The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, mll said:

Rutherford had an article in The Players' Tribune a few years' back where he covered some strong moments and trades he made for their 2016 Cup but also gave some insight on his philosophy in building a winner.

Excerpt:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/jim-rutherford-what-you-dont-know-about-being-a-gm

As a GM, you’re always asking yourself how you can build a winner. Yes, you absolutely need guys with speed, talent and hockey IQs. But you also need guys with strong character, because a hockey season will throw all kinds of things at you that you could never see coming in July. 

Ultimately, as a GM, you’re constantly trying to solve this puzzle: How can I build a team that can win a Stanley Cup? Not make the playoffs. Not compete. Win the thing. If not this year, then in five years? It’s a long game, not a short one.

In order to solve the puzzle, you have to be paying attention to the landscape of the league as a whole. This is very important. Both of my Stanley Cup teams came together after some pretty big shifts in the way the game was being played. With the 2006 Hurricanes, we knew that the game was going to be officiated differently after the lockout. The league was cracking down on the clutch-and-grab style that defined the ’90s, so we went after players who would excel in the new environment. 

The league always moves in cycles. And there’s not just one way to win. When I came to Pittsburgh in 2014, the trends had been flip-flopping back and forth. L.A. won with size and physicality. Chicago won with skill and discipline. (Personally, the Blackhawks are my favorite team to watch and learn from.) Then the Kings won again … size again. Then Chicago won again … skill again. Once a team wins with a certain philosophy, the rest of the league moves to either copy or counter it.

The answer isn’t to follow along with the trends. The answer is to figure out the best identity for your team. 

Lol he just described the Benning era in a nutshell about chasing a style and identity.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, MJDDawg said:

I'm torn about this. While good that Aquaman has now hired two veterans to help steer the titanic, the cynic in me thinks this confirms my worst fears about the owner wanting to continue to meddle in hockey operations going forward by hiring unproven first timers in those roles or old coots who will be willing to make a deal with the devil and put up with the meddling just to get one last kick at the cat before getting put into a retirement community in Florida or Palm Springs. 

Talk about a history of trading away draft picks. Rutherford should be in the "mortgage the future" Hall of Fame and makes Benning look like an amateur.

And realistically, the only time in the last 8 years this team has truly been ready for retool vs rebuild is now. 

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

When has he done this?

He moved a 1st for JT Miller who had 4 years left on his contract at 5.25 million cap hit and has been arguably our best forward since we acquired him.

He moved a 1st that eventually netted OEL (top pair dman or at worst a top 4 dman) and Garland (arguably our 2nd best forward this year given Petey's and Boeser's early struggles). Neither are rentals.

Has Benning made some bad trades? Sure, but name me one GM who hasn't many any bad moves. Certainly this "moving a 1st for a rental" is quite wrong though.

you are correct

but he did trade a 2nd for a rental

in fact he flushed a lot of 2nds down the pooper

• Huggy Bear 1

26 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I think you will find that if the Pens didn't already have 87/71 from a previous regime there wouldn't have been a lot to celebrate in Pittsburgh.  Rutherford had a terrible draft history in Pitt., just terrible. 

https://www.pensburgh.com/2020/6/11/21287782/2020-update-on-penguins-drafting-under-jim-rutherford

In addition to having a terrible draft history, he trades a lot of picks - 5 of his last 7 first rounders (I believe) he traded away for what have you.  Like I said, if Letang, Crosby, Malkin weren't already there I think people would have a much different perspective on Rutherford. 

I don't care if he's the president and 'mentoring' a new GM in the 'in's&out's' of how the league runs, but having him making trades/personnel moves/draft picks for this club for an extended period of time concerns me greatly.  I'm also very worried that Rutherford will recruit Botterill as he has made a lot of questionable moves in a short time-period:

https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-jason-botterill-what-went-wrong/

I'm nowhere near as happy with this announcement as some, but I'm open to letting it play out.....

This was my gut feeling as well.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Gillis transformed our bottom end.  He did inherit the core but he made many changes to the team.

Also changed the entire way the team conducted business.  Diet, sleep, etc.

And do you know Rutherford didn’t have a hand in transforming things behind the scenes?

He also made many additions to their team around an already established core. Also hired the coach that took them to back to back cups.

You can’t dismiss what either did.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, singing chef said:

Isn't it interesting how, for many years, posters ragged on having Sutter as an "overpaid 3rd. line PK centre" and wanted him gone.  Now that he's on the IR we're pining for a "PK right shot centre".  I believe Sutter is a PK right shot centre.........  

Odd they didn't claim Nash. Good enough for Tampa, but not us?! I would of claimed him, Dickenson on the wing. Dickenson looks great there.

