The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Lol does he even speak French?

Kent Hughes is from Montreal and bilingual apparently, so I'm sure that played a part. 

Maybe it will work out for them since they have Gorton, who clearly will be running things for a while yet. I'm glad we're not experimenting like this tho.

I understand people have some concerns about Rutherford assembling a group he already knows, but its looking like it will be a pretty seasoned group too, which is something I care more about. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The longer we get a rear view of JB the more damage done by him is clear.  He left JR with a huge pile of poop as far as options going forward.

At the very best, the team just treaded water the whole 8 years. Mostly languishing in the basement.

So at least we've improved on our draft prospect pool right?  Not so much.

Rated at 28th the year before, after Gillis's last draft, we jumped to 21st in the league after Bennings first draft.  And that jump was based on a (retroactively) bad projection that Virtanen would be a top six impact player.  And also based on McCann being a good two way forward for them.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2108713-re-ranking-every-teams-prospect-pool-after-2014-nhl-draft

New Talent: The Vancouver Canucks added two first-round selections and, as a result, moved smartly up the rankings. Jake Virtanen is a budding power forward, and Jared McCann is among the best two-way forwards in the 2014 draft.

https://dobberhockey.com/2021/07/31/the-journey-2021-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings/

The latest ranking, from the last I could find from mid 2021, has us at 22nd.  Down one spot.

Still lacking even all our delegated picks.

Still spent up to the cap. Including taking on an albatross contract, OEL, that will most likely cause issues in the future.

Podkolzin, Hoglander are coming along fine. But we forget that the NHL is getting younger and better and faster on every team out there. It would be nice to have a few more of those coming up the pike.

Its going to be a difficult row to hoe for JR.  I'm just happy that Aqualini has finally hired a management and coaching staff who is capable of getting us out of it, and hopefully somehow protect the most competitive players in our core, and also build a prospect pool for the future.

Edited by kilgore
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, kilgore said:

The longer we get a rear view of JB the more damage done by him is clear.  He left JR with a huge pile of poop as far as options going forward.

At the very best, the team just treaded water the whole 8 years. Mostly languishing in the basement.

So at least we've improved on our draft prospect pool right?  Not so much.

Rated at 28th the year before, after Gillis's last draft, we jumped to 21st in the league after Bennings first draft.  And that jump was based on a (retroactively) bad projection that Virtanen would be a top six impact player.  And also based on McCann being a good two way forward for them.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2108713-re-ranking-every-teams-prospect-pool-after-2014-nhl-draft

New Talent: The Vancouver Canucks added two first-round selections and, as a result, moved smartly up the rankings. Jake Virtanen is a budding power forward, and Jared McCann is among the best two-way forwards in the 2014 draft.

https://dobberhockey.com/2021/07/31/the-journey-2021-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings/

The latest ranking, from the last I could find from mid 2021, has us at 22nd.  Down one spot.

Still lacking even all our delegated picks.

Still spent up to the cap. Including taking on an albatross contract, OEL, that will most likely cause issues in the future.

Podkolzin, Hoglander are coming along fine. But we forget that the NHL is getting younger and better and faster on every team out there. It would be nice to have a few more of those coming up the pike.

Its going to be a difficult row to hoe for JR.  I'm just happy that Aqualini has finally hired a management and coaching staff who is capable of getting us out of it, and hopefully somehow protect the most competitive players in our core, and also build a prospect pool for the future.

The Athletic has our prospect pool ranked 28th! Should be better next year if we trade some of our players for picks and prospects (Miller for a 1st and RHD prospect?). Given no second round pick this draft, 2 firsts would be helpful.

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

The Athletic has our prospect pool ranked 28th! Should be better next year if we trade some of our players for picks and prospects (Miller for a 1st and RHD prospect?). Given no second round pick this draft, 2 firsts would be helpful.

to hell with the present, let's live for the future! the athletic prospect pool rankings is the new stanley cup.

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2022 at 1:33 PM, steviewonder20 said:

Pretty idiotic to deal our 9th overall last off season to get better now, then next year trade our good roster players for picks and prospects to get better in the future then probably next off season trade those picks and prospects again to fill the holes left when we traded those good roster players in previous years for picks and prospects. Dont you find it idiotic? Either fully rebuild or fully go in, this half step doing rebuilds and then next year competing for a cup gets us nowhere. Teams either have a contending roster and bad farm teams or have great farm teams but are mediocre NHL teams. You cant have a number 1 farm team AND be a cup contender at same time. Stop day dreaming about it, that will never happen in NHL.

