The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Bans Single Use Plastic Bags On January 1, 2022

DonLever

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

They sound ideal.  Get groceries, and then the bag goes in the kitchen and bathroom garbage cans.  Then they collect garbage and go to the dump where they decompose 100%.  That’s a win all around, no?  Paper works too, of course.  

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

the ones I had in the shops lasted a couple years

Edit: haha, I was typing while you guys were having these good questions that I was also thinking. 

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Been stockpiling these bags as I used them for garbage bags.

Once I can't get anymore, I'll have to start buying garbage bags...made of plastic.

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

My life just got more complicated when the wife forgets to bring her reusable shopping bags.

5tri39.gif

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

It's how I do it, Alf.  I don't buy garbage bags because I reuse shopping bags like you do and so now I will be forced to buy...garbage bags.  Seems a little pointless to me.

Me toooooooo. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Any reduction in plastic shopping bags in the environment is a good thing. We were much better off when people used paper bags for everything. 

They should not be charging for paper bags IMO. They are biodegradable and come from a renewable resource. They can also be reused many times as long as they are kept dry.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

As everyone that grew up before the 1970's knows, there were no plastic bags nor were there disposable cups besides stryofoam.   Paper bags were used for groceries, paper wrapping for things like meat.  Milk came in bottles back then.   Clothing was put in paper bags.  Better clothing like suits and jackets were put in boxes.

In a way we are reverting back to the old days, coming full circle.

On the other hand, there no fast food restaurants back then, nor there big supermarkets like Walmart or RCSS.

We gotten used to modern day conveniences and it reverting to the old days is a pain.  Who carries re-usable mugs around with them all the time and I certainly do not want want germs from someone else's dirty cup.   In the old days paper was perfectly ok since groceries were bought in the neighbourhood where you lived.  Hate to lug things in paper bags on buses and on the Skytrain in the rain.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

why is our government so stupid? Love having to buy garbage bags in bulk... Good job reducing plastic, morons.

Also I hate using paper bags. I intentionally bring a plastic bag in my pocket to 7-11 when I buy things because carrying things for 15 minutes in a paper bag is tiring.

Edited by Psycho_Path
  • Cheers 1

My only issue is the patchwork of places that outlaw them and others that don't.  Should outlawing things such as single use plastic bags really be a municipal issue?  Wouldn't it be better if it was consistent and they were banned for the whole province?

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, DonLever said:

As everyone that grew up before the 1970's knows, there were no plastic bags nor were there disposable cups besides stryofoam.   Paper bags were used for groceries, paper wrapping for things like meat.  Milk came in bottles back then.   Clothing was put in paper bags.  Better clothing like suits and jackets were put in boxes.

In a way we are reverting back to the old days, coming full circle.

On the other hand, there no fast food restaurants back then, nor there big supermarkets like Walmart or RCSS.

We gotten used to modern day conveniences and it reverting to the old days is a pain.  Who carries re-usable mugs around with them all the time and I certainly do not want want germs from someone else's dirty cup.   In the old days paper was perfectly ok since groceries were bought in the neighbourhood where you lived.  Hate to lug things in paper bags on buses and on the Skytrain in the rain.

My Melmacian friend likes to bring his own re-usable mug whenever we have lunch at Wendy's or McDonalds.  He just re-fills the mug at the self-serve dispensers. :ph34r:

I tell him that is WRONG but won't listen to me.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Okay, do our plastic bags go from bringing home the groceries to used as a kitchen garbage bag.  I think a lot of people do the same, because the grocery garbage bags fit nicely into a kitchen/bathroom garbage can.  Really, who just throws out their plastic grocery bag?  Very few, right?  These bags are already more than single use.  

So now we will all buy plastic kitchen garbage bags.  Same number of plastic bags will be used.  Why not just gonto paper bags and have those bags made at our local paper mills?  Then st least we are helping the local economy.  

How about we don't create that much waste that we need to use any single use plastic product in the first place.

We got rid of single use shopping bags a year or 2 ago.

I use the paper bags I get my pharma products in which are smallish to put my garbage in.

After using all vegetable matter as compost and recycling all items that can be recycled I do not "create" that much crap that has to be stored in landfill.

https://www.onyalife.com/3-reasons-why-the-world-needs-to-cut-down-on-single-use-plastic/

Edited by Ilunga
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, goalie13 said:

My only issue is the patchwork of places that outlaw them and others that don't.  Should outlawing things such as single use plastic bags really be a municipal issue?  Wouldn't it be better if it was consistent and they were banned for the whole province?

If Vancouver handles this the way they did bike lanes, this is going to be a poop show. Without a province-wide effort that makes sense this won't do much. 

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Just ask the paper mill in Powell River. 

I've had family work their for decades and it all comes to an end at the end of this month...big loss for the community, but I am surprised it lasted this long to be honest

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

If Vancouver handles this the way they did bike lanes, this is going to be a poop show. Without a province-wide effort that makes sense this won't do much. 

We have 13 municipalities south of the Malahat.  Some have banned plastic bags, some have not.  It's kind of ridiculous.

And besides that angle, municipalities should be worried about roads, parks, pipes and potholes, not plastic bags.

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Lol.  
Vancouver is the biggest goof show.  
So out of touch with the rest of the province. 

honestly there's a big disconnect between what the city gov't thinks is important and most people. So few people vote in municipal elections that you can get some pretty goofy candidates in there. Stewart is terrible, imo. 

• Cheers 1

Wonder what impact this will have on the forests of this great province.  I am all for trying to fix the environment just wonder if this will have ill intended ramifications.  Also it's super fun walking home from the shop with all your groceries in paper bags during a rain storm

This won't happen in the US for some time...the further south, the longer it will take. I could see cities in Calfornia adopting this practice. I, too, reuse those plastic bags. They're great for kitty litter disposal (sorry Alf, you can't have mine!), and for dumping my shred bin into the recycle can.

People ought to look into the use of hemp for plastic bags. They biodegrade inside of a year, and per acre are WAY more efficient than trees. 

Lastly, do they still use the plastic holders for six packs of drinks? If so, please cut the rings before disposal. There are pictures out there to show why.

11 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I think you’re looking for the negative aspect instead of focusing on the positive. Who cares if it’s a tax. The net result is a positive. 

I care because I need to see that money is going to something that has a chance of working. I don't trust this particular mayor to get it right. I'm fine with the idea in general but have major doubts about Stewart.