The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Dec. 16, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

43 minutes ago, hammertime said:

If the players decide to walk out I support them. 

Walk out of what? The rest of NHL season? 

If they walk out they lose billion dollars in salary.

They don't want to walk out anymore than the team owners want to shut them out.  

NHL is a business. Players and owners are 50/50 partners in the business.  

This isn't an owners vs players issue. They are partners and equally motivated to keep playing. If the league gets shut down it will be with agreement and a plan from both sides, players and owners combined.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

This isn't an owners vs players issue. They are partners and equally motivated to keep playing. If the league gets shut down it will be with agreement and a plan from both sides, players and owners combined.  

Nick Suzuki was one player in favour of shutting down once they announced no fans in Montreal. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Kinda seems like there are players who would prefer not to put themselves and their families at risk and wait to continue the season when it is safe to do so.

"The players have to play; they don't get to make final decisions on certain things." 

I'm sorry not sorry Jim Rutherford the players should have the final say on if they are going to play or not. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Kinda seems like there are players who would prefer not to put themselves and their families at risk and wait to continue the season when it is safe to do so.

"The players have to play; they don't get to make final decisions on certain things." 

I'm sorry not sorry Jim Rutherford the players should have the final say on if they are going to play or not. 

The players do they...If they don't want to play they inform the team and forfeit all further earnings for that season. Your cap hit is removed from the team and the team moves forward replacing opt out players internally, via trade or FA signing.

If most players choose to opt out, then the season is cancelled. Travis Hamonic opted out with Calgary, other athletes opted out in there major leagues as well and forfeited pay while MOST continued to play.

Nobody is holding a gun to any players head forcing them to go on the ice and play the game of hockey. BY opting out you lose out on lots of $$$ and possible your spot on the team etc BUT you get to stay safe at home with your family. You can't have it all, many REAL world people would like to NOT have to go to work but we ALL do because we don't make PRO Athlete $$$ to be able to AFFORD to stay in a bubble in our homes and still afford to live a decent quality of life

33 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Players don't have to play. Any player can opt out at any time they wish to..

Miller can call the team and tell them he's done for the season right now if he wishes. 

No one is forced to do anything. Lol. Can't believe people actually believe that it would be possible for a team to force a player to play..  lol.

Unbelievable that people will believe any thing they here. Without putting a single second of though into the info having any chance to be based in reality.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Demko has nothing to do with what I was discussing, I’m referring to Benning letting Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli walk for nothing.

if I had been running the team then I would have let Markstrom walk and keep Toffoli and Tanev even if it meant losing out on Schmidt who I myself was really high on acquiring then too.  I feel like letting all three walk for nothing was the wrong message to send to the team after what they had gone through in the bubble. 

Schmidt didn't walk for nothing, he was acquired for a third and then traded for a third. It's a wash. He also wanted out and was using his NTC to block trades he didn't want before eventually waiving it for Winnipeg. 

Markstrom was allowed to walk because the team chose Demko. The only way to have gotten something for him would have been to have traded him before the deadline, UFA rights have minimal value. They were chasing the playoffs for better or worse, moving Markstrom and Tanev would have been an admission of giving up and the weren't willing to do that. Demko hadn't shown what he had in the bubble at that point and they were actually stumbling down the stretch after Marky got hurt. If not for math and a canceled regular season we probably wouldn't have made it at all.

They went out an acquired Toffoli to replace an injured Boeser instead. Not even talking to Toffoli as a UFA was admittedly strange though. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Can they call up anyone? There won’t be enough players on Abbotsford to ice a team for the next game in Henderson. 

Could see them trying to sign some PTOs for Abbotsford.    

With them in Henderson not sure they'll risk bringing someone up - they might prefer to have everyone just charter back together and go with no extra for a game.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Schmidt didn't walk for nothing, he was acquired for a third and then traded for a third. It's a wash. He also wanted out and was using his NTC to block trades he didn't want before eventually waiving it for Winnipeg. 

Markstrom was allowed to walk because the team chose Demko. The only way to have gotten something for him would have been to have traded him before the deadline, UFA rights have minimal value. They were chasing the playoffs for better or worse, moving Markstrom and Tanev would have been an admission of giving up and the weren't willing to do that. Demko hadn't shown what he had in the bubble at that point and they were actually stumbling down the stretch after Marky got hurt. If not for math and a canceled regular season we probably wouldn't have made it at all.

They went out an acquired Toffoli to replace an injured Boeser instead. Not even talking to Toffoli as a UFA was admittedly strange though. 

I never said Schmidt walked for nothing. 

• Huggy Bear 1