28 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Pretty idiotic to deal our 9th overall last off season to get better now, then next year trade our good roster players for picks and prospects to get better in the future then probably next off season trade those picks and prospects again to fill the holes left when we traded those good roster players in previous years for picks and prospects. Dont you find it idiotic? Either fully rebuild or fully go in, this half step doing rebuilds and then next year competing for a cup gets us nowhere. Teams either have a contending roster and bad farm teams or have great farm teams but are mediocre NHL teams. You cant have a number 1 farm team AND be a cup contender at same time. Stop day dreaming about it, that will never happen in NHL.

Here is the problem I see with your take,

We have undergone a paradigm shift

this shift took place Dec. 6th when the old guard was replaced with the new guard

At that point we handed the direction of the team over to Jim Rutherford  

at that point there was a break in the direction the club was headed

what makes no sense to me is to expect the new regime to continue the direction the old regime was heading

So, there will be some steps backward in Benning's direction/plan because Benning was headed in the wrong direction

Rutherford has repairs to make, holes to fill and cap issues to fix

the only real difference between where New Jim is and Old Jim was when he arrived is that New Jim  has a younger core to work with.

the holes and bad contracts are almost identical

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Colorado has a pretty good pipeline.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, lmm said:

this shift took place Dec. 6th when the old guard was replaced with the new guard

what makes no sense to me is to expect the new regime to continue the direction the old regime was heading

So, there will be some steps backward in Benning's direction/plan because Benning was headed in the wrong direction

the only real difference between where New Jim is and Old Jim was when he arrived is that New Jim  has a younger core to work with.

Not to argue with you @lmm, butl I like to think, that have a young core compared to ageing one makes an enormous difference...

Not sure about the bad contract issues neither...

Maybe I'm wrong, but as per cap friendly only 5 players have NMC/NTC (modified in their contracts). 

The remaining players are on good contracts and definitely movable contracts.

Person modified NMC next season and gone

OEL NMC for another 5 years

Myers Modified NTC another 2 years

Hamonic  Modified NTC another 2 years

Ferland (irrelevant)

There is a huge difference between this and what Benning took over. Had Sedins not decided to fall over the same cliff as LE then maybe,

But the contracts Luongo, Sedins, Kesler etc was on were worse.

But most importantly comparing the rosters from 13-14 and the roster now, I'd like to think our roster now is both better and much more movable should JR decide to go down that route, than it was when Benning took over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Colorado has a pretty good pipeline.

With Byram and Newhook on their roster, their pool drops down significantly.   But they are the poster boys of what a couple trades can do.   Byram was a total fluke ... nobody predicted a team that was one goal from the final to completely implode.   All the way to best odds for first overall.   

That said Miller is our trade chip and maybe we should use it.   So is Brock Boeser (who's agent was a complete a-hole last negotiation) and so is Horvat.  Same with Demko, same with QHs and so is EP.    Who do we trade to fix this?

12 hours ago, lmm said:

I don't see much of  anything that's identical.  When JB took over even players like Hansen had full clauses.   Hamhuis, Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler, Sedins ... all were at the edge or already well into their back nine and enjoying their legacy deals.    They did work for it...Burrows especially deserved his deal because of the discount he took before.   And the few guys that didn't have clauses weren't getting you dick. 

This team is a lot like the Linden team and Keenan just took over.   It's open season to who can get traded...we can trade anyone but OEL and Pearson this year.   All but two players.   Horvat if we want, like Linden before him.   Or Miller like Bure etc.   We have options - and so did JB before he was fired.    Cap issues are nothing at all like they were back then.    But they could become like that if we aren't careful.   This teams just entering its early window.   It's not wide but it's there.  Nothing wrong with seeing how it plays out this year - if we are out by the TDL pull the cord - if not we can always wait until the draft.   If we win two rounds - then maybe we help them win more next season.   

Edit: By window - it's playoff window.   Like all teams get at some point.   A contender?   Well that would take a really solid hockey mind and some lucky trades to figure out.   Like Bure and Lumme, plus trading Butcher for Ronning, Momesso Lafayette, and Nedved for Brown and Hedican.   Or the Linden tree. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2