The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Petey made the statement that he wanted to play for a winning team.  Bo said that no one there wanted to be part of a rebuild. 

These young guys want everything now. That is not how it works. If you get a chance to win a cup once in your life you are lucky. 

I would tell Bo that if you ever want to win a cup you need to be part of a long term organization. You need to be willing to take a reasonable contract that allows your team to build around you. If Miller and Horvat resigned for 5.5 mil for 5 years that would give time and money for this team to finish the rebuild. Players need to buy in to get to a cup. 

Otherwise they need to move these guys in their prime for as many assets as they can get.

What player in their right mind would say they would love to be a part of a rebuild. People want to win. That will never change

Late to the party...but

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!   FINALLY!

:frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic:

Two or three years too late IMO.  By keeping him after that he was allowed to screw the team more.  And make the next GMs job more difficult.  Would have been good if he'd let three of his mistakes play out their contracts this season giving a new GM some cap space.  But he saw the writing on the ice, and went all in for one last desperate run for a playoff position to save his bacon. And Aquaman let him.

What we need is a President of Hockey Operations right now too.  A very experienced one like Gorton, who, as usual, Aquaman is late to the party to get before Montreal did. Someone not in the old Canuck boys club who can see the forest for the trees. And is rich enough already and who's reputation is already built to a degree that Aqualini won't be able to intimidate him.   Who will then hire a new GM in the same mold.  If they hire another puppet so Francesco can play "Be an NHL GM!" again, we are doomed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

true but the rest of Canada's dealings are corrupt and have been for some time now but we pretty it up so it doesn't look quite as bad to as other countries. 

The native death cover-ups are just one lil bit on the tip of the mountain. Heck when I grew up the RCMP used to take drunks and drive them out of town and make them walk back in or freeze to death and freezing to death was common, I was shocked to hear that it went on for years until people started to catch wind of it. 

I was told that the RCMP would never do such a thing... yeah right..

Yeah for sure, by all means Canada isn’t perfect. 

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

Doubt much will change if ownership wants to play hockey executive with thier team.

I really really hope that Francesco has learned his lesson.  And/or that Luigi has him on a shorter leash. 

Even if its just for a season or two....just back away let the grown ups be in charge for awhile.

• Cheers 1

I know Benning made some mistakes but I was one of the few who liked him on the whole. He made more good moves than bad and really think that a terrible coaching staff held his teams back. Every step of the way IMO he made the right decision apart from perhaps the Toffoli mess-up (but look at Toffoli's totals now...) and was faced with some tough, big decisions to make. On paper I think our roster is fantastic, it just never performed on-ice, and I think that's more Green's fault than JB's.

Regardless, that poor a record after so many years and heads have to roll. I think the mess we see on the ice now is 75% due to the coaching staff, 15% due to the strength of the roster/depth and 10% due to JB's moves.

• Cheers 3

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know Benning made some mistakes but I was one of the few who liked him on the whole. He made more good moves than bad and really think that a terrible coaching staff held his teams back. Every step of the way IMO he made the right decision apart from perhaps the Toffoli mess-up (but look at Toffoli's totals now...) and was faced with some tough, big decisions to make. On paper I think our roster is fantastic, it just never performed on-ice, and I think that's more Green's fault than JB's.

Regardless, that poor a record after so many years and heads have to roll. I think the mess we see on the ice now is 75% due to the coaching staff, 15% due to the strength of the roster/depth and 10% due to JB's moves.

who hires the coach

9 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Doubt much will change if ownership wants to play hockey executive with thier team.

Same ownership that people complain is too " meddling " has brought a hoard of division titles, multiple Presidents Trophies, Conference Championship and nearly a Stanley Cup. Who was complaining during those days  ? same owners.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Nuckin Kingsly said:

The whole team quit. Look at all their faces and moral going into the arena. Hard to keep leadership when everything is falling apart. 

I think he is just very excited for a change. It's impossible not to see that this team gave up on green 

I don’t think Horvat gets how gravity works, or the weight of the situation, and how now.. the pressure is clearly on the players, and him as a leader…

This is Bo’s quote from today : “ "I think our team needed a spark ... but at the same time, we have to go out there and prove it now."

A spark?!? lol 

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2

Hopefully this will be the dawn of a new era. It is good to start with a whole new management/coaching team. Professional sport is all about winning, there is no other option. It wasn't as if Benning wasn't given plenty of time. He was in the job for quite a few years and the results are going backwards not forwards.

Change won't come overnight but it will come, it may even be painful at times, but I believe this is a great time to develop a winning culture here and try and shake off the years of mediocre performances.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Point is that Berg drafted him in the 1st even after the kid himself requested that he not be drafted that year. I'm all for second chances and atonement, but Bergevin didn't even give the kid the chance to atone. He just stepped in and was like "You know what, kid? Don't worry about it". 

Fantastic example of a leader. 

That was exactly it... He saw a chance to draft a decent player, despite everyone else passing on him because of issue in Sweden, so he broke rank and basically said, don't worry... If you can play hockey, you can do whatever you want... Nice leader of a club...my butt.

Next thing will be drafting Coke snorting A-holes...

Edited by spook007