The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

If Chychrun were an RD or one of his caliber were similarly available I’d be pretty enthused to chase it rather than the slow and steady JR is preaching right now.  It’s also the type of move that’s right up his alley. 

If the Nucks do get Chycrun, simple solution is to move Quinn to right D.

If I were J.R. I'd think about asking B.B. if he'd try Quinn on the right side for a couple of games, just to see if that would work long term.

• Cheers 1

So far in the limited time he’s been here I’ve really enjoy JR s presser

to the point and refreshing 

no fluff.

Just barely making the playoffs isn’t JRs focus so I don’t think a playoff position is as important as some might think this atleast this  season 

he wants a team that can win and contend 

if a trade is available that makes us better next year and beyond but hurts this season id expect him to do it regardless of the fringe wildcard possibility. 
Miller  I think is the big name to watch - sell high. (What a concept) 

BB has been a very present surprise to I knew he was a good coach but I didn’t realize the positivity and the sense of humour he had in dealing with the media

Interesting to look back at one of the biggest trades Rutherford made while with the Canes.

He traded Sutter, Dumoulin, and the 8th overall pick (Pouliot) in the 2012 draft for young rising center Jordan Staal.

I mean at first glance it looks like a win for the Canes considering Staal is still with the Canes playing a key role. 

However considering Dumoulin is still with the Pens, Sutter ended up getting traded for a key piece to their cup win (#thanksjim), and even though the 8th overall was wasted it could have easily equaled Trouba or Forsberg.

Just interesting looking at a blockbuster Rutherford was involved in. Neither trade ended up hurting their franchise. You could argue both teams won in that trade in the end. We’ll see what kind of pieces he gets in an eventual Miller trade. Hopefully he uses his top 10 pick better than Shero did if he gets one.

Edited by DeNiro

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Latest rumour from Friedman links us to Ryan Bowness from the Pens.

He is their director of pro scouting. And yes he is Rick’s son. So that could potentially be three Pens execs moving over here...

It’s inevitable. You just hope since we are in a different situation with assets to actually trade for big value that these guys are great in that regard. Crosby/Malkin/Letang were never going anywhere and they were always adding to them. JR and co haven’t had a Miller/Boeser/Horvat and possibly Pettersson to work with in negotiations.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Latest rumour from Friedman links us to Ryan Bowness from the Pens.

He is their director of pro scouting. And yes he is Rick’s son. So that could potentially be three Pens execs moving over here...

Gotta be honest, I have faith in JR but that doesn't thrill me. Such Penguins heavy flavour makes me question the legitimacy of their executive search. 

• Vintage 1

I too am a little, how do you put it, uneasy? with it being too penguin heavy. 

However, it's just rumors and it's such an easy link to make with JR working for the pens before. JR was talking about 40 people on the list so it's not surprising a few of them are from the penguins organization. 

We will see how things shake up. At the end of the day, hire the best people you can find for each positition. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I too am a little, how do you put it, uneasy? with it being too penguin heavy. 

However, it's just rumors and it's such an easy link to make with JR working for the pens before. JR was talking about 40 people on the list so it's not surprising a few of them are from the penguins organization. 

We will see how things shake up. At the end of the day, hire the best people you can find for each positition. 

Exactly - I have no issue with JR considering 5+ People from the pens out of 40 (more if AGM is included?). Then again, there's a difference between being on a list and getting an interview, but regardless, it's just rumours and we don't know why they have surfaced. As long as it's max 1/3 of the hires that's from the pens I'm ok with it. 

On 1/5/2022 at 5:12 AM, D.B Cooper said:

How silly. 

3 Russians

2 Swedes 

2 Fins

1 Canadian

1 American

1German. 

9-10 are from top hockey countries.  
Those are all quality prospects.  

We have 1 in Russia, and we all know he is a long shot.  

I dunno.  I think they are doing pretty good over there in Carolina. 

Like I said, I bet only 1 or 2 of those prospects will ever make it into the NHL.

We seen first hand (Schroeder, Juolevi, and to a lesser extent Hodgson) that even though a player dominates the tournament. They do not bring the same success to the NHL level. 

19 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Gotta be honest, I have faith in JR but that doesn't thrill me. Such Penguins heavy flavour makes me question the legitimacy of their executive search. 

Yeah. A little concerned that so many of those potential people that JR could be adding to, seem to be all linked with the Pens. Why haven’t we heard from anyone else linked to JR from any other organization other than Pitts? 

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. A little concerned that so many of those potential people that JR could be adding to, seem to be all linked with the Pens. Why haven’t we heard from anyone else linked to JR from any other organization other than Pitts? 

Not sure, but as mentioned above making the Rutherford/Penguins connection in the media is an easy play 

Guess we'll just have to wait and see 

23 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

The Penguins are a first class organization and have an indisputable winning culture. I think we could do a lot worse than adding a couple Pens' execs... 

Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury started that winning culture.

Before that it was Lemieux and Jagr. 

It helps to have generational players to facilitate that winning culture.

• Cheers 1

On 1/5/2022 at 3:06 PM, Me_ said:

Benning… is it that guy who built a team capable of bringing Vegas close to collapse? The same Benning which has assembled an 8-0-1 team?

Let’s not cancel culture everything we don’t agree with. 

Benning built this team.

Yikes… now there is some nutbar factor 10 confirmation bias.

Benning assembled a team that was consistently one of the worst in the league for years even while spending to the cap and trading away futures.  The only teams worse were cap floor disasters.  The team got worse during his tenure and not better.  The roster Gillis left him did better.

We won a single season playoff series in that entire span and missed the playoffs almost every year.   That Vegas series was horrifying to watch except for Demko having probably the best stretch of playoff games of any goalie in the modern era.  Our team was badly outplayed by a Vegas team that was punted in 5 games their next round.

He was terrible at his job, time to move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury started that winning culture.

Before that it was Lemieux and Jagr. 

It helps to have generational players to facilitate that winning culture.

Lemieux, Coffey, Trottier, Francis, Murphy, Jagr, Barrasso, Mullen, Stevens, Tocchet, Recchi, Gordie Roberts...  Those 90s Penguins were unreal in skill, experience and leadership.

10 hours ago, Provost said:

Yikes… now there is some nutbar factor 10 confirmation bias.

Benning assembled a team that was consistently one of the worst in the league for years even while spending to the cap and trading away futures.  The only teams worse were cap floor disasters.  The team got worse during his tenure and not better.  The roster Gillis left him did better.

We won a single season playoff series in that entire span and missed the playoffs almost every year.   That Vegas series was horrifying to watch except for Demko having probably the best stretch of playoff games of any goalie in the modern era.  Our team was badly outplayed by a Vegas team that was punted in 5 games their next round.

He was terrible at his job, time to move on.

That would be the Benning, who's team who is 8-0-1 in the last 9? 

Yes, but I'm quite sure most GM's would prefer to take over Canucks now to what Gilles left with all the players lock in NTCs and MTCs (and I'm one of those who understood  why NTCs and NMCs were handed out... 

• Cheers 1