30 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I think you will find that if the Pens didn't already have 87/71 from a previous regime there wouldn't have been a lot to celebrate in Pittsburgh.  Rutherford had a terrible draft history in Pitt., just terrible. 

https://www.pensburgh.com/2020/6/11/21287782/2020-update-on-penguins-drafting-under-jim-rutherford

In addition to having a terrible draft history, he trades a lot of picks - 5 of his last 7 first rounders (I believe) he traded away for what have you.  Like I said, if Letang, Crosby, Malkin weren't already there I think people would have a much different perspective on Rutherford. 

I don't care if he's the president and 'mentoring' a new GM in the 'in's&out's' of how the league runs, but having him making trades/personnel moves/draft picks for this club for an extended period of time concerns me greatly.  I'm also very worried that Rutherford will recruit Botterill as he has made a lot of questionable moves in a short time-period:

https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-jason-botterill-what-went-wrong/

I'm nowhere near as happy with this announcement as some, but I'm open to letting it play out.....

They were in win now mode and they won 2 cups.

GMs, like coaches, have a shelf life.

And he's not GM, he's Pres.

I think this is perfect 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

I'm torn about this. While good that Aquaman has now hired two veterans to help steer the titanic, the cynic in me thinks this confirms my worst fears about the owner wanting to continue to meddle in hockey operations going forward by hiring unproven first timers in those roles or old coots who will be willing to make a deal with the devil and put up with the meddling just to get one last kick at the cat before getting put into a retirement community in Florida or Palm Springs. 

Talk about a history of trading away draft picks. Rutherford should be in the "mortgage the future" Hall of Fame and makes Benning look like an amateur.

So you acknowledge he’s POHO but yet you’re worried he’s going to mortgage the future? See some here are already having a hard time as it is understanding he’s POHO acting as interim GM. But then there’s some who understand he’s POHO but worried he’s going to dismantle the team? 

This thread is becoming a bit of a joke. 

Aquilini had Jim in his iPhone and accidentally dialed the wrong number. Benning thought he was going to get rehired. 

I’m okay with this. My only concern is these guys we are hiring are really old. We are going from daddy Bruce to granddaddy Jim in the span of a week. I’m concerned for their health.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

And realistically, the only time in the last 8 years this team has truly been ready for retool vs rebuild is now. 

I was ready in 2012

Not sure why the team wasn't

44 minutes ago, BCNate said:

OK, please repeat after me....Rutherford is President of Hockey Operations. 

He is not he GM of this team, he is in charge of finding the GM of this team.

The moves that he made as a GM are irrellevant, as he is not the GM here.

We just got the buffer between Aquilini and hockey ops that we have wanted for years.  A buffer that comes with 3 Stanley cups on his resume.  Regardless of what people on hockey boards say, Rutherford is experienced, successful, and repsected in the hockey world.  Having him here increases the quality of GM's that we can target.  

This is a huge win for this franchise.

Yup, and he probably won't be the interim guy for long. He doesn't want to be GM, dunno why people are panicking about him making GM decisions.

55 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Really? People are upset by this move? That is ridiculous. Rutherford is a well known and well respected name in hockey. His name alone improves the caliber of GM this team can attract. Lombardi may consider it. I know I would seeing how this team is playing under Boudreau. 

A couple of trades, one for a true top right defenseman, will be of short order, I'm assuming. By the newly hired Gm and not Rutherford though. 

Yup, his is a name that commands respect. Teams will take him seriously, and most of the executives out there have likely had a working relationship with him for years. He should be able to find us a quality GM. I'm not even expecting him to make a single trade.

41 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Makes sense given his age, someone else can step into the president role later on.

26 minutes ago, Darius said:

Its a three year contract. In light of his age you got to think hes here to settle things down, mentor someone else for the role, and get a GM in here that will be a longer term solution. 

I see the hiring of these older guys, BB and JR, as a short term stabilizer for the org.  

And boy do we need that stability after these last eight years, it's a breath of fresh air. 

22 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Just kind of wondering how Aquilini could do this to smyl?

Did you see how happy the guy was and honored to be given a shot.  At the press conference I havent seen a guy so happy....

Then days later you name a new interm GM?

Wtf?

There's no way Smyl didn't know about it before we did, and there's no guarantee Smyl even wanted the position. Speculation doesn't mean $&!#.

5 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

I don't see him being a doormat for Aqua, at his age and given the success he's had he doesn't exactly have a whole lot of reasons to just roll over for Aqua. It's not as if he needs the money at this point. 

Plus, he won't be the GM, he won't be the guy reaching out to try and construct trades.