The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

23 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I snorted :lol::lol::lol:

Careful, I hear the police will scour through social media looking for admissions of crime.

8 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Maybe Sutter is close, hoping

Fwiw, my buddy says, Squire Barnes says, that Sutter is out for the season.

• Cheers 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, JC2 said:

With this hire I get the impression they are open to appointing another inexperienced gm. They would not need a man of his experience if they intended to hire an older well known gm.

I mean there’s a lot of AGM’s out there who would do the job just fine. I think right now we are sorta limited in the amount of available, experienced GM’s around the league. 

As long as we aren’t hiring guys like Ryan Johnson (too inexperienced), we’ll be fine. 

38 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I think you will find that if the Pens didn't already have 87/71 from a previous regime there wouldn't have been a lot to celebrate in Pittsburgh.  Rutherford had a terrible draft history in Pitt., just terrible. 

https://www.pensburgh.com/2020/6/11/21287782/2020-update-on-penguins-drafting-under-jim-rutherford

In addition to having a terrible draft history, he trades a lot of picks - 5 of his last 7 first rounders (I believe) he traded away for what have you.  Like I said, if Letang, Crosby, Malkin weren't already there I think people would have a much different perspective on Rutherford. 

I don't care if he's the president and 'mentoring' a new GM in the 'in's&out's' of how the league runs, but having him making trades/personnel moves/draft picks for this club for an extended period of time concerns me greatly.  I'm also very worried that Rutherford will recruit Botterill as he has made a lot of questionable moves in a short time-period:

https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-jason-botterill-what-went-wrong/

I'm nowhere near as happy with this announcement as some, but I'm open to letting it play out.....

I share some of these same concerns as well. Like I said in my post earlier, mixed feelings. Time will tell. 

At the very least we got the experience we needed in the POHO position. Not sure if the same people that are happy about signing Rutherford will still be as happy when he names Botterill GM.

Hope I’m wrong. 

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

three cups in Pittsburgh.  He knows what the top guys on a team have to be to win.  He will know if we have those guys in Petey, Hughes, Bess, etc.  

Close, 2 in Pittsburgh, 1 in Carolina.

Every executive in the NHL has some deals that they would like to reverse, but overall, he's well respected in the NHL and will find a good, solid GM to run draft and trading.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Our next first rounder is as good as gone 

focus on your race this weekend...Your ultra negativity is unwarranted, we jut hired the guy and you think he is going to trade all the core by the weekend...my goodness you are a negative nancy!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, and he probably won't be the interim guy for long. He doesn't want to be GM, dunno why people are panicking about him making GM decisions.

Yup, his is a name that commands respect. Teams will take him seriously, and most of the executives out there have likely had a working relationship with him for years. He should be able to find us a quality GM. I'm not even expecting him to make a single trade.

Makes sense given his age, someone else can step into the president role later on.

And boy do we need that stability after these last eight years, it's a breath of fresh air. 

There's no way Smyl didn't know about it before we did, and there's no guarantee Smyl even wanted the position. Speculation doesn't mean $&!#.

I don't see him being a doormat for Aqua, at his age and given the success he's had he doesn't exactly have a whole lot of reasons to just roll over for Aqua. It's not as if he needs the money at this point. 

Plus, he won't be the GM, he won't be the guy reaching out to try and construct trades. 

He has been taken advantage of by other teams in trades. 

Rutherford as Poho is great, and if his  interm gm label is alongside Smyl then fine by me.

I'd be disappointed if they have already thrown Smyl back to his previous position.

Run the G.M spot as a group for awhile, so it doesn't look like a repudiation of Stan's abilities.