up to fail playing under this clown and it's entirely possible that we see significant improvement.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I think it's because the defense sucks. JB put together 2 top 4 guys and everyone else is a 5/6 guy.

Yeah but it's way better than last year (on paper) and it's performing way worse. A group of 4 top 6 D with 2 Top 4 D shouldn't have the worst PK in the history of the game through 25 games. Especially when that same D core with like 3 AHLers last season at least didn't embarass themselves.

4 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

STEEMER seems to be taking command 

I'm not old enough to have watched him.

All I know is that I met him in the press box at a game and shook his hand.

I'm an above average sized dude but his hand was like a bear paw and his handshake was so firm it almost broke my arm off.

Just based on that interaction, I'm comfortable with this move.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

We won't know how bad the defense is until we see how they play without Baumgartner handicapping the team with his idiotic system.  They've been set up to fail playing under this clown and it's entirely possible that we see significant improvement.

This is what I'm most excited about. Never understood how this guy kept his job for so long.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Let's hope!!!!!

I still think they don't have the horses. Could improve though. I was wrong once.

Just now, Jack Fig said:

Jim did some good drafting, but even there his record us somewhat overrated. His FA spending was pretty atrocious. Trades .... eh ... average at best. 

Indeed. And trades that are "average at best" are not the kind of trades that "worst GM's ever" make. But hey lets all call Benning the worst GM ever huhu

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah but it's way better than last year (on paper) and it's performing way worse. A group of 4 top 6 D with 2 Top 4 D shouldn't have the worst PK in the history of the game through 25 games. Especially when that same D core with like 3 AHLers last season at least didn't embarass themselves.

I don’t think it is better than last year on paper. I would also like to add on paper is useless.