The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, DeNiro said:

Canucks fans really hype Brackett too much…

There are far better options of assistant GMs who can draft and have actual experience in the role.

I don't want Brackett for a gm personally, but I feel as though him and or a guy like Al Murray would be nothing but aces for this team in terms of drafting.  They both have a rumoured legendary ability to pick in the later rounds and that's what success is built on long term

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Murray as AGM and Brackett as GM then fine.

We'll draft every gem between pick 1 and pick 500

A modern GM, like a known Brackett would be better than an already, failed GM in Botterill.  He reminds, me of Weisbrod - corporate rat or Green a poser coach and both mediocre.

If this is true - this would be a very typical Canuck move.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the team purposely leaks false rumours to him just to mess with him.

No one in the Canucks organization respects Drance. I doubt he has real sources. He’s just throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Good point and Drance seems to be the toilet that is use to test an idea because he refuses nothing - what a tool !

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I’m thinking with Rutherford and Boudreau in place they’ll have no problem attracting qualified GMs to fill the empty position.

Aquilinis doing exactly what they need to do to right the ship. They deserve some credit, and maybe some forgiveness.

image.gif.d2eef074ef5a6ac6225a6d09459d04cb.gif

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, someone from teams that had been successful rebuilding & competing in the NHL....

Last 3 years of Carolina, after consistent playoff misses:

Lost Conference Finals

Lost 1st Round (won qualifiers)

Lost 2nd round:

Colorado:

Lost 2nd round

Lost 2nd round

Lost 2nd round

Detroit:

Missed playoffs

Missed playoffs

Missed playoffs

Tampa of course has had sustained success.  Carolina's been just as successful as Colorado over the last 3 years though.

8 minutes ago, combover said:

Someone with a history of WINNING  would nice. 
An ex Buffalo gm for three years doesn’t sound very good. 
Buffalo  is our expansion brother we should leave their exs alone. 

Ditto: Botterill is already a failed GM - Weisbrod 2.0 or the equivalent of Green in management.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

I'm cautiously optimistic with the move, but for me it's more about hearing Aqualini and Smyl tell us fans only a few days ago that they're going to be patient with the hiring and exercise all of their options, and then they go and hire JR right away. I'm just tired of us fans not being told the truth. They say they want to communicate better, well, then do it. Don't say one thing, thinking it's what we want to hear, and then do another. Be straight up with us, that's all. We can handle the truth.

Quite possibly there was interest from another club…maybe PHI? The mgmt group was likely canvassed, along with Bruuuuuuuce, and the timing was now rather than later and risk losing out

45 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

From section 50.5(f) of the CBA:

• A player can only sign an extension in the final year of their contract

• For players on a one-year contract, they need to wait until January 1

• There are limits to how much a contract extension can be worth, to prevent cap circumvention

Okay thank you.

So on your third point then how does that apply to JT?

If that's too low it kind of prevents negotiating a deal prior to the contract being up. 

Lends to the idea of trading him especially if by the deadline it looks like we're out of playoff contention.

I really want to keep him. 

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Last 3 years of Carolina, after consistent playoff misses:

Lost Conference Finals

Lost 1st Round (won qualifiers)

Lost 2nd round:

Colorado:

Lost 2nd round

Lost 2nd round

Lost 2nd round

Detroit:

Missed playoffs

Missed playoffs

Missed playoffs

Tampa of course has had sustained success.  Carolina's been just as successful as Colorado over the last 3 years though.

Any executives, under the leadership of Sakic, Yzerman and etc - basically, anyone outside of the ever rebuilding clubs of Buf, Ott, Ari and etc.   Hiring Botterill would be like, re hiring Green as the GM - clueless on what it takes  to win in the NHL.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I think it can only be discussed in last year.

Can be discussed whenever.  There are restrictions when it can be filed with central registry though.

If players are on a 1 year deal - 6 months ahead ie 1 January.

If players are on a multi-year deal - a year ahead.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Dubas modern?

No, not clueless idiot modern. McFarland or Tulsky modern. Something along those lines. Guy's that have been big parts of teams that are winning and well built.

45 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Ah k. Yeah then it's just a difference of opinion. I think a prime Petey is a great core piece and Horvat (if under the right coach), but I think we still need a piece or two high end point getters to become cup contenders with rounded out depth. I'm not particularly sold on Boeser being a great core piece even when he is going and guys like Podz and Hoglander have great potential but they can also possibly not meet those potentials for me. 

It's decent, but is it Stanley Cup level decent if we were to acquire what you think we need? I'm not sure it's quite there yet. 

But it's all opinion anyways! Hopefully Boeser and Petey turn it around so we can see how it plays out! 

Well yeah, that's up to the new management group to figure out. Maybe you're right and Boeser is the odd man out? I'm not opposed to it. I think it's likely one of the two (or long shot, Horvat) that is our 'Duchene' move.

That said, Boeser is younger, arguably our MVP last year, one of the better one shot scorers in the league, an above average play maker, has rounded out his 2 way game... if he could just get faster!:lol:

Otherwise, I think we have a lot of the pieces. The core is largely here minus the 2RHD, 3C and 3LHD I mentioned to round it out. And we have lots of prospects, in all positions to fight to the top to fill depth roles. The roster needs tweaks and to continue to draft/develop well, not an overhaul IMO. Even better if a few of those 'depth' guys surprise (which there's a half decent chance of).

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Drance in his cave stirring up rumors. 

99D04F335A09555627

It makes sense now, with Drance: turd in; turd out and then chucks it , to see what sticks. 

I wonder, what he ate to come up with that turd: the Green is a desirable coach in the NHL, narrative ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Haha